Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
A1401935

Yamato Vs Musashi Belt Armor: 410mm vs 400mm?

2 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
197 battles

Hey guys - have been doing some research and it seems there were some slight well-known differences in the ships - Musashi a little heavier at launch, slightly faster on trials, better flag accommodations. Yamato more heavily armed with secondaries/AA because she lasted longer AND that her belt armor has been reported as 410mm vs 400mm for Musashi in several places. I hope this doesn’t feel asked and answered, because I have not really seen an answer, despite my best pouring through forums, books (Lengerer, Skulski, etc.). Seems like a lot of conflict on this one. I know there is a lack of definitive info, but interestingly it seems more folks who have access to Japanese sources quote the difference as true, and say it can be attributed to weight saving efforts so she could be launched from the more difficult Nagasaki Shipyard; making up for the increase in weight for additional flag quarters; or just that they realized there was no real difference between the two in terms of protection and made a game-time decision. I try not to bug forums with questions, but this one is interesting to me and I welcome any help or thoughts. Thanks!

bill

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
7,949 battles

Its true im pretty sure. But that 10mm armor difference is for some reason not modelled ingame. Her larger displacement came from having more command spaces, as it deemed inefficient on Yamato, and is why she took over for Yamato as flagship.
The belt armor was reduced because it was deemed surplus to desires, its also done on Shinano to a degree I think.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this