You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
X01_ISAAC_7

0.7.6 PTR Tier 8 Scenarios - Operation Cherry Blossom (video)

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
289 posts

Hey everyone, Isaac here! Back with another video on the current iteration of the World of Warships PTR (Or PTS, whatever. lol) and in this one I've got 2 consecutive games showing off the new night battle for Operation Cherry Blossom (and also some feedback for the devs if any of them are watching).

CAUTION: I am a salty one, and sometimes in this video my language does slip a little. So if minorly adult words offend you, then you may want to tune out now. Don't worry we will wait.......okay, now that it's just me and the one sole remaining person left watching the vid, we can get right into it!

BLINDED BY THE NIGHT! COOKED UP LIKE A GOOSE, THE CRUISERS BURNING IN THE NIGHT!!!

Okay I'm really done with the bad Manfred Mann references now....no seriously.....:Smile_hiding:

Sooooo......night battles. Interesting concept. Still not sure if they've just altered the desktop gamma settings during the match or whether the WG devs managed to find some other way to do it, but so far they look alright. Could be done a little darker imho and really give that feeling of being in the near pitch black of night. On the other hand though, in the second match you do see me looking up at the skybox they've coded for the night part of the operation and it *does* show a full moon, so I'll digress.

As I do mention, it does seem like they have ratcheted up the difficulty in the scenario since Jingles made his video (link to his in the video description of mine if you haven't seen it yet). There seem to be a few more ships, and also it seems like they tweaked the AI to almost always ignore players until they're within like 3.5 km to 5 km and only then do they start shooting at you. The Marine regiments on the island get chewed to pieces really fast if you don't all go FULL AHEAD and go straight for E9 to intercept incoming ships. However I did stray into the area of one of the star shells and got lit up, but it didn't seem like the enemy AI were overly concerned with me.....at all. They seem to flat out ignore any player ships in the effects of the illumination rounds and just focus on killing the troops on the beach.

Pros:
Night battles: This is something the player base has been wanting for a while, especially in Random battles. Testing it out in an operation is definitely the way to go first.
Tier 8 operations: The first of their kind, and opens up the opportunity for some serious credit making potential above what even the tier 7 operations offer.
USN Cruiser Split PART 2: Looking forward to getting my hands on the *FOUR* new ships of the line and testing them out in some matches. Videos to come on those as soon as I'm able!
IJN Gun(loli)boats for Tier 9 and 10: Finally, after having the tier 8 Akizuki capping out the IJN DD split for quite some time, that branch will be seeing its completion SOON (TM).

Cons:
Enemy Bot AI: Holy mother of god. If you do not do exactly what you are supposed to do at exactly the right time in exactly the right way while dressed in drag, doing the Hula, during a rainstorm in Africa, all while sacrificing a small goat on an altar made up of the bones of 1000 virgins......Good luck. And it's not just a problem with this new scenario. Since introducing the missions for all the other scenarios, hundreds of players have noticed the same thing in those as well. Focus fire by bots is stupidly prevalent, their guns almost never seem to miss, AI high explosive seems to have well above an 80% fire chance, their torpedobeat volume is cranked up WAY past 11, and AI torpedo launches, despite WASD hacks, are like radar-guided AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles unless you've got hydro up and running. Seriously, it's ridiculous.
Player starting distance to the intercept point (approx E9): +20 km distance you have to travel. If everyone goes in a straight line at full speed without maneuvering too much (if at all), it's BARELY doable. But by then, the 2 Marine divisions on the beachhead are STILL gonna be down to about 3/4 to 2/3 health remaining. If your teams' focus fire isn't on point, and people aren't stacking their radars properly, well tough luck. You'll fail before the sun even comes up. If even 1 of your team fiddles around or changes course too much, well tough luck. You'll fail before the sun even comes up.
Tier 8 Cruisers ONLY: This is the part that really sucks. There aren't many tier 8 cruisers available that are in the game under the Allied Powers. USN, RN, VMF, and France. That's it. 4 countries and 6 cruisers in total (Baltimore, Cleveland, Chapayev, Kutuzov, Charles Martel, and Edinburgh). The only one of which that is premium being the Kutuzov, and that ship is no longer on sale and is (possibly) only available from Santa Crates during Christmas time. Gotta stick to tier 7 ops for that if you wanna grind credits and free EXP in PvE to have a larger selection of premium ships that are readily available (at least for now).

Overall:

I'm looking forward to 0.7.6, if not necessarily for the scenario, but for the 4 new USN cruisers being released. Time will tell on the Operation, and I really hope they tune it down a little because as it stands, the margin of error on it (as of the recording of this video) is quite literally non-existent. Most scenarios give you a little bit of wiggle room. This one really doesn't. Definitely looking forward to the finishing of the IJN gunboats too. And realized that at the time of this posting, I've only got like 10k exp left to get to unlock the Akizuki. Buuuuuut since they nerfed the Shiratsuyu to the bottom of the ocean, I'm just gonna burn free EXP to unlock the Akizuki with the stored XP i have on the Shira. I ain't playing that tier 7 anymore.

If you get a chance, hop onto the test server and try to complete some of the missions for those Live-server awards. Especially the dragon flags!

As always, take care and stay safe captains!

Edited by X01_ISAAC_7
Added in Admiral Kutuzov as another potential cruiser, bringing total up to 6 eligible for the Op.
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[CVA16]
Members
3,084 posts
10,857 battles

Sounds interesting but I not really wanting to play an op where you AND YOUR TEAM have to be perfect to win. I too have noticed the bot AI has been cranked up to ridiculous in many scenarios. Currently  running scenario now seems the exception where victory is possible with a less than perfect team.

Also looking forward to finishing the Akizuki line though I'm a bit concerned how they will fare in the new radar heavy meta.

• Cool 1

[B-W-M]
Beta Testers
1 post
2,026 battles

I'm looking forward to the operation regardless. As per premium ships and credit making, you're forgetting about one very OP cruiser. The Mikhail Kutuzov. Premium Tier VIII Soviet light cruiser, longest range of any tier 8 cruiser, 19.1km i think, second to best if not the best AA of all tier 8 cruisers and DFAA can be swapped for Hydro, she's fast, maneuverable and has a smoke generator. WG removed her permanently from the shop because she's that OP. XD

I'm not sure how well she'll fair in this operation, but hopefully good.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
289 posts
On 6/12/2018 at 9:27 AM, Admiral_Frazier said:

I'm looking forward to the operation regardless. As per premium ships and credit making, you're forgetting about one very OP cruiser. The Mikhail Kutuzov. Premium Tier VIII Soviet light cruiser, longest range of any tier 8 cruiser, 19.1km i think, second to best if not the best AA of all tier 8 cruisers and DFAA can be swapped for Hydro, she's fast, maneuverable and has a smoke generator. WG removed her permanently from the shop because she's that OP. XD

I'm not sure how well she'll fair in this operation, but hopefully good.

You're right. I had completely forgotten about Kutuzov. As a Russian cruiser I believe she would be eligible. Sadly I missed out on buying her by about 3 hours (was stuck at work).

Given her rapid firing 152mm guns, hydro, and good AA, she would be well suited to the scenario provided her speed is at least 33kn. I've a feeling she plays like a Chapayev so there is that.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Sounds like there are some areas of concern with this operation. Will speak to our team about the issues you've outlined Isaac, many thanks for sharing your experience again. Excited to see what more there is to come

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
289 posts
23 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Please inform us on Helena and Boise ASAP.

Will do as soon as I can. But as I said, I'm no WG CC, lol. My review on the Boise will probably come after I've purchased her. The Helena and other USN CLs coming in 7.6 I will start testing as soon as they become available on the PTR.

[ARMDA]
Members
449 posts
2,726 battles

We got 3 stars, where the only ships left alive was me, a Cleveland, who bombarded the two aerodromes at the end, and a radar Edinburgh who led the team. Also, I feel that staying alive is a bit more cruicial in this mission, like with the Halloween scenarios, but I guess that's just because I don't play many operations. Also, this should be obvious, but don't get separated from the carriers, or you will die quickly through torpedobeats. They will heal you up if you get torpedoed in the first half of the operation.

Also, I suggest try to get more ship variety in your team? A team of Cleve's does not seem to work out as well.

Edit: I just got 4 stars. Pretty easy if you and your team know what to do (that said, lead your team!).

Edited by destawaits

[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,764 posts
4,836 battles

I've played it a few times now. I only have Baltimore and Cleveland to use, but haven't gotten below four stars yet and only died once. Gotta say that I am loving this one so far. The night battle mechanics are neat, and facing down the last fleet plus their TB support while backed up by two CVs is EPIC! Oh man SOOOO MUCH AA FIRE! That said, a variety of ships is the best way to go on this one, which is exactly how the ops should be to me. Clevelands are the support ships with their super AA and detection consumables, Baltimores and Charles Martels provide the main punch, the rest put out the dakka. Stick together for maximum protection and watch the planes melt.

Explosion/10, would spam HE at enemy DDs again.