You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

a-B-c

14 comments in this topic

Members
4,719 posts
7,555 battles

In a match with 3 caps which is the BEST one to nab first? B?  Reason I ask this is I see lots of players call out go to C!  Ok, so a lemming train heads to C while the Reds, if cool, nab A and B cause too many of your team are heading to C...too many are at C. Reds often kill the few ships that did not go for C. Gives Reds an advantage much of the time.  See what I am saying? This is capology! Comments from all you capologists?   Tks

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

I never go up the middle at the beginning of the match.  Never.

Always keep the threat to one side.

Edited by Kuckoo

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,197 posts
3,895 battles

Going for B right away is suicidal. It basically delivers your ship to the enemy team on a silver platter. Even destroyers need to be cautious about it, and avoid it if they aren't supported. At least until you know where the enemy is, and most importantly, where the enemy radar is.

[PLPT]
Members
208 posts
9,810 battles

Giving B away early will often lead to a loss, you just have to be smart about how you take it.

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
15,411 battles

The middle cap is always the most dangerous, which is why most people will shy away from it.  If you can cap it, then yes, you will have the advantage.  But most players will opt to try one of the caps on the flanks first to try and avoid that early game departure.

Members
66 posts
2,037 battles

Assign the more far cap area as last. If C is the most nearest must be C B. That allowed also the group to fire and [edited] mouvement of the enemy toward B. The problem always is the same: follow the team this established plan or not? Usually one or more ships dont follow the plan, sail to A to be isolated and destroyed by the first minutes.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,877 posts
13,869 battles

Map-dependent. Rushing B on Shatter or Ocean is suicide. Rushing it on Islands of Ice, less so (since the cap is huge).

Overall though, early capping is almost never a good idea. Get intel first, then determine where and when to cap.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
53 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

I never go up the middle at the beginning of the match.  Never.

Always keep the threat to one side.

This is what I'd say.

-Members-
360 posts
194 battles

Going B is usually never my first choice, because if you do, you are ensuring you will take fire from both sides. Or as another put it, "Always keep the threat to one side."

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Going for B right away is suicidal. It basically delivers your ship to the enemy team on a silver platter. Even destroyers need to be cautious about it, and avoid it if they aren't supported. At least until you know where the enemy is, and most importantly, where the enemy radar is.

It really depends on the how you approach it. DDs can nibble at the edges of the cap, cruisers can set up to use radar or fire from behind an island, and BBs can push up into range to cover the cap — as long as no one overcommits it’s fine. 

Mostly you want to be ready to take the middle cap of the enemy abandons it, and you need to be in position to disrupt them if they try to take it  

[RUST]
Beta Testers
992 posts
11,138 battles

Not sailing into the middle cap or "B" caps  is not the same thing as not contesting such caps. They should still be contested so the red teams doesn't get them for free either.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

In a match with 3 caps which is the BEST one to nab first? B?  Reason I ask this is I see lots of players call out go to C!  Ok, so a lemming train heads to C while the Reds, if cool, nab A and B cause too many of your team are heading to C...too many are at C. Reds often kill the few ships that did not go for C. Gives Reds an advantage much of the time.  See what I am saying? This is capology! Comments from all you capologists?   Tks

One thing I will add to my earlier answer sort of leans towards a thread I started today- but first: People calling a single cap at the beginning aren't worth listening to- unless of course you're in a standard battle and then the whole offense vs defense discussion takes over. That's for another time. 

Typically an advance in domination will involve a push on 2 caps- when it comes time to sitting back to assess "which two" you're going to pick then take a look at the islands on the map and whether or not they exclude one of the caps from the other two... Think about it from the perspective of supporting your team: If you or others go into that isolated cap are you going to be able to support them from the neighbouring cap? Will they be able to support you if you get into trouble? 

More often that not if a team can simultaneously push caps that provide an opportunity for mutual support, this gives them the best opportunity to influence the overall battle in the long run. Sure, the other team may waltz into a single cap and have those points- but in the meantime if you've focused on 2 caps, you outnumber the red team by at least 1 ship so it's time to push that advantage. 

If you're getting conflicting orders at the beginning of the match between capping two caps separated by islands enough that it will limit the ability to support or to be supported by, then lean towards the group suggesting two caps that provide that support opportunity. 

Edited by Gascan75
  • Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Only reason a middle cap early could be safe is if it's a CV game, and your CV is spotting anything getting close to that cap. Only then could someone know if it's safe to cap that early.