You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Confederate or High caliber?

11 comments in this topic

Members
321 posts
6,517 battles

Which do you think is a better indicator of how much you helped your team? I find getting HC a lot easier than Confederate as I only have 7 or 8 of them. For me I would choose confederate as more ships are involved!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,718 posts
9,954 battles

Neither is a very good measure of anything strategic... just an indicator of how you farmed :Smile_teethhappy:

[VFW]
Members
1,143 posts
22,870 battles

IMO, the real indicator of your skill as a teammate is circled around "Avg XP" mixed with Avg Damage and contribution to Capture/Defense.  There are others that play a part, but not just one.  Folks really focus on Win Rate and it is important, but it is more of a "can I help influence" toward a Win.   For Randoms, it's 23 other people that have a vote for Win Rate...that includes both opponents and team mates.

vr,

[STW-M]
Members
2,821 posts
6,835 battles

Honestly, it oftentimes depends on what ships you damaged.

Just yesterday, I got a Confederate and 2035 base xp in Pensacola, despite only doing 67k damage, because most of that was to enemy cruisers and destroyers. On the other hand, I also did 130k damage in Iowa a few days back but got less xp and no award because most of my damage was focused on a couple of battleships.

Burning 6 battleships for 20% of their health and a Confederate  (which they can heal right back up) means a lot less than whacking 20% of the health of 5 destroyers and a tier 8 cruiser. In the same vein, dev-striking all four enemy cruisers for a high caliber means a lot more than attacking three battleships and a carrier and only sinking one battleship and damaging the others for the same high caliber (since you left alive three ships capable of causing immense damage to your team, two of which have the least influence on a battle anyways  and one of which is completely operational even at 1 hp, as opposed to completely annihilating the lynchpin of the enemy team)

Basically, high caliber generally requires a lot more damage to be done in randoms in exchange for being directed at fewer target, while confederate requires less damage but also mandates you spread out that damage.

Ranked, however, significantly eases the difficulty of high caliber, but substantially boosts the difficulty of Confederate.

IMO, the best judge in the end is base xp, which takes into account everything from spotting, tanking, damage done and to what ships they were dealt to.

Members
309 posts
1 hour ago, TexJapan said:

IMO, the real indicator of your skill as a teammate is circled around "Avg XP" mixed with Avg Damage and contribution to Capture/Defense.  There are others that play a part, but not just one.  Folks really focus on Win Rate and it is important, but it is more of a "can I help influence" toward a Win.   For Randoms, it's 23 other people that have a vote for Win Rate...that includes both opponents and team mates.

vr,

Avg exp is modified by premium time.

It's pretty worthless.

Win rate is the only thing that matters in the end, once you have a sample size of 1-2000 battles. At that point, the random 23 other people cancel out, leaving your own skill as the only variable.

[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles

I don’t think win rate is a good indicator as well. With so much RNG that can influence the whole game, I think an overall mix of damage, kills, and how much you contribute to the team (rewards) is a better indicator.

[NGAGE]
Members
4,284 posts
6,294 battles
1 hour ago, intixw said:

He was talking about Base XP....which isn't modified by premium time.

[VFW]
Members
1,143 posts
22,870 battles
1 hour ago, intixw said:

It's pretty worthless.

Win rate is the only thing that matters in the end, once you have a sample size of 1-2000 battles. At that point, the random 23 other people cancel out, leaving your own skill as the only variable.

The Avg Exp that is shown in WoWs stats are Base XP, not modified nor premium.   To see that, look at your credit screen at the end of a match, view XP non-premium view, then look at your XP standing on the team standing screen.   It is base on BASE XP, not modified.

If it was based on premium time, then my XP Avg would be almost twice as high.   Plus, I've ask WG about this twice to ensure the answer.

vr, 

Members
309 posts
1 hour ago, yashma said:

He was talking about Base XP....which isn't modified by premium time.

Pretty sure the average exp as displayed through WG API is not base exp, but overall average exp, with premium modifer.

I recall seeing a dev post stating that the average exp stat wasn't meant to track performance, but meant to evaluate grind efficiency, or something.

[LHG]
Members
1,455 posts
5,826 battles

Confederate for taking down many little botes and generally being in a good position

High Caliber for solo-killing battleships and the occasional cruiser that are either out of position or lacking support

There's definitely ways to farm out either reward, but players who get them more than once in a blue moon are probably playing well.