You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Battleships island hugging?

31 comments in this topic

Members
2,134 posts
4,850 battles

Starting from yesterday I've been seeing something really odd: Battleships thinking they are Atlantas and US cruisers. It's really annoying having to 'share' an island in a ship that's meant to hug islands. Sure it's nice to have the BB as a meat shield for a while, but these players often get way too close to me and my HE shells accidentally hit them. Today I became pink as a result of this. I'm not saying there aren't times when its appropriate to use island cover in a BB, but these BBs would be a lot more effective grouping up together and maximizing their firepower so I can do my job without accidentally hitting them. At the same time, they'd also be protecting me so I can rain shells. Today in a match I saw the friendly Nelson do this, he was right next to me. I checked his stats.... Less than 1000 PvP battles, 0.86 overall kill ratio, below average. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[TSPC]
Members
2,356 posts
7,209 battles

I can't decide whether you are complaining about battleships island hugging or complaining about that you went pink and want to blame it on a battleship parking by you.

• Funny 1

[SPTR]
Members
20,124 posts
5,665 battles

Completely viable strategy as someone who plays USN battleships a lot. The lower shell velocity comparitively allows for battleships to shoot over islands in concealment, and gives them a lot of advantages, and with the armor is a lot more flexible with islandhugging. Bow-camping on corridors is something that is a lot more viable and useful for Battleships, for example. Hugging your waifu(pillow) Island-chan as a Battleship is completely viable if you know how to position.

As for pink, you know the rules. You did it, they were your torpedoes or shells.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

OP stat shames anonymous person for turning him pink. 

Im confused.

• Funny 1

Members
150 posts
10 battles
1 minute ago, khaenn35 said:

Completely viable strategy as someone who plays USN battleships a lot. The lower shell velocity comparitively allows for battleships to shoot over islands in concealment, and gives them a lot of advantages, and with the armor is a lot more flexible with islandhugging. Bow-camping on corridors is something that is a lot more viable and useful for Battleships, for example. Hugging your waifu(pillow) Island-chan as a Battleship is completely viable if you know how to position.

Considering the broadsides of USN BBs are extremely easy to citadel, a few hundred feet of island armor protection is a great addition to the strength of the boat. Not to mention it is an entire flank that you don't have to worry about incoming torps.

[SPTR]
Members
20,124 posts
5,665 battles
16 minutes ago, k9kid12 said:

Considering the broadsides of USN BBs are extremely easy to citadel, a few hundred feet of island armor protection is a great addition to the strength of the boat. Not to mention it is an entire flank that you don't have to worry about incoming torps.

Only for T5-7, in some ways. The USN is easier, but not "easy" to cit, but yes, island hugging is a large shield for any boat, just that the USN ships with their slower velocities (especially North Carolina) and their rather good detection and bow-protection make island-hugging a really good tactic. Not to mention that it needs skill and positioning, but not too much that it needs a pro to make use of it: pros do it best but an average can work it just fine. 

[HINON]
Members
9,317 posts

Nelson is pretty easy to cit so islands can be quite helpful especially with so much forward firepower. 

• Cool 1

Members
150 posts
10 battles

So it seems like general consensus is this is a perfectly viable tactic for some BBs which means this is just another typical "I am pink and it isn't my fault" thread.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
333 posts
10,357 battles

I will reply as this just happened to me yesterday. A friendly Cesare (Stromboli of Doom) rammed me out of my smoke while I was trying to kill an enemy DD I just detected. I dodged his torpedoes, the DD got away, but during the brief engagement one of my shells set the Cesare on fire which in turn awarded me an attractive new pink camo for two games.  Played two Killer Whale scenarios, one of which we got five stars, and then back to randoms. 

We're responsible for where we're shooting so it's up to us to be careful. In my case I did less than 3k damage and didn't kill the BB but still got 'team killer status' anyway - boo hoo for me. Play a few scenarios and all good. In regards to the BB island humping, lots of reasons for that. Maybe he took a lot of damage already, maybe his repair was on cool down, maybe he didn't want to expose his broadside or get torped by a lurking DD, whatever. It's a game and just like in WOT if someone took your spot then you move to the next one.

Also, the stat shame thing, well, is a shame. With only a 1000 pvp matches maybe he doesn't have the experience yet.  Perhaps someone should message him about it instead of complaining on the forums where he'll never see it. Just my two cents.

Lu5tgUP.jpg

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
882 posts
7,387 battles

Personally, my tactics tend to be far more mobile and aggressive. I rarely ever hug an island to hide behind to lob shells over, the only times I regularly hide behind them is setting up a torpedo ambush, so I can't speak much of hugging islands harder then hippies hug trees. What I can say however, is that you should have been more aware of your surroundings.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,925 posts
5,386 battles

Island camping battleships are disgusting.  I enjoy flanking them and disposing of them with ease.

[SYJ]
Members
988 posts
2,257 battles

If your such an island camper, then you should know if your shells are going to make it over a friendly ship...

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
897 posts
5,289 battles
4 hours ago, _1204_ said:

If your such an island camper, then you should know if your shells are going to make it over a friendly ship...

This makes no sense. You do realise while your shooting over an island while your not spotted you can watch your shells all the way to the target and adjust. If some idiot puts himself in the small space between you and the island there is no way of knowing it till you hear "Do not fire on your allies". Granted you do have the minimap but when ships are that close the markers just blend together. This is what trolls do in this game. It's no different than having a tank parking right in front of a arty while he's aiming in WoT.

[WOLF7]
Members
10,340 posts
23 minutes ago, Mainerd said:

This makes no sense. You do realise while your shooting over an island while your not spotted you can watch your shells all the way to the target and adjust. If some idiot puts himself in the small space between you and the island there is no way of knowing it till you hear "Do not fire on your allies". Granted you do have the minimap but when ships are that close the markers just blend together. This is what trolls do in this game. It's no different than having a tank parking right in front of a arty while he's aiming in WoT.

No, it makes perfect sense if you have any situational awareness, and bother to look at the mini map more than once a game...:Smile_teethhappy:

If you're so focused on your target that you can't look at anything else, it's your mistake...not the other guys.

Edited by awiggin

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
897 posts
5,289 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

No, it makes perfect sense if you have any situational awareness, and bother to look at the mini map more than once a game...:Smile_teethhappy:

If you're so focused on your target that you can't look at anything else, it's your mistake...not the other guys.

I mentioned the mini map. What is a Scharnhorst that isn't under fire or even in the fight trying to place itself between a Cleveland or Atlanta and the island they are shooting over? I understand when someone is in survival mode doing it. With fast firing light cruisers you do better by staying focussed on your target or your going to have a 5% hit ratio with the rainbow arcs if your not watching where they land. It's just a way for people to troll in the game.

Members
3,999 posts
14,802 battles

Battleships island hugging?

Hey, islands need lotsa love too!

Island hugging is one thing but what ticks me off is BBs crowding me out of my smoke when I use smoke with my RN Cruisers. What's doubly annoying is that the dummies don't realize that smoke doesn't help them very much since most BBs are revealed at 11+ km while shooting from smoke.

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
335 posts

The fact we have island hugging at all in a game that is supposed to be ships sailing and shooting at each other, just makes me go Le Sigh..... 

Not saying in the scope of the game it is not viable or encouraged by the mechanics.

Cirran

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,963 posts
13,193 battles

An island is a tool.  A tool useful to all types of ships.  There is a time and place to use it, which varies by type, but there is a time and place...even for BBs.

Hell, the other day, I was a Biz in a T10 match.  Not only a Biz...but the ONLY T8 on my team.  Right off the bat, I drove into a cap with an island in the middle.  Yes, I was a T8 BB driving a cap!  But it wasn't a yolo.  I had lots of tactical options, and the island was one of them.  If a lone capper showed, I would engage and take the cap.  If a larger force showed, I would camp the island.  A larger force showed, so I went into camp mode.  Was able to hold the cap, while avoiding getting focused by half the enemy reds.  I had flank cruiser support which kept their DDs from flanking me, and I kept their CAs from pushing.  I eventually assisted in the cap.  Then I was able to bow tank a T10 BB, while backing into a friendly DD in smoke, acting as a temporary meat shield (but not by choice).  They eventually took me out, but I did my part.  And part of that was camping the island and holding up a superior force while my team did its job elsewhere, gaining the necessary attrition advantage to force the win.  That's the job of a T8 in a T10 heavy match.  And the island did its job too!  And I was rewarded with a mid point score on our team, which I gratefully accepted.   

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
897 posts
5,289 battles
15 minutes ago, Cirran said:

The fact we have island hugging at all in a game that is supposed to be ships sailing and shooting at each other, just makes me go Le Sigh..... 

Not saying in the scope of the game it is not viable or encouraged by the mechanics.

Cirran

https://explorethearchive.com/dutch-warship-pretended-to-be-an-island-evade-the-enemy

Clearly only a gamer would think of using an island for cover.