Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Any suggestions beating a Cleveland with a New Orleans?

11 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
398 posts
5,358 battles

The Cleveland's been chewing my butt in the New Orleans today.  Any suggestions other than avoid her?

Members
67 posts
3,002 battles

It’s probably people trying to complete one of the Indianapolis missions where you have to start 5 fires and do 15k Fire damage. The Cleveland is a good choice for this.

[MACH1]
Members
174 posts
13,652 battles

You out range the Cleveland so I try to stay outside of there range same with when I play a BB and there is an Atlanta spamming just don't enter into there range

• Cool 1

Members
2,166 posts
4,892 battles
3 hours ago, Solitary_Stalker said:

You out range the Cleveland so I try to stay outside of there range same with when I play a BB and there is an Atlanta spamming just don't enter into there range

But when an Atlanta does get in range of more lightly armored cruisers, they are going to suffer as long as the Atlanta player is a competent one.

Members
68 posts
5,275 battles

Use AP.  Close the gap and citadel him to death.  Cleveland's armor sucks, turn it into a piece of swiss cheese.  Go bow on and wiggle to be harder to hit as you close in. Don't worry about your rear turret until you are brawling with him.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,814 posts
18,210 battles

Easy.

Keep the distance long.  USN CL shells arc forever.  As a Cruiser, NOLA should be nimble and an annoying target the further out she is.  If you are in close ranges, the CL will easily hit you, and this is where the CL DPM can be of great danger to your CA.  However, NOLA has better guns that behave at range than Cleveland.  NOLA's shells are more direct and do not arc high in the sky with parachutes as they come down.  With more range, the CA will reliably hit the USN CL, while the CL will struggle to hit the CA.

AP the ever-living-sh*t out of them.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,480 posts
12,810 battles

Keep at ~12km, and wiggle.  I've been eating Clevelands alive with my Nola.  Cleveland does not impress me at all.

[CYD]
Members
119 posts
2,622 battles

Stay at range to minimize how many shells they can get on your deck. Tit for tat, you really don’t stand a chance against Cleveland unless they’ll present you with broadside to AP. 

Members
129 posts
1,053 battles

Stay outside of his range. I don't know how much they've upgraded the Cleveland since I last played, but the NO can pen the Cleveland's Citadels if you aim for the right spots. That's about all the advice I can give you, just stay out of his range

[WOLF3]
Members
19,814 posts
18,210 battles

NOLA has a slight range advantage over Cleveland.  But that's not the real strength she has over Cleveland in a gunfight.  NOLA has always had good shell flight behavior.  She had many problems even back in her Tier VIII form, but her guns were never a source of complaint.  You could justly rant about NOLA's sturdiness to big shells, but her own guns are very good.

As said before, keep the range at double digits and make Cleveland pay.  Cleveland's shells float, NOLA's doesn't.

The shorter the range you make the shoot out with an aware Cleveland, then Cleveland's floaty shells at range no longer become an issue for her, and now she can reliably hit you and play a DPM game with you that you'll start feeling uncomfortable about.  Maybe NOLA will still win out that short ranged fight by sheer power of her 203mm guns, but giving the kind of fight Cleveland would prefer to play, is taking needless damage.

Keep the fight at range and make Cleveland struggle to hit you, while your more direct firing 203mm guns can leisurely hit her.

Sign in to follow this