You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ThatOddMan

How do you stop any Allied Ships

25 comments in this topic

Members
30 posts
327 battles

from  colliding with your already fired torpedoes?

You have a clear line of fire, fired your torpedoes, then an allied ship suddenly jumped on the torpedoes pathway.

I am referring to bots. No way to stop them? Like click on them to give any commands?

• Bad 4

Members
3,662 posts
6,376 battles

Nope - nothing.  If friendly ships can jump in  front of the torps - it wasn't that clear.

• Cool 1

Members
1,087 posts

Nope. You fire it, you own it.

Friendly fire and team killing are big no-nos.

Learn to never fire when the possibility exists that you might hit an ally.

OK, lecture over. Welcome to the game!

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
30 posts
327 battles
3 minutes ago, TF77 said:

Nope. You fire it, you own it.

Friendly fire and team killing are big no-nos.

Learn to never fire when the possibility exists that you might hit an ally.

OK, lecture over. Welcome to the game!

So fire torpedoes only when at close quarters with the enemy? Like "Oh hello enemy ship. Here is a gift for you. (fires torpedoes while very close to her)"?

Edited by ThatOddMan

[WOLF7]
Members
10,340 posts
11 minutes ago, ThatOddMan said:

from  colliding with your already fired torpedoes?

You have a clear line of fire, fired your torpedoes, then an allied ship suddenly jumped on the torpedoes pathway.

I am referring to bots. No way to stop them? Like click on them to give any commands?

Stop firing from behind your team? :Smile_glasses:

• Bad 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,152 posts
8,378 battles

No, you check if any allied ship is headed towards your firing area or could do so and don't fire if there is a possibility.  At 85 battles, you probably don't have a good feel for the speed of ships that could possibly cross your line of fire.  The safest thing to do is just not fire your ordinance in a direction where any Allied ships will get hit.  I have died more than once due to withholding fire so that I did not hit an allied ship.  Every once in a while, I try to "save" an allied ship by firing into a brawl and both my ally and I have paid some price for it.

The DD you think passed by may be setting up a firing angle and could do a 180 for their torp run, for example.  It is best to not have allied ships have to worry about both the enemy and their allies shooting at them :cap_like:

Edited by ExploratorOne

Members
1,087 posts

Only when the situation is such that no ally can get between you and an enemy.

Long-range torpedo fire is quite common at the higher tiers, so it becomes a matter of what we call situational awareness.

If there is a friendly in sight down-range, don't shoot. It only takes a moment to free-look around (hold right mouse button down) before firing.

If you're doing long-range or wide-arc area denial shots, the mini-map is your friend.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,566 posts
13,172 battles

You don't control what players do. So, hold your fire until you're sure that even if a player turns around right then and there, he still can't get in front of your torpedoes.

• Bad 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,705 posts
3,725 battles

Whether it's a fellow human or a bot, you can't control what your team mate is going to do.

However, you do have a full control over your own ordinances. Nobody makes you to fire your ordinances, except yourself. Hence, you must own up to your own ordinances. It's your own ordinances, thus your full responsibility. As others already said, always make sure to check your surroundings and make sure that no ally is potentially in the harm's way.

Of course, this doesn't mean you can only use your ordinances only at close range. Sometimes, your in-your-face-shot torpedoes sail past your target... and end up hitting an ally. It's still your fault. Why? Because (1) it's still you who pulled the trigger, and (2) you didn't take into account of the possibility of your close range torpedoes sailing past your target, if they miss.

Therefore, the key is to learn, practice, and then know when & where to utilize your ordinances to mitigate any potential risk of friendly fire. You can certainly do a long range snipe with your torpedoes... but be sure to always check first, thoroughly, before you pull that trigger.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles
13 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

If an ally can "suddenly" jump in front of your torpedoes, you didn't have a clear line/lane of fire...

This, as you get more experience you will be able to judge better if a shot is safe or not, make sure that your torpedoes will clear any friendly ships no matter how they maneuver.

[SF-A]
Members
2,946 posts
5,873 battles

Because nobody actually read the OP's post. (nice knee-jerk reaction everyone!)

No, you can't stop bots in co-op from making unwise maneuvers. However, in scenarios there is no team damage and the torps will just get absorbed.

• Bad 2

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,839 battles

Also the red bot team swerves 90% of the time (IF there is enough time) as bots see the torps almost immediately if you had them targeted.

On the other side, the friendly bots usually turn flat side into the torpedo run.

Members
4,676 posts
6,811 battles

Your ships are watching  not only enemy ship guns,and torps, but when you are firing torps from behind then you make em also have to watch their OWN teams crap.  Just like shooting shells at em. Do not torp if there is a chance you might hit team mates. Try at least. However I have seem UTTER idiots on here (several) that claim it is on you to get out of the way of the mindless torps they shoot. Utter idiots.  Selfish little types. Torp spamming is a problem in this game. They will just fire off torps that have zero chance of hitting and it's on YOU to get out of these jerks way. There.  Ya wanna know how I really feel bout this? Heh.:Smile_glasses:

Members
1,500 posts
506 battles
42 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

No, you can't stop bots in co-op from making unwise maneuvers. However, in scenarios there is no team damage and the torps will just get absorbed.

aElym7p.jpg

its NOT rocket science to learn how to NOT shoot torps when anally is IN THE LANE,,,,,and its not knee jerk, jerk... YOU FIRE TORPS YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.,... PERIOD

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,895 posts
15,672 battles
47 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

as you get more experience you will be able to judge better if a shot is safe or not

At least this is what your team mates are hoping for. (Doesn't always work out that way though.)

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Know your Torp Range know where your team mates are if at any time you think that Idiot will turn into your Torps 

DON'T FIRE THEM!!!

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,705 posts
3,725 battles
1 hour ago, pewpewpew42 said:

I'm not even sure who's the real one having the knee jerk reaction here. At least for me, I specifically answered OP's question with my first sentence of my previous post.

It's pretty obvious when you think for a reason why OP even started this thread. He most likely got himself in situations where he launched his torpedoes... only to realize there was a bot ally near by, and that bot ally ran into them. Most likely because he launched his torpedoes behind his allies, trying to snipe from max torpedo range.

Well, it still doesn't matter what the bot does. It's still your ordinance, and no one but you pull the trigger, hence it's still 100% your responsibility. If OP has paid a little more attention to his surroundings, all of it could've been avoidable. Thus, that's rest of my previous post.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,705 posts
3,725 battles
4 minutes ago, Professor_Jumbo said:

To be fair to the op though, bots do some really inexplicable things on occasion.

And humans don't? :Smile_sceptic:

Either way, once you learn enough about how bots behave, it can become pretty easy to make an educated guess on what they are likely to do. You just gotta figure out how to work around that and launch your torpedoes accordingly. Frankly, that's same whether your ally is a human or a bot.

My issue here is that instead of trying to improve his own play, OP was rather thinking of how to make others bend around him. Sorry, but that's not how things fly. Like I said, your ordinance, and nobody pulls the trigger but you, hence 100% your responsibility.

Oh sure, accidents can happen. It can sometimes be not your fault. Nobody is perfect in this world, and that includes bots too.

But you know what? I repeat... your ordinance, and nobody pulls the trigger but you, hence 100% your responsibility.

Members
2,609 posts
2,694 battles

What people above me said. But in the event you want to throw that out the window, maybe pinging the map would help? 

[RED2]
Members
131 posts
6,901 battles

No There is no way to communicate to bots that they need to move. With players you can obviously tell them you are launching torps but i would wait for confirmation before doing anything fancy.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles
1 hour ago, Chimera2 said:

No There is no way to communicate to bots that they need to move. With players you can obviously tell them you are launching torps but i would wait for confirmation before doing anything fancy.

Even that is not necessarily safe. I was divisioned with a clan mate and on TeamSpeak. I told him I was launching a a certain ship, he acknowledged, I launched, and then he went after the ship I was topedoing, I was >< close to a team kill.