You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Buck14_invader

Damage from fire

16 comments in this topic

[BROCN]
Members
7 posts
4,723 battles

Is it just me or is the damage from fires excessive? Yes it should cause slow health reduction but as of late with all the HE spammers and the duration required to heal again is too far apart. Once a ship is on fire it seems that even if you wait to heal/put fire out the reload time is too long to survive if lit up again. Just my 2 cents.....

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Fire damage looks good to me, if not too easily dealt with. The only time fire damage can be annoying is when you're under sustained attack, but then the problem is the sustained attack, not the fire.

• Cool 2

[SF-A]
Members
2,993 posts
6,238 battles

Tank builds alone aren't sufficient. You have to play smart as well. When you start getting focused, get into smoke, behind an island, or behind an ally. The death of BBs is consumable cooldowns, so have a plan to survive between them.

• Cool 2

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,189 battles

I like it when a BB insta fixes a fire, when I light another on them I know its burning for a time, same as when I get a flood on a BB, they fix it, I shoot them to light a fire, so it burns for a while.

Members
4,306 posts
7,014 battles

Be aware and try and delete the quick reload HE spammers like the Atlanta.   Outside of that do BB builds that mitigate fire with modules/flags/captain skills.  Also - get to a safe spot to put out the fire and heal up.  I do not do a specific anti-fire build on my BBs and do fairly well in the BBs.  ANd try not to yolo to the front to get focused.

[OLDSK]
Beta Testers
408 posts
5,315 battles

Depends on your ship since fire damage is a percentage of your health pool and not dependent on what size shell caused the fire.  Battleships take the most damage from fires but can mitigate it due to having the ability to heal all the fire damage(theoretically).  Destroyers and cruisers are much more vulnerable to fire but take less damage from it overall unless you YOLO and get focused down in which case fire is irrelevant because the shell damage will kill you long before the fires can.  So, chose skills and modules that mitigate fires, angle towards large caliber AP, and focus on the most dangerous fire producers and you should be fine.  Really, if fire is your source of massive HP loss, its your positioning and tactics, not the fire.

Members
567 posts
75 battles
11 minutes ago, Buck14_invader said:

Is it just me or is the damage from fires excessive? Yes it should cause slow health reduction but as of late with all the HE spammers and the duration required to heal again is too far apart. Once a ship is on fire it seems that even if you wait to heal/put fire out the reload time is too long to survive if lit up again. Just my 2 cents.....

45%/21%/3500

Win rate, survival rate, number of games played. Fire will always seem like a problem for you if you're too far past the peak of the bell curve on the aggression meter. Come back when your survival rate is around 40-50% and I bet you fire won't seem as much of a deal. The reason why it is a problem is because you're not forecasting properly, meaning you're not reading the minimap and analyzing it well enough consistently to know where to go and where not to go. 

It depends on how casual a player you are, but if you have more than 2000 games played and haven't progressed through the learning curve enough to realize that over-extending yourself results in getting torched faster than you can recover, then it's undeniably the Indian and not the arrow.  

• Cool 1

Members
1,866 posts
5,799 battles

There is no such thing as He spamming. A Captain uses the best ammo to damage the enemy ship.

Members
4,280 posts
1 minute ago, Raven114 said:

There is no such thing as He spamming. A Captain uses the best ammo to damage the enemy ship.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha *breath* ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

Sorry, but there are ships that do spam HE left and right.  And take British BBs, more HE slingers.  The game has become a HE/fire shooter.

23 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I like it when a BB insta fixes a fire, when I light another on them I know its burning for a time, same as when I get a flood on a BB, they fix it, I shoot them to light a fire, so it burns for a while.

A flood is different, I don't think you can recover that HP lost like you can a fire.  And there are times when a BB has to put out a fire right away, depending on HP.  They might not have the HP to allow it to burn down.

Still, the best ships to watch burn down are cruisers.  I love watching them the most (been doing that in the Atlanta).

The OP is right though, fire is honestly the least skilled way to do damage. 

• Bad 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,686 posts
10,769 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

I just use anti fire builds on bbs at high tiers and it seems manageable. 

Barely manageable if you are under attack from a napalm spamming ship but it does help.

2 hours ago, cometguy said:

Fire damage looks good to me, if not too easily dealt with. The only time fire damage can be annoying is when you're under sustained attack, but then the problem is the sustained attack, not the fire.

True but those fires are salt in the wound, salt you have now way of fighting if your damage control crews are on their mandated break. I know it is the realism card but is it too unrealistic to not be able to fight a fire that is burning?

To those that are going to say don't use DC on a single fire it doesn't matter if you do it on one or four, the next fires will burn for their full time.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,809 posts
2,745 battles

Don't DC a single fire unless you're sure you won't be set on fire again for the next 45 seconds/torpedoed.  Let a single fire burn, if your repair party will be used to its fullest go ahead and use it while the fire is burning.

Use a tank build.

Don't over extend.

[LHG]
Members
1,454 posts
5,816 battles

People always say to never DC a single fire, which is almost always correct. However, sometimes you have to let two fires burn as well. And other times you're doomed no matter what you do.

[HINON]
Members
10,528 posts
2 hours ago, Wowzery said:

A flood is different, I don't think you can recover that HP lost like you can a fire. 

Flooding is 100 percent repairable just like fires. Also oddly enough so is ramming damage if you survive.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,686 posts
10,769 battles
45 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Flooding is 100 percent repairable just like fires. Also oddly enough so is ramming damage if you survive.

Yeah but you rarely are able to let the flood continue for any length of time.