You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

When should you surrender your lower Tier ships?

38 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
385 posts
4,881 battles

Have worked up to Tier VIII in the USN, IJN, and Pan Asian dds and Tier VI in USN cruisers.  When do I know that it's time to sell my Tier III/V ships?  I don't want to be one of those people who play the lower tiers just to make themselves feel better and beat up on newer players.  On a lark this morning, I played my Clemson (attached).  Honestly, I was a big bully.  It wasn't much fun for me and aside from my team winning, it probably wasn't that much fun for them either.  Here's what I'm thinking of selling:

IJN: Isokaze, Minekazi

USN: Clemson, Nicholas, Phoenix (I'm keeping the St Lo for sentimental reasons)

Pan Asian: Phra Ruang, Shenyang

Is there a reason to keep any of these ships?  It's not that I don't have slots for them.  Many of them do have valuable 10 pt captains that could be doing something more productive than taking up dock space.

Clemson.JPG

• Boring 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,967 posts
6,868 battles

Only one reason.  Keep them if you enjoy playing them.

You can move the Captains up but, if you have the slots and credits aren't an issue, why sell them?

• Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
385 posts
4,881 battles
1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

why sell them

To avoid the temptation to being one of "those" players who like to beat up on those with less time playing the game.

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,184 battles

Sometimes you just have to go club some seals and keep them in check, also there are quite a few seal clubbers I see in lower tiers, so I may as well equal the odds against them.

In all serious tho, if you enjoy playing a particular ship, no reason why you can't keep playing it, for instance I like my Nikolai, yeh it needs some buffs I know, but I enjoy playing it.  (lately that is)

[HINON]
Members
10,520 posts

The complete newbies are in a protected mm so you won't see them. I keep any ship I have fun in no matter the tier.

• Cool 2

[YORHA]
Members
3,967 posts
6,868 battles
3 minutes ago, AMajor said:

To avoid the temptation to being one of "those" players who like to beat up on those with less time playing the game.

That's how the Seals learn to become Sea Lions.  

If you feel bad then tell them what they did wrong as they are sinking.  I well remember my first few low tier PVP games.  I was thrilled the first time I even survived to the end of the match.

• Cool 1

[OLDSK]
Beta Testers
408 posts
5,314 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

Don't do anything you're not comfortable with.  Keep those ships that you have fun playing or simply like that they are pretty or something.  Don't worry about being one of those "players" unless you go into games just to troll other players, then that's all on you, and shame on you for being a troll.  If however you're not a troll, nothing to worry about, leading by example is good leadership and showing new players how it's done might just save a few of them some frustration.  In my first 200 matches I ran into a filthy seal clubber who wiped the map clean of enemies, I asked him, "My god how the hell?"  and he gave me some awesome tips on leading targets, so you never know.  If you're really worried about it, there is still Co-Op gameplay where you'll feel no guilt in low tiers.  I keep a few ships in every tier just to have some variety or have ships available when introducing new players to the game(Unless you want to be one of "those players" who division in a tier 5 ship with their friend in a tier 3 with only 20 battles...).

Edited by 56Bravo

Members
4,279 posts

Play ships you enjoy playing.

Personally, I hate high tier play.  Its terrible to me, I don't see how people enjoy it.  Snooze fest galore to me.

As to the whole seal-clubbing thing, last coupe of matches I played in lower tier I looked around.  Over half of players on both sides had 1000+ matches, only a couple were actually 'noobs'.  So is it really clubbing, or is it overblown to make someone feel 'shame' for playing a low tier ship by high tier elitists?

If everyone down there is seal-clubbing, where are the seals?

Beta Testers
599 posts
5,423 battles

I agree with what everyone else has been saying. I don't mainly keep ships below tier 6 unless they are premiums. I don't really enjoy playing tiers 4 and below, so I will occasionally play tier 5  cause I have quite a few premiums with some high point captains from high tiers, but overall just keep the ships that you really enjoy playing.

Panic

[INTEL]
Members
1,175 posts
10,535 battles

I will never sell Clemson. Its my "OMG I cant stand it anymore" ship

During a recent Clemson match I encountered a red in the T4 RU DD who slapped me around like a noob. I figured he was like me, just screwing around at low tier for a break. Nope, over 6k matches, 4k at T4, and 900 in that DD alone. And here I feel bad for my 150ish Clemson matches.

[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles

Just play what you enjoy. I’m already thinking about taking the Pensa out again because I’m one of those who really does like the ship.

High tier play can get expensive and if you’re planning on being a freebie, nothing wrong with that by the way, then you should have a couple of tier 6 and 7 ships in reserve so you can just play for fun. 

Beta Testers
127 posts
870 battles

By your reasoning, folks in TX ships with 5-figure number of battles should avoid playing folks who have just gotten their first TX ship.

There's no "balance."  Fight the ships you enjoy fighting and try to win. 

• Cool 1

[YETI]
Members
120 posts
5,911 battles

I agree with everyone else, keep what you enjoy playing if you can afford the credits.   It's a good way to train up new captains and when you get on a losing run feel like your burning out with a grind, it's nice to go back to the lower tiers just to have fun and break the routine.

[-TXT-]
Beta Testers
1,534 posts
17,117 battles

I've only sold a ship when I need another port slot.  And then I sell the ship I least enjoy playing.  I would never sell the Minekaze or Clemson....just too much fun playing them occasionally. 

[DBM]
Members
385 posts
4,881 battles
37 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

I will never sell Clemson. Its my "OMG I cant stand it anymore" ship

I know what you mean.  Lately, playing my Benson with all of the hydro and radar out there these days, I kind of needed the Clemson game this AM to remind me that I have gotten much better over time.

OK, guys you make a fair point.  Keep the ones I like.  How about those that I'm "meh" about?  I've learned that sometimes, you can go lower tier and pick up some skills in a line that you missed on the way up so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.   Here's the ones I'm lukewarm about: IJN: Minekazi, USN: Nicholas, Phoenix , Pan Asian: Phra Ruang, Shenyang.

Any redeeming qualities for any of these ships?

[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles
5 minutes ago, AMajor said:

I know what you mean.  Lately, playing my Benson with all of the hydro and radar out there these days, I kind of needed the Clemson game this AM to remind me that I have gotten much better over time.

OK, guys you make a fair point.  Keep the ones I like.  How about those that I'm "meh" about?  I've learned that sometimes, you can go lower tier and pick up some skills in a line that you missed on the way up so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.   Here's the ones I'm lukewarm about: IJN: Minekazi, USN: Nicholas, Phoenix , Pan Asian: Phra Ruang, Shenyang.

Any redeeming qualities for any of these ships?

I like the Phoenix but the St Louis or the Omaha are better and I’m not a DD captain but I know the Minikazi is a good destroyer but those tend to get prioritized as if they’re BBs.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,535 battles
2 hours ago, AMajor said:

Have worked up to Tier VIII in the USN, IJN, and Pan Asian dds and Tier VI in USN cruisers.  When do I know that it's time to sell my Tier III/V ships?  I don't want to be one of those people who play the lower tiers just to make themselves feel better and beat up on newer players.  On a lark this morning, I played my Clemson (attached).  Honestly, I was a big bully.  It wasn't much fun for me and aside from my team winning, it probably wasn't that much fun for them either.  Here's what I'm thinking of selling:

IJN: Isokaze, Minekazi

USN: Clemson, Nicholas, Phoenix (I'm keeping the St Lo for sentimental reasons)

Pan Asian: Phra Ruang, Shenyang

Is there a reason to keep any of these ships?  It's not that I don't have slots for them.  Many of them do have valuable 10 pt captains that could be doing something more productive than taking up dock space.

Clemson.JPG

I have all the tier 10's except the CV's so I'm literally at the end game. That being said the only ships on your list I kept was the Phoenix. Phoenix is the first ship I played that I hit 500 battles in. 

DD speed +longest range gunnery at it's tier make it the best tier 4 CL IMHO. It's ability to push and Kite from danger is unmatched at that tier just something to think about. The rest on the list are no trainers to get rid of and free up Port slots.

Members
1,866 posts
2 hours ago, AMajor said:

All the missions are for Tier V and up, so I rarely have time to go lower. My clanmates have no interest in seal-clubbing, but if you run T3 or T4, you're likely to run into clan divisions. For sure get rid of Phoenix, it sucks.

Members
831 posts
10,704 battles

Look man.  Personally?  I would love nothing more than for WG getting rid of that stupid asss “Pay for Garage Space” idea.  Completely destroyed my idea of keeping ships of lower tiers.  Now I only can rely on premium ships of lower tiers to not waist my time.  

[BNKR]
Members
1,152 posts
1,064 battles

Keep the stuff you enjoy playing. It's not a race to tier X. If you get in too big of a hurry you may miss some real gems. I played tanks for over four years and the most fun I had was revisiting some mid tier rigs I had basically skipped through.

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

One thing to remember as well, I have had team members at low tiers comment in chat about how I play when I am sailing Clemson and some of my low tier ships. (good comments) Some who are interested in the game and learning it will watch others play to better their game play.

It is not always a bad thing to drop down and take the new players to school. There are some that try to learn from it. I will still watch most battles to the end so I can try to improve my game play.

Also NO I will never let my Clemson go.............

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,840 posts
4,849 battles

With all the good stuff locked to T5+ there's little point to stay below 5. If you enjoy anything there, good, keep them for the enjoyment. If not the just leave them behind.

Me? Ark Beta and Iwaki is there so I always have the option to go...

1 minute ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

One thing to remember as well, I have had team members at low tiers comment in chat about how I play when I am sailing Clemson and some of my low tier ships. (good comments) Some who are interested in the game and learning it will watch others play to better their game play.

It is not always a bad thing to drop down and take the new players to school. There are some that try to learn from it. I will still watch most battles to the end so I can try to improve my game play.

Also NO I will never let my Clemson go.............

Trial by fire rarely works these days...people tend to get stomped so hard they just regurgiate all the lessons learned...

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles
Just now, pyantoryng said:

With all the good stuff locked to T5+ there's little point to stay below 5. If you enjoy anything there, good, keep them for the enjoyment. If not the just leave them behind.

Me? Ark Beta and Iwaki is there so I always have the option to go...

Trial by fire rarely works these days...people tend to get stomped so hard they just regurgiate all the lessons learned...

Sadly from some of the game play I have seen in higher tiers I would say you are right. There are a lot of players out there now that just sail around and shoot and could care less if they win or not.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,026 posts
4,542 battles

I wouldn't consider a tier V ship "low tier." It's mid-tier, i.e. tiers 4-7, and as advised to me by veteran WoWs players when I started playing, I would recommend keeping some of your mid-tier ships around as they are your money makers that help pay for you to run your higher tier, i.e. 8-10, ships, especially when you are playing on a standard free account and not getting the 50% bonus in credits when running a premium account.

As others have stated, a lot of the missions are for tier V ships and up too, and the really new players are in that protected MM up through tier 4. While I don't play below tier 5 often, when I do, I like to take my tier 3 and 4 premiums, like my Vampire, Varyag, and Ishizuchi, out for a spin because its quick fun and a nice break from playing my tier 8 ships in those tier 9 and 10 chess matches.