You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
prevans

AP bombs are OP and dumber than detonation - pls nerf

66 comments in this topic

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,254 battles

They take 0 skill to use and completely wreck battleships.  There's nothing the receiving BB can do to mitigate the damage (other than pray to the RNG gods).  CVs are completely broken, and not fun for the people playing them or against them.  Please just get rid of CVs and their ridiculous mechanics, made worse by the AP bomb, until they are fixed.  

• Cool 10
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 11
  • Angry 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,783 posts
10,788 battles

I get a feeling that when the CV revamp hits that they won't be the RNG nuclear weapon they are now but yeah, they hurt like the blazes if the CV gets a good drop, I took 13 in a single attack.

[KSD]
Members
479 posts
15,956 battles

What I see when I come across posts like this:

giphy.gif

My reaction:

giphy.gif

*sprinkle*sprinkle* needs more salt.

Also, the ridiculousness that is this:

They take 0 skill to use...

Sure.

Edited by yacskn
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 5

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,254 battles

I took 40K in a single drop... in a Scharnhorst (i.e. 75% of my health).

• Boring 3

[KSD]
Members
479 posts
15,956 battles
13 minutes ago, prevans said:

I took 40K in a single drop... in a Scharnhorst (i.e. 75% of my health).

You know what, you have a point.

I myself am tired of getting citadeled for 40k damage in my cruisers and BBs. So WG, nerf the AP shells or better yet, remove them from the game. It takes 0 skill to use. There's nothing the receiving ship can do to mitigate the damage (other than pray to the RNG gods).  APs are completely broken, and not fun for the people using them or against them.  Please just get rid of APs and their ridiculous mechanics, until they are fixed.

Let us all bask in the glory of infernous HE spam.

Edited by yacskn
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 9

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,095 posts
15,854 battles
42 minutes ago, yacskn said:

I myself am tired of getting citadeled for 40k damage in my cruisers and BBs

Like you really play BBs and CAs that much.

Members
3,254 posts
9,546 battles
1 hour ago, prevans said:

They take 0 skill to use and completely wreck battleships. 

Sort of like radar and DDs? Nope, AP bombs are here to stay. Adapt and overcome.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[DRACS]
Members
4,330 posts

AP bombs are a case of extremes. On one hand, you have the USN AP bombs that have a very small effective target range as their armor fuses are too high, but their total penetration is too low. So they overpen most cruisers and don't pen deeply enough on most battleships. And of course you need to properly line up your bombing runs.

Then you have the AP bombs on GZ. The fuses are really low, so they won't overpen anything but DDs. Their max penetration is really high so that even BBs with the best deck protection get citadelled. And their drop is a perfect circle, so ships can't turn perpendicular to significantly reduce the number of bombs that land.

It's not AP bombs that are OP. It's the Graf Zeppelin and only the Graf Zeppelin that is OP.

• Cool 3

[TOAST]
Members
958 posts
8,240 battles

There are a bunch of RNG mechanics that are kind of terrible. Just add this one to the pile.

[SYN]
Members
15,202 posts
11,802 battles

I really like losing 90% of my HP to midway AP bombers as a cruiser.

It was very Fun and Engaging, because I had to use my DFAA on its Torp bombers, after which no amount of WASD could save me from the highly skillful AP auto drop circle.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[RLGN]
Members
9,800 posts
19,308 battles
1 hour ago, prevans said:

They take 0 skill to use and completely wreck battleships.  There's nothing the receiving BB can do to mitigate the damage (other than pray to the RNG gods).  CVs are completely broken, and not fun for the people playing them or against them.  Please just get rid of CVs and their ridiculous mechanics, made worse by the AP bomb, until they are fixed.  

1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I get a feeling that when the CV revamp hits that they won't be the RNG nuclear weapon they are now but yeah, they hurt like the blazes if the CV gets a good drop, I took 13 in a single attack.

Meanwhile, in the same amount of time it took that carrier to nuke a target with ONE strike, that selfsame target could have been focused and burned/shelled to death and no one would complain about it...

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,215 posts
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Meanwhile, in the same amount of time it took that carrier to nuke a target with ONE strike, that selfsame target could have been focused and burned/shelled to death and no one would complain about it...

The difference being, the target can actually return fire and do some damage to the persons doing it to him, perhaps even kill them......unlike the carrier..:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
18,783 posts
10,788 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

That is true but I was only mentioned it because there is so much RNG in the drop being good or bad. CV's shouldn't have been in the game as they were not designed to be involved or even near enough to be seen from gun battle. Even the British which had a close support doctrine for their CV's kept them about 70 nautical miles behind the fleet. That said they are in the game and hopefully the revamp will make them more enjoyable without being even more frustrating to deal with than they are now.

Members
3,254 posts
9,546 battles
16 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I really like losing 90% of my HP to midway AP bombers as a cruiser.

It was very Fun and Engaging, because I had to use my DFAA on its Torp bombers, after which no amount of WASD could save me from the highly skillful AP auto drop circle.

I really like losing 90% of my health to a single BB salvo as a DD.

It's Fun and Engaging to be radared by an undetected ship behind an island, after which no amount of WASD could save me from being revealed by the highly skillful radar detection circle.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 6
  • Bad 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,300 posts
6,968 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That is true but I was only mentioned it because there is so much RNG in the drop being good or bad. CV's shouldn't have been in the game as they were not designed to be involved or even near enough to be seen from gun battle. Even the British which had a close support doctrine for their CV's kept them about 70 nautical miles behind the fleet. That said they are in the game and hopefully the revamp will make them more enjoyable without being even more frustrating to deal with than they are now.

Agreed, I have my fingers crossed there is a fix but I am pessimistic on the chances of balancing CV's in this game. I view CV's the same as I do those things that operate under the water, best left out of the game. (I didn't want to use the "S" word)

[RLGN]
Members
9,800 posts
19,308 battles
20 minutes ago, awiggin said:

The difference being, the target can actually return fire and do some damage to the persons doing it to him, perhaps even kill them......unlike the carrier..:Smile_teethhappy:

I’ve listed, repeatedly, the ways a carrier attack can be screwed over; my experience has been that targets make it easy for carriers because they refuse to take advantage of them, then cry when they get destroyed.

16 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Who knows... (in general response to what you’ve said...)

I expect they will wind up being worthless mikquetoast.

More specifically; to all those crying about carriers; ‘Be careful what you wish for; you may get it.’

For all intents and purposes, WG may wind up killing carriers...

Have fun dying to destroyers you can’t see or hurt.

In cockpit control for better aiming?

Have fun losing all your turrets, or constantly getting rudder and engine crits, or even detonations, because it’s could be easier to land a torpedo under a turret.

The day’s of ‘just random damage,’ may be looked back upon with regretful longing...

12 minutes ago, Lensar said:

I really like losing 90% of my health to a single BB salvo as a DD.

It's Fun and Engaging to be radared by an undetected ship behind an island, after which no amount of WASD could save me from being revealed by the highly skillful radar detection circle.

lol +1

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[CUTIE]
Members
358 posts
13,852 battles
56 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Sort of like radar and DDs? Nope, AP bombs are here to stay. Adapt and overcome.

I've seen some crapwith AP bombs tbf.  The Midway AP bombs can completely wipe put a Des Moines or Moskva in 1 strike

Members
3,254 posts
9,546 battles
Just now, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

I've seen some crapwith AP bombs tbf.  The Midway AP bombs can completely wipe put a Des Moines or Moskva in 1 strike

I'm sure. I'm not just trying to be snarky, my point is that this is the exact same type of design methodology that gave us radar.

[GWG]
[GWG]
18,783 posts
10,788 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I’ve listed, repeatedly, the ways a carrier attack can be screwed over; my experience has been that targets make it easy for carriers because they refuse to take advantage of them, then cry when they get destroyed.

Who knows... (in general response to what you’ve said...)

I expect they will wind up being worthless mikquetoast.

More specifically; to all those crying about carriers; ‘Be careful what you wish for; you may get it.’

For all intents and purposes, WG may wind up killing carriers...

Have fun dying to destroyers you can’t see or hurt.

In cockpit control for better aiming?

Have fun losing all your turrets, or constantly getting rudder and engine crits, or even detonations, because it’s could be easier to land a torpedo under a turret.

The day’s of ‘just random damage,’ may be looked back upon with regretful longing...

lol +1

How do you defend against a Graf Zeppelin with its circular drop pattern? The GZ has pretty much the same chance for a good drop no matter what direction they come from.

[INTEL]
Members
1,188 posts
10,612 battles

I'm not in the habit of posting whiney threads or agreeing with the snowflake attitude of a lot of posters but on this I'm partly with the critics. AP bombs in general aren't that much of an issue. It takes skill to make a manual drop with a USN CV and I think they deserve to benefit from that skill. AP bombs "may" be a bit much on the USN ships but skill is still involved.

The GZ OTOH is an abomination due to the combination of AP bombs and the circular drop pattern. An auto drop with that thing is capable of outright deleting a full HP BB and nearly always results in at least half his HP gone.

DD's that get AP penned, sorry but thats skill by the shooter and decent RNG. Same for multiple cits at 20+ KM. Even getting taken out by a wall of skill takes some good guesses by the DD and either a mistake by the target or at least just being unlucky in positioning when those torps arrive.

Graf Zeppelin AP bombs... nope. All the player has to do is be smart enough to get the bombers to the target and click. No I haven't played the GZ, and yes Im terrible playing them. Doesn't matter, I've seen enough vids where the GZ was used in exactly this way. Flambass posted one not long ago doing exactly this. As I stated, I suck with CV's, but I think even I could be a huge factor in a game with a GZ.. and I think that's just wrong.

Stay close to AA ships... have you seen how the majority of cruisers are playing these days? I'm seeing DMs and Minos 2 grid squares behind the BB's. I've been the victim of moving up with the cruisers to support a push only to have them turn and run when a single red BB appears. When I say run I mean all the way across the map.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,655 posts
8,050 battles

@prevans, you do realize that is exactly why AP bombs were implemented, don’t you? That’s what they’re supposed to do and what they intended for them to do. The devs even said they were one of the ways they were trying to combat the oversaturation of BBs.

Theyre here to stay, so deal with it lol. They’re doing exactly what the devs intended them to do, smash BBs and help to drop the BB population. Though it really isn’t helping to drop the BB pop. But it is smashing them like intended.

Edited by renegadestatuz

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I may be out of touch, but I thought the GZ AP bombs had the oblong drop pattern and the HE bombs had the circle drop pattern.