You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xalmgrey

What would make AP more attractive?

107 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
1,582 posts
3,627 battles

There's countless threads about HE and how the community feels on it, not gonna cover HE other than to say its a highly popular weapon on the high seas of late. Seems like more people are using it every day. I know there's the AP fusing to double damage DD's, this isn't that thread either. I'm just curious to know if people think AP needs to be made more attractive to shoot. Citadels are tasty, this we all can agree on. But outside of citadels AP doesn't seem to be as "noob" friendly as HE. Could AP be made better in some fashion?

Edited by xalmgrey

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,201 posts
10,644 battles

Nothing wrong with it. Players are just ignorant of when to use it. So educating them on its proper use would be the solution.

• Cool 17

Beta Testers
2,701 posts
12,432 battles
4 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I'm just curious to know if people think AP needs to be made more attractive

Some red lipstick often works, maybe put in a blond wig

• Funny 2

[WOLF4]
Members
1,582 posts
3,627 battles
7 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Some red lipstick often works, maybe put in a blond wig

lol nice.

I guess the way i asked the question begged for this so, my bad :P

Edited by xalmgrey

[WOLF4]
Members
1,582 posts
3,627 battles
5 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

Consistency. 

Yeah that i could see. But in like what way? A bit of flooding damage on hit? A set amount of damage on hit?

Edited by xalmgrey

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,702 posts
611 battles

The game used to have flooding for underwater overpens.

They removed that, saying it was too complicated.

So now you can blast huge underwater holes in a ship and nothing happens. 10/10 top notch game mechanics. 

HE is easier to use, practically guarantees damage and has a very attractive stacking DOT attached to it.

AP is too RNG dependent. It's an all-or-nothing round. It either gives you big numbers or it gives you nothing. 

• Cool 6

Supertester, Beta Testers, Modder
5,783 posts
7,309 battles

I don't know what is more incentive than literally being capable of deleting an enemy ship from existence.

• Cool 5

[WOLF4]
Members
1,582 posts
3,627 battles
3 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

So now you can blast huge underwater holes in a ship and nothing happens. 10/10 top notch game mechanics. 

HE is easier to use, practically guarantees damage and has a very attractive stacking DOT attached to it.

AP is too RNG dependent. It's an all-or-nothing round. It either gives you big numbers or it gives you nothing. 

Yeah, that's a pretty good argument for looking at AP and how it works. It always did seem a bit absurd that such a huge object doesn't cause flooding on the way through.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,582 posts
3,627 battles
1 minute ago, Compassghost said:

I don't know what is more incentive than literally being capable of deleting an enemy ship from existence.

I agree. Nothing sweeter than a one salvo delete. But that doesn't seem to be enough to compete with HE's consistency for the average players.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,196 battles

There's a time and  place for HE, and a different set of time and place for AP. There's nothing wrong with either ammo type with respect to game balance at the moment. People just need to learn when to use each type rather than dumb the game down so there's no difference between AP or HE.  

• Cool 4

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,702 posts
611 battles
2 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

There's a time and  place for HE, and a different set of time and place for AP. There's nothing wrong with either ammo type with respect to game balance at the moment. People just need to learn when to use each type rather than dumb the game down so there's no difference between AP or HE.  

That ship's already sailed. There's an entire line of battleships that not only never needs to use AP, but is actively encouraged to use HE.

[TATER]
[TATER]
Beta Testers
56 posts

Give all zero-damage AP pens (as a result of module penetration) their own ribbon. Entirely cosmetic change. Would reduce a lot of the frustration for me personally

• Cool 6

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,196 battles
6 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

That ship's already sailed. There's an entire line of battleships that not only never needs to use AP, but is actively encouraged to use HE.

You still get better results if you know when to use AP and when to use HE in UK BBs. The better HE on UK BB might translate to better damage numbers but the stats shows that it doesn't necessarily translate into more wins seeing how average UK BB WR doesn't differ from BBs of other nations by much.

[YAN]
Members
1,665 posts
8,051 battles

Easiest way would be to reintroduce the underwater penetrations that WG accidently made when French BBs came in. That made ships like conquerer able to be punished for broadside and citadels became more common. That'd fix the HE spam you see at higher tiers.

• Cool 3

[ARGSY]
Members
11,958 posts
7,605 battles

A lack of fire-damage missions might help. I am not talking of the current task for the Indianapolis mission, though that has its own issues, but of the Feuer Frei task going on this weekend - the third stage requirement is to accumulate 50K worth of fire damage over any number of battles.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, ramp4ge said:

Consistency. 

Consistency. Not quite. As an experiment I played close to 20 games in Hipper using nothing but AP...well I did use minimal amount of HE. Every battle I got an extremely consistent damage between 50 and 70k. Then I switched to more normal mix of AP and HE and my numbers went to fluctuate between 30k and 100k.

HE is much more RNG dependent. There's very little RNG when you hit an AP shell, just a bunch of penetration calculations, but with HE it's RNG all the way.

So it's not consistency, unless you're using a different definition, but ease of use. You don't need good aim, no good timing, etc. You just point and shoot. Very dumb and effective. A fire chance reduction across the board would solve the issue IMO.

Edited by geser98

[SFOR]
Members
974 posts
6,958 battles
1 hour ago, ramp4ge said:

I share the same opinion. Playing with the Monarch against tier X i just feel the AP is not worth it unless the target shows a perfect broadside . Shooting AP against angle cruisers to get bounces? Shooting AP against aBB at long ranges only to get bounces, overpen, pen but almost no damage?

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,847 posts
4,855 battles

Defective battleship armor.

We used to sling AP all day long without even thinking of HE because of that...

[CUTER]
Members
810 posts
21,406 battles

More folks need to play British cruisers...it is the class that teaches you how to use AP.  Especially with cruiser AP.  

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
15 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

More folks need to play British cruisers...it is the class that teaches you how to use AP.  Especially with cruiser AP.  

Rn cruiser AP has different fuse time, it's not relevant to most other cruisers.

[SIDE]
Beta Testers
111 posts
2 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

+1

AP is too RNG dependent. It's an all-or-nothing round. It either gives you big numbers or it gives you nothing

....... what they said!

[MKF]
Members
453 posts
17,100 battles
3 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

There's countless threads about HE and how the community feels on it, not gonna cover HE other than to say its a highly popular weapon on the high seas of late. Seems like more people are using it every day. I know there's the AP fusing to double damage DD's, this isn't that thread either. I'm just curious to know if people think AP needs to be made more attractive to shoot. Citadels are tasty, this we all can agree on. But outside of citadels AP doesn't seem to be as "noob" friendly as HE. Could AP be made better in some fashion?

I hope people keep spamming HE. If they don't know how to use AP properly they are that much easier to beat

• Boring 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,734 posts
11,134 battles

AP is fine, it's just people who don't know where to shoot against angled target or people who expect AP to do nuke damage against everything no matter the angle.

HE will never insta delete a target that isn't a DD (Even RN BB sometime struggle because they need to hit the citadel)

HE damage are "light damage"

Fire caused by HE is 100% repairable.

AP can insta delete target (heck BB AP can insta delete every ship in the game)

AP Citadel cause huge damage and only 10% of a citadel damage can be healed.

A Conqueror shooting AP is more frightening than a Conqueror shooting HE. 

• Cool 3