You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

If I like Atlanta, will I like the upcoming USN light cruisers?

37 comments in this topic

Members
2,165 posts
4,890 battles

I enjoyed the old Cleveland, and since buying the Atlanta a week ago, it has become an unexpected favorite of mine. Damaging everything and setting fires from cover is really satisfying, and IFHE is nice. If I enjoy the Atlanta and do relatively well in it (and I did in the old Cleveland), how will the new CL line treat me? Do I just play it as an Atlanta with 152mm guns? Same playstyle?

1. What do you think will be the high points and low points of the new CL line?

2. Will they rapidly become popular?

3. How will they perform compared to the CAs? Will they achieve higher numbers on average, lower, or about the same?

4. Will they change the meta?

5. Will Boise's release coincide with the main line's release?

6. Gameplay wise, what situations / what kinds of battles will be the nightmare of these ships?

I think I will stop at Helena and play her a lot before considering playing Cleveland to Worcester. Looking at Helena's characteristics she seems very similar overall to the Atlanta. She obviously has slightly less concealment due to being an actual light cruiser, but overall I think these two should play and feel similar. Get into cover, and spam shells. Fight in open water only if necessary.

• Cool 1

[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles

Yes you will pretty much play the USN light cruisers as if they’re Atlanta’s without torpedoes. 

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,158 battles
3 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I enjoyed the old Cleveland, and since buying the Atlanta a week ago, it has become an unexpected favorite of mine. Damaging everything and setting fires from cover is really satisfying, and IFHE is nice. If I enjoy the Atlanta and do relatively well in it (and I did in the old Cleveland), how will the new CL line treat me? Do I just play it as an Atlanta with 152mm guns? Same playstyle?

3. How will they perform compared to the CAs? Will they achieve higher numbers on average, lower, or about the same?

6. Gameplay wise, what situations / what kinds of battles will be the nightmare of these ships?

I think I will stop at Helena and play her a lot before considering playing Cleveland to Worcester. Looking at Helena's characteristics she seems very similar overall to the Atlanta. She obviously has slightly less concealment due to being an actual light cruiser, but overall I think these two should play and feel similar. Get into cover, and spam shells. Fight in open water only if necessary.

They will be the in thing for a while. Once the newness wears off and people come complain about them on forum,
they will wither like the original line did.

• Boring 1

[SBS]
Members
3,706 posts
2,408 battles

The Atlanta is challenging to play and I'll guess the US CLs will be as challenging or more.  The high tier maps are large, many with less cover to take advantage of.  Fighting more in the open with these ships at high tier will be tough.  Division'ing with smoke should help.

I think the Helena Boise/Nueve de Julio will be a good ship if you like the Atlanta, since they will play pretty much the same as one another.  I know I'll be grabbing her when she comes out.   

Edited by Slimeball91

[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles
8 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

The Atlanta is challenging to play and I'll guess the US CLs will be as challenging or more.  The high tier maps are large, many with less cover to take advantage of.  Fighting more in the open with these ships at high tier will be tough.  Division'ing with smoke should help.

I think the Helena will be a good ship if you like the Atlanta, since they will play pretty much the same as one another.  I know I'll be grabbing her when she comes out.   

Yeah I think the Helena is going to be the popular one out of the whole line. I heard she’s going to have lots of guns or something like that.

[TDRB]
Members
2,284 posts
6,953 battles
24 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

They will be the in thing for a while. Once the newness wears off and people come complain about them on forum,
they will wither like the original line did.

The ones with radar are already the bane of the game. The complaints have already begun. 

[SBS]
Members
3,706 posts
2,408 battles
9 hours ago, LiaoXanLan said:

Yeah I think the Helena is going to be the popular one out of the whole line. I heard she’s going to have lots of guns or something like that.

Agreed, the Helena Boise/Nueve de Julio is going to be very popular.  Unfortunately I think this will be bad for the game to have another T7 radar cruiser, especially one this powerful.  Flambass did a video on her recently where he was top tier and he was murdering T5 DDs.  At one point there were a couple of DDs radar'ed in smoke and they couldn't figure out why they were being detected.  One of them even smoked while already in smoke being so desperate to hide.  It was both funny, and very sad to watch the seals getting beaten that badly.  

That said, I'm buying one and I'm going to abuse it.:cap_haloween: 

Edited by Slimeball91

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,128 battles
4 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Not a big fan of US Cruisers but liked the Cleveland and the new Cleveland with 6.5 reloads is nice

an interesting thing is if you do everything possible to improve rudder shift you can then be in the open at range and minimize your damage, if you do well in Atlanta you should do well with any ship with similar Characteristics 

[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

Agreed, the Helena is going to be very popular.  Unfortunately I think this will be bad for the game to have another T7 radar cruiser, especially one this powerful.  Flambass did a video on her recently where he was top tier and he was murdering T5 DDs.  At one point there were a couple of DDs radar'ed in smoke and they couldn't figure out why they were being detected.  One of them even smoked while already in smoke being so desperate to hide.  It was both funny, and very sad to watch the seals getting beaten that badly.  

Agreed. I’m not against radar but beating T5 DDs who just made it there within 5hrs puts seal clubbing on a whole new level. Going to do the same. We’re terrible people. :cap_look:

Edited by LiaoXanLan

[SBS]
Members
3,706 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, LiaoXanLan said:

Agreed. I’m not against radar but beating T5 DDs who just made it there within 5hrs puts seal clubbing on a whole new level. Going to do the same. We’re terrible people. :cap_look:

The way I see it is I'll more than offset my guilt from the savage beating of T5 DDs with all the burning of BBs, because they deserve it, right?? :Smile-_tongue:

[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles
6 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

The way I see it is I'll more than offset my guilt from the savage beating of T5 DDs with all the burning of BBs, because they deserve it, right?? :Smile-_tongue:

Yes they do. Nothing like burning BBs to death. All of them must burn. :cap_yes:

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,754 posts
20,795 battles

Think you will love The Sauce.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,652 posts
8,321 battles
8 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Agreed, the Helena is going to be very popular.  Unfortunately I think this will be bad for the game to have another T7 radar cruiser, especially one this powerful.  Flambass did a video on her recently where he was top tier and he was murdering T5 DDs.  At one point there were a couple of DDs radar'ed in smoke and they couldn't figure out why they were being detected.  One of them even smoked while already in smoke being so desperate to hide.  It was both funny, and very sad to watch the seals getting beaten that badly.  

Helena doesnt get radar, thats the Boise youre thinking of, and Boise isnt going to be a USN ship when it comes to the game, i believe its said its supposed to be coming as a Argentinean  ship

[WORX]
Members
3,061 posts
14,536 battles
12 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

. If I enjoy the Atlanta and do relatively well in it (and I did in the old Cleveland),

If your like me I like the ATL as well,  I suggest to wait for the tier X Worcester. Now that ship is the ATL clone lol.

[SBS]
Members
3,706 posts
2,408 battles
51 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

Helena doesnt get radar, thats the Boise youre thinking of, and Boise isnt going to be a USN ship when it comes to the game, i believe its said its supposed to be coming as a Argentinean  ship

:Smile_facepalm: You are right, my mistake.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
8 hours ago, LiaoXanLan said:

Yes they do. Nothing like burning BBs to death. All of them must burn. :cap_yes:

Oh YEAH! BTW, my favorite and most sought after achievement is Arsonist. Because I always get that achievement by burning down BBs. :Smile_izmena:

[SQUAD]
Members
7,931 posts
8,327 battles
11 hours ago, LiaoXanLan said:

Yes you will pretty much play the USN light cruisers as if they’re Atlanta’s without torpedoes. 

One would be better off playing ATL like it doesn't have torps lol. Situational torps is what she has, if you're trying to use them, you'll be going back to port unless you're very lucky, or your targets are, blind, stupid, and AFK.

Members
2,165 posts
4,890 battles
13 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

One would be better off playing ATL like it doesn't have torps lol. Situational torps is what she has, if you're trying to use them, you'll be going back to port unless you're very lucky, or your targets are, blind, stupid, and AFK.

And I have learned it the hard way, when it comes to Atlanta's torps.....

• Funny 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,141 posts
12,710 battles
5 hours ago, TugboatCommander said:

I will be happy to use my dedicated Atlanta captain in other ships for a change.

I haven't started playing T8 Cleveland yet but yeah I was going to look into the utility of taking my dedicated 19 pt Atlanta commander up the line.  Just havent looked into the US CL T10 yet to see what I would really want for it.

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,783 posts
6,850 battles

The Cleveland has the same type of floaty shells as the Atlanta. They're a little faster but beyond the 12km range you have to readjust your natural firing lead or you will get some lazy arcs.

Members
1,410 posts
8,136 battles

i would say if you like the altanta, you will like the CL line.

speaking of the atlanta, i got it today from one of those american crates.  I was suprised how much fun i was having with it.  almost 130k in the first game, and i did 144k in the next.  only if i had a 18 point captain so i could have AFT....

2FE7A79A72D1C9D043506077033FBCD509856E9D

sadly the 2nd game finished, then the server kicked me out before i could screenshot the match.  350+ shell hits, 4 kills, lots of fires, and 2 torp hits.  haven't had this much fun in a while.   Combine that with getting rid of the Izu for the yammy, and finally getting to experience the lulpen machine, it has been a good day. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,141 posts
12,710 battles
6 hours ago, TugboatCommander said:

Edited by BarbedWireRat
Duplicate

[ARP3]
Members
574 posts
11,796 battles

T10 ships have a lot of HP and you won't be killing 4-5 ships a game like in Atlanta.

Edited by Cit_the_bed