You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gentle_Persuader

Izumo (Tough) Love

12 comments in this topic

[DTHRN]
Members
4 posts
2,626 battles

Last month I graduated to the Izumo. I'd read all the stuff about it and new it had a bad reputation. The first few times that I played her, I died quickly. I felt lost. Morso than the regular teething that's required when getting a new ship and learning it. I played the Yamato on the PTS last go around and didn't do great in that either even though it was designed "conventionally" compared to the "Business up front. Party in the back." layout of Izzy. Then I started watching videos on the Izumo and took notes. I learned that I'd need to basically re-learn how to fight a IJN BB in order to succeed with the Izzy.

• You should never show your sides in the Izumo. There are no broadsides. It's all about bow-on assaults.
  • Embrace the idea that you're going to do 90% of your fighting using 2/3 of your guns. That back turret is situational.
  • It's all about angling. Morso than with any IJN BB up to this point.
  • Don't show your backside if you can help it. There's a big barn door leading right to your citadel back there.
  • The side armor of the Izumo is made of wet tissue paper and will be destroyed by T8 BBs on a regular basis if you go broadside. Hide your sides.
  • Don't brawl or get in a knife fight in the Izumo. She has the biggest BB hull in the game and turns like a refrigerator full of cement... and don't forget the paper side armor.
  • Izumo's greatest strength are her main guns. Her AA is meh. Her Secondaries are meh. Her armor is... yikes.
  • Bow tanking is the Izumo's strength. facing the enemy at medium to partial long range and slinging out pain. Only Yamato and Musashi can really punish you with your bow facing the enemy (but they have their "cheeks" to worry about).
  • Don't go solo. You need support for AA and to keep your sides protected.

I applied my new knowledge to the Izzy and started doing much better. More importantly, when I applied this new knowledge to the Yamato, I excelled in her as well (she's a bow fighter too). Izumo teaches you how to play Yamato (which is more a floating island with guns attached than a fast IJN BB we're used to). By mastering the Izumo, you become a better Yamato player... and I think by skipping the Izumo and buying your way to the Yamato, you're cheating yourself out of a great education on how to handle a BIG battleship with a big "kick me" sign on it. I've seen players treating the Yamato like a normal BB and suffering the consequences. Izumo is the stepping stone to the Yamato for a reason. A very frustrating and painful reason, but a good reason nonetheless.

Izumo is the paradigm shift of the IJN BB line. It's jolting. But once you learn to use Izzy the way she's meant to be used, it's not that bad and makes Yamato so much easier.

This has all been said before, but I wanted to share it again because I think the Izumo is an important teacher.

• Cool 3

[ARP2]
Members
1,358 posts
3,637 battles

Anyone who makes it through Izumo on a straight grind should get a case of their favorite drink mailed to them by Wargaming and free theraputic help.

I made it to the C hull +50k xp before I broke and just free xped to Yamato.

Good luck on your grind.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,117 posts
5,268 battles
1 hour ago, Hatework said:

Anyone who makes it through Izumo on a straight grind should get a case of their favorite drink mailed to them by Wargaming and free theraputic help.

Good luck on your grind.

I've grinded mine fully in co op :3

[ARP2]
Members
1,358 posts
3,637 battles
6 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

I've grinded mine fully in co op :3

I'm sorry.

[DTHRN]
Members
4 posts
2,626 battles
2 hours ago, Hatework said:

Good luck on your grind.

Thanks. I've upgraded to the C hull. Don't think I'm going to bother with the range and engine upgrades. Have +80k xp on her after all that. I don't mind playing her as much now, but I do look forward to the Yamato. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Arsenal will be like on the live server to see the price of Yamato there. She's way too easy to get on the PTS version of the Arsenal right now, but that's on purpose I think.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,117 posts
5,268 battles
1 hour ago, Hatework said:

I'm sorry.

And I've also kept it and bought a premium camo for it.

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure they'll help out future Izumo players! Glad to hear that you're steadily improving in your Izumo!

[BANT]
Beta Testers
123 posts
5,122 battles

Izumo has no greatest strength, just a series of ever increasing weaknesses or contradictory elements.

Case in point, your suggestion that she never get into a brawl because she has no side armour, can be seen coming a mile away, and can't turn for peanuts - yet her guns are so horrendously bad that, like a Gneisenau, they only function at sub 6km range. You'll never beat an Iowa or Missouri anywhere but in a brawl, for example.

Bow tanking also only works if there are no cruisers within range. If there are, bow tanking does absolutely nothing at all. Does nothing at all regardless when up against RN battleships.

• Cool 1

[DTHRN]
Members
4 posts
2,626 battles
9 hours ago, NTRabbit said:

Izumo has no greatest strength, just a series of ever increasing weaknesses or contradictory elements.

Case in point, your suggestion that she never get into a brawl because she has no side armour, can be seen coming a mile away, and can't turn for peanuts - yet her guns are so horrendously bad that, like a Gneisenau, they only function at sub 6km range. You'll never beat an Iowa or Missouri anywhere but in a brawl, for example.

Bow tanking also only works if there are no cruisers within range. If there are, bow tanking does absolutely nothing at all. Does nothing at all regardless when up against RN battleships.

I don't know. I get plenty of citadels against BBs in the Izumo and love her guns. I've taken out Montana, Iowa, Yamato and Musashi class BBs with her. I've died a lot too, but that's all part of the journey. RN BBs are a problem for most but I've held my own in the Izumo. I'm not an great player, but the Izumo punishes bad habits and lazy BB drivers (don't care about angling, drive broadside in straight line to "get all the guns" on an enemy etc). You can see the people who didn't learn Izumo's lessons when they're driving the Yamato around like a Fuso.

[NETSI]
Members
77 posts
8,512 battles
19 hours ago, Gentle_Persuader said:

I don't know. I get plenty of citadels against BBs in the Izumo and love her guns. I've taken out Montana, Iowa, Yamato and Musashi class BBs with her. I've died a lot too, but that's all part of the journey. RN BBs are a problem for most but I've held my own in the Izumo. I'm not an great player, but the Izumo punishes bad habits and lazy BB drivers (don't care about angling, drive broadside in straight line to "get all the guns" on an enemy etc). You can see the people who didn't learn Izumo's lessons when they're driving the Yamato around like a Fuso.

I don’t understand how people claim Izumo’s guns are great. I can’t see the consistency on it as I do on say the Missouri, an immediate counterpart (aka the only other tier 9 BB I own).

Side by side comparison, Missouri’s guns are far better grouped by having access to the dispersion mod while Izumo’s shell can go all over the place with its horrible vertical dispersion.

It’s shell caliber is in an awkward zone where it cannot overmatch most bow on armor, but will give you a ton of overpens against broadsided targets leading to extreme frustration and inability to consistently punish enemy players.

What redeeming features do these guns even have when compared to the tier 9 Musashi which completely makes Izumo irrelevant?

[SPTR]
Members
20,147 posts
6,028 battles
1 hour ago, hyuuu said:

I don’t understand how people claim Izumo’s guns are great. I can’t see the consistency on it as I do on say the Missouri, an immediate counterpart (aka the only other tier 9 BB I own).

Side by side comparison, Missouri’s guns are far better grouped by having access to the dispersion mod while Izumo’s shell can go all over the place with its horrible vertical dispersion.

It’s shell caliber is in an awkward zone where it cannot overmatch most bow on armor, but will give you a ton of overpens against broadsided targets leading to extreme frustration and inability to consistently punish enemy players.

What redeeming features do these guns even have when compared to the tier 9 Musashi which completely makes Izumo irrelevant?

While I haven't used the Izumo, I've been on the receiving end and I've heard about the reputation. Its strength is in shell velocity, and it has one of the best in the game especially for 16-inch shells.

While it's pretty much the only strength those things have against the Mo's guns (Unless you want to peek, in which case, you probably are very dead), as far as I know, that strength can be vital in smacking all ships that you encounter due to the lesser aiming required. 

[DTHRN]
Members
4 posts
2,626 battles
On 6/12/2018 at 2:10 AM, hyuuu said:

Izumo's guns are her greatest strength is what I wrote and they are. She requires great aiming, but she citadels T9 and T10 BBs regularly. I think people's dismissive attitude toward the Izumo is also a strength because people underestimate her when played by a competent player who fights her correctly. The problem is, most use her like an Amagi and then get frustrated when it doesn't work out the way they want it to. I never felt hamstrung by driving the Izumo. I took it as a badge of pride that, when played correctly, the Izumo could surprise an opponent who dismissed her away.

I'll be the first to say that she's flawed in a lot of ways and looks like an incomplete design. She looks like a prototypical "hey... what if we did this.." model in a long list of prototype ship plans (which she in fact was). She needs to be buffed and she needs her 3rd turret turned around to face forward, but the Izumo can be played successfully if the tips in my initial post are followed.

As for the Musashi, she's a gimped Yamato and even as my favorite ship historically, shouldn't have been only a T9 BB. She was just as strong as Yamato in real life and dumbing down her guns is insulting. Musashi is a T9 Premium and not a great revenue maker from what I hear. She's a means to either an economic end or for the desire to want to drive a Yamato class BB one tier earlier. I don't have a problem with people who drive the Musashi. I'd love to get her myself just for the namesake. I see the Izumo as like the South Carolina of the IJN BB line. A ship that makes you say "really?" when you first start playing her, but if you learn the lessons, she's a loyal boat.