You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

It'd be nice if spotting damage was.... worth more xp

29 comments in this topic

[NGAGE]
Members
3,006 posts
7,993 battles

This seems like... the wrong amount of XP rewards. Spotted for 213k damage and did 47k (which is really "meh") and only ended up #6 on the team?

I mean, I like winning, so I will keep doing this sort of gameplay. But it really seems like maybe spotting damage should be a bit more rewarded if the point of it is to make destroyers play more scout-like and less damage farmy.

unknown.png

unknown.png

• Cool 7

Members
33 posts
23 battles

Seconded^^^

It would also be nice if we got more xp for tanking (high potential damage) 

Edited by Miproyq

[INTEL]
Members
1,188 posts
10,612 battles

Yep that sucks. You did exactly what a DD should be doing when it doesnt have anything to shoot and you get crap-all reward for it. At least in WOTs you get 1/2 credit for spotting damage.

• Cool 2

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,009 posts
14,714 battles

Before they added xp credit for that WG did not give credit for that at all. So the fact we get any credit at all is something to be grateful for.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,006 posts
7,993 battles
13 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Yep that sucks. You did exactly what a DD should be doing when it doesnt have anything to shoot and you get crap-all reward for it. At least in WOTs you get 1/2 credit for spotting damage.

I mean, we did get the win, so that's something.

But 213k spotting is really impressive when you realize ships who are still shooting normally don't count into the spotting (some with battleships can).

[LOU1]
Members
3,528 posts
9,376 battles

The last major economy change, patch 0.5.12 that increased the earnings for spotting, potential damage, etc.:

Spoiler

"Earnings Structure
When 0.5.12 was coming out, many players asked how the new earning system was structured. How much are you earning with each feat you accomplish? We'll be comparing these new accomplishments to the amount you'd get for single-handedly destroying an enemy ship of equal tier (solo ship destruction). Here's a general idea of how your accomplishments contribute to your end-of-battle haul:

Contributing any damage to a ship destruction = 1/5 solo ship destruction
Destruction of 30 aircraft = 1 solo ship destruction
Rewards for damage dealing are based on the percentage of the target's max HP.
Domination and Standard Battles

1 solo point capture = 1/3 solo ship destruction
Contributing any amount to a point capture = 1/3 of a solo point capture
Fully defending a base (removing all points) = 1/3 of a solo point capture
Blocking a point from enemy capture for the time it would take to capture a point = 1/7 of a solo point capture
Epicenter

Capture and protection = 1/3 of Domination and Standard Battle values
Blockage = 1/10 of Domination and Standard Battle values
Detecting Ships (A detected ship counts towards your score if it isn't detected in the battle before, or went undetected by your team for at least two minutes)

Completely detected team (12 ships) = 1/10 solo ship destruction
Damage dealt to detected ship by player - approx 2% applied to end-of-battle reward
Tanking (potential damage) - 15% applied to end-of-battle reward

Type-Specific Characteristics
Since different ships are geared towards different roles in battle, activity rewards mentioned above are set individually for each type, and sometimes even for individual ships. This is based on ship activity that we observed during out study.

For instance, aircraft carriers tend to stay out of the action. They don't "tank" or do a lot of point capture. Therefore, those activities aren't weighed heavily in calculating post-battle rewards. The same goes for individual ships such as the USS Pensecola cruiser. She doesn't endure as much damage as her fellow tier VII cruisers, so activities like "tanking" aren't given as much consideration as other activities in her post-battle reward calculations.

We are still watching these rewards -- particularly the damage credit for detecting ships -- to see how it affects gameplay and player behavior. We plan on increasing the reward for damage dealt in 0.5.15. "

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/itstheeconomygenius/

Spoiler

Of course, bringing damage and capturing points - are important elements around which a significant part of gameplay is built. However, there are other actions that are not less important to victory, but they are not rewarded economically. This situation was fixed in 0.5.12 version: we have added new indicators to reward that can be seen in battle statistics:

∙Amount of potential damage (damage received and blocked - maximum damage of all shells, bombs or torpedoes that hit the player's ship or were within 500- radius from her);

∙ Number of detected ships, aircrafts and torpedoes;

∙ Amount of damage brought to the targets detected by player.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/97516-0512-downtime-and-notes/?tab=comments#comment-2396292

• Cool 1

Members
904 posts

You would think with all the DD nerfs and so much radar in game now they would throw the DD players a bone by increasing spotting damage xp for DD. Reward DD players for doing their job in spotting, but sadly..........

Edited by SteelClaw
  • Cool 1

[KSD]
Members
479 posts
15,956 battles

How loud do we need to shout until WG starts listening on this issue (and it IS an issue), I wonder.

I also think potential damage should be awarded more.

Today in a GK; dealt 145k damage, got a kill, got a cap assist and drew 2.9 million potential damage. Came 3rd with only 1580xp.

I mean, 2.9 million potential damage is large enough to have made a significant contribution to the health and survival of my teammates. Kinda think it should matter more.

• Cool 1

Members
2,331 posts
11,044 battles

IMO anything over 100k spotting damage should be a scouting award of some sort.  That is a very good game OP.

The 2% number I see mystifies me.  That is damage that would not be possible without you helping the team.  In tanks the spotting reward is 50/50.  I'm not sure it needs to be that high, but 2% is very low IMO.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,481 posts

Star Wars Galaxies in its glory days had a profession called 'Squad Leader'. One of the abilities it had was that he would 'mark' a target NPC or player and his team would get a small accuracy bonus/crit chance bonus ... and the squad leader got an extra chunk of the XP by doing so.

Why not use this in this game? They should just add a new unlimited consumable that 'tags' an enemy ship as 'spotted' for the team. DD targets a ship, clicks the 'Spot' consumable.. people on the DD's team will see that ship 'marked' with a + icon above it ...and gain a small% bonus to accuracy (lower dispersion).

Only one DD can spot another ship at any given time. The DD can only 'spot' while it is in stealth. DD should gain 35% bonus XP/credits of the total xp/credits the damage applied to that target rewards.

This way the DD manually 'works' to spot and gain bonuses for spotting. Yes, detecting multiple enemy ships and revealing to the team should still give the small bonus you get now but this method at least encourages spotting as a task more than a side-effect.  

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,208 battles

You never captured any points or defended, that has a fair bit to do with a DD getting a decent amount of xp.

[-KAK-]
Members
98 posts
4,092 battles
3 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

You never captured any points or defended, that has a fair bit to do with a DD getting a decent amount of xp.

Judging by the 0/60 for captured and 0/26 for defended -- I think the game might have been a Standard Battle. (Granted I could be wrong).

Which is an issue in itself. In Domination you're usually bound to get some captured/defense as a DD, but in SB that option isn't as prevalent

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,208 battles
4 minutes ago, _Pixi_ said:

Judging by the 0/60 for captured and 0/26 for defended -- I think the game might have been a Standard Battle. (Granted I could be wrong).

Which is an issue in itself. In Domination you're usually bound to get some captured/defense as a DD, but in SB that option isn't as prevalent

Your mostly likely right, but the capture points does make a difference in earnings, now I'm not saying that you shouldn't get more for spotting but it's one of those things, at least now we get a pretty ribbon for it, so maybe there might be a change

Edited by CriMiNaL__

[SIDE]
Members
2,042 posts

This has been brought up a few times. Very few folks disagree. It’s definately something WG should look into.

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,342 posts
11,446 battles

Unless you're dealing damage, capping, defending caps or shooting down planes the XP system doesn't give a damn. 

It's been this way for far too long.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,340 posts
2,961 battles
5 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

Starting to think the devs for this game could give less a crap about what the players really think. They gave us a ribbon for spotting and neglected the xp.

Damage as the only metric in this game to get xp from is boring and leaves team play to be desired most times.

I'm honestly getting tired of this dev team and how they keep ignoring players requesting for the game to have more team based game play.

[TMS]
Members
2,258 posts
23,961 battles

I would love for potential damage done to the enemy to be included because its not my fault that some of my team members cant hit a barn door from the inside.

Edited by Final8ty

[-HON-]
Beta Testers
473 posts
11,637 battles

I've given up trying to understand WGs XP formula.

Any type of team play seams to not be well rewarded.

spotting1.thumb.jpg.f1deaf218aea1aa068c96f8b40bf8167.jpg

spotting2.thumb.jpg.66d72e7d07ba3966c60d4616d7148737.jpg

[ARGSY]
Members
9,629 posts
6,297 battles

It's one thing to push quietly and insistently (and politely) for change. 

It's another to let yourself become salty and bitter over it.

I agree completely with the need to increase the amount of XP for spotting and tanking; the question is how much and how fast.

Tanks has a different damage metric, from what I've seen by watching the game played. A fifty-fifty share might not be appropriate to WOWS, but a bigger cut certainly wouldn't go astray.

@Gneisenau013,  can you please quietly pass this one up to the devs and see what they have to say about it? I don't know how to say "Pretty Please" in Russian, but I would if I could.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,188 posts
10,612 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's one thing to push quietly and insistently (and politely) for change. 

It's another to let yourself become salty and bitter over it.

I agree completely with the need to increase the amount of XP for spotting and tanking; the question is how much and how fast.

Tanks has a different damage metric, from what I've seen by watching the game played. A fifty-fifty share might not be appropriate to WOWS, but a bigger cut certainly wouldn't go astray.

@Gneisenau013,  can you please quietly pass this one up to the devs and see what they have to say about it? I don't know how to say "Pretty Please" in Russian, but I would if I could.

For the record, its not a 50/50 xp split in WOTs. If tank A has the vision and tank B does the damage. Tank B gets full xp for the damage, while tank A gets 1/2 of that value for a total of 150% awarded. Its not uncommon for a good light tank or tank destroyer driver to simply park in a bush and rack up a lot of XP from simply spotting. Even more shocking, it happens in RANDOM BATTLES!  OMG, TEAM PLAY IN A WG PRODUCT!??? :fish_palm:  I'm pretty sure it was Jingles that posted a vid a few years back of a light tank player who earned top XP on the winning team while not taking a single shot in the match. WOT's also has specific awards for spotting/spotting damage.

100/50 might not be pushing it in WOWs due to the differences in vision mechanics. In WOTs there is a very large amount of cover and gun bloom is different. Its often possible to make shots without revealing yourself, even while sitting in the open if you're outside the spotting tanks vision range. In WOWS when a ship fires every enemy in its gun range with clear LOS now has it spotted for 20 sec. Also aircraft will detect it if its inside their detection range.

So say the map is Ocean and the OP gets vision on the red GK. Every green in range opens up and does 20k damage. Now the GK has a bunch of targets, It fires and everyone has vision, no more xp for the OP unless the GK goes dark again. On Ocean, once the fighting starts spotting damage is gonna be, eh. Now do the same thing on a tight map like Shatter. I can easily see a DD or stealthy cruiser (Leander, Perth, Belfast, Mino, even Zao) getting a position and earning more XP from spotting than from shooting.

Think about how many times you've seen this~~~> Red team has a BB, a couple of easily spotted cruisers, and no DDs. They also have cover. Meanwhile you have A DD or worse, a Mino, and a couple of BB's. DD gets vison on the red BB, immediately drops smoke and starts firing at the BB so your BB's are doing the spotting for him. (worse, he drops smoke and tada, you cant see anything) Or the Mino is hiding behind the BBs while his smoke is on cooldown. Meanwhile your BBs are getting burned down by the island humping cruisers. What's more important for the team, the DDs eyes, or his 5" popguns?

Everything I just said goes for Cv's as well. Most of of know how infuriating it is when a CV driver flys his empty bombers over a DD and just keeps going rather than giving people a chance to kill it.

For my part, if I have a chance to spot while staying dark, I'm going to do it every time. I'd much rather have a mediocre/bad game in a win than a good game in a loss.

I have 80,729 reasons for my opinion. That's the amount of spotting damage I had in a recent match in the Musashi. We had 3 DDs still alive when we lost.

Edited by Ares1967

[NG-NL]
Members
5,652 posts
9,424 battles

Here's a good question:

What ships were damaged by your spotting? I believe the HP % thing applied to credits for damaging red ships also applies to spotting damage. Also, that results screen does not show the spotting damage done to DDs, CRs, and BBs. Logically damage done to a DD you spotted should be worth more than damage done to another ship you spotted.

It seems just a communication-of-results issue, frankly.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,006 posts
7,993 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

Here's a good question:

What ships were damaged by your spotting? I believe the HP % thing applied to credits for damaging red ships also applies to spotting damage. Also, that results screen does not show the spotting damage done to DDs, CRs, and BBs. Logically damage done to a DD you spotted should be worth more than damage done to another ship you spotted.

It seems just a communication-of-results issue, frankly.

If only the game said this...

I mean, even if it was battleships exclusively (a lot was a khaba/DM though) it's still 2 full HP ships worth.