You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Friday Debriefing - Ranked Battles Season 9

53 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,202 posts
6,973 battles

image.png

How did you do during Season 9 of Ranked Battles?

The finals shots were fired and the last torpedoes launched bringing Season 9 of Ranked Battles to a close.

The final tally for myself was Rank 10, with a 60.5% win rate. I only went with a 4 ship rotation:

- Kidd: 50% - 10 ships sunk

- Kutuzov: 67% - 7 ships sunk

- LoYang: 64% - 5 ships sunk

- Prinz Eugen: 100%(1 battle) - 3 ships sunk

I set my goal to reach Rank 10 and it was obtained using these 4 ships. I am satisfied with my accomplishments and hope everyone else was able to accomplish their objectives.

Did you set out and meet your mission objectives and we see you for Season 10?

"If you want my ghost, just say 'We've always done it that way.' and I will haunt you for 24 hours." - Grace Hopper, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

[TBW]
Members
7,229 posts
13,353 battles

I played like 5 battles and realized why I quit doing, the Ranked that is not ranked mode, it isn't fun. It's too bad that a couple of desirable ships are locked behind the rank (as in stinky) Ranked mode.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,877 posts
13,869 battles

Ranked out with about the normal amount of pain. Then (after a week or so off) I missed being able to play 7v7 with fixed tiers, because once you hit R1, it's over... League of Sea Wolves has been a joke for over a year now, and this season was no exception.

I'm glad WG has finally put a reasonable amount of cooldown time between Ranked and Clan Battles, though. Quite grateful for that! Now I can look forward to the next season instead of dreading it.

• Cool 3

[NGAGE]
Members
1,371 posts
7,776 battles

I made rank 3 in 60 battles from rank 15.

I got my radar mod and called it quits. I'm just not a fan of the mode, but that's just preference. I did want that radar mod though!

I used a combination of Prinz E and the Enterprise while in the t8 bracket.

I used exclusively the Hindenburg in the t10 bracket. It's just such a well rounded ship. It doesn't really excel in any area other than being well rounded... but oddly enough that's exactly what makes it so good. I hope wargaming doesn't screw with it much as it would take very little to make it super meh.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
51 posts
3,024 battles

I played two games in the Hipper a day or two before Ranked closed (you know, just because). I found out that positive communication results in a more positive and cooperative team. In the two matches I played, both games were won. 

Members
256 posts
7,128 battles

57 games played total made it to rank 10 and played one game after rank 10. I did not have a t10 ship yet and wound up grinding out a des moines and played it stock in one game.

my workhorse was my bismark with 36 battles a 53wr and 70k average damage sinking 21

played 7 games in a north carolina and managed a 57wr with 73k avg dmg and sinking 9

11 games in a kagero  sunk 3 ships  45wr 30k avg dmg 

2 games in a new orleans 0 sunk 0%wr 46k average damage.

the lone t10 game with 1 sunk 100%wr and 46k damage

If im reading the stats right the bis contributed to 22% of the defense and 6% of the capping while the kagero had 33% capping and 2% defense.

i did not like the tier split at rank 10.

the only goal i had was getting to rank 10 since i had no t10 ships yet.

most wins came from everyone following whatever plan was conjured up in chat as the timer reached 0 and the narrator announced general quarters.

most losses came from people doing their own thing and not following a common plan.

Edited by MokrieDela

[TOG]
Members
3,272 posts
17,207 battles

I made up to T10 in the Lo Yang fair smoothly. The problem at T10 is the meta to save a star rather than win it. Got up to 8.5 then yo yod up and down till I said "I quit" at T9.

Once thing I had noted is that number of ranked players playing in random had decreased from last year. Last season or two you'd see 2/3 of players being ranked. Now you'd be lucky to see 25%.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,833 posts
4,114 battles

@Gneisenau013

My ranked season started off hot, 

Tier 8 ranked was a breeze, used the Kidd to great effect and ended up No2 on the  NA Kidd Leader board for ranked s9

image.png.448c90812ec3c309681323cb9c7631c9.png

Breezed through into Rank 7 with hindy.. Was doing great for the 1st quarter of the season. And thats when I just dropped off in terms of performance, stayed between 6 and 7 all season but I never really pushed hard like I should of due to time constraints.  It was incredibly difficult to retain stars with my Gearing, I panicked back into the Hindy / Min and I never really got back into a killer winstreak for the remainder of the season. 

All in all it was a good season, a bit disappointed with myself near the half / end but its just a swift kick in the [edited] to get better and clean up my gameplay. 

image.thumb.png.11e145c562fee28346fe81b47a4e18c9.png

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,643 posts
22,586 battles

I don't have the time, energy, skill or patience to rank out. I always try to make it to 5 but other things take precedence. Ended at 7 with two weeks left.

I do like the format except for the save the star stuff. When first instituted, it made sense. Now, appears that is the modus operandi for many and they say as much in the chat. "I'm just here to save my star, that is all this is about." I heard that more than I care to remember.

Edited by Wye_So_Serious

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles

I did the tier 8 portion in the Kidd, enjoyed it, and ranked up fast. 

The tier 10 portion was miserable. I only have one tier 10, and I’m not that good with it. It was expensive, and there were no options to use ships that were a better fit.

I really hope that there is never a tier 10 ranked season again — I’m just not doing that again. 

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,820 posts
5,136 battles

80 Battles managed to bring me to rank 9.  58.75% win rate which is quite a bit lower then previous ranked seasons.  But also had more battles then those.  Hindenburg (my only tier X) Akizuki and New Orleans were my heavy lifters

Hindenburg I didn't do so great with just because I'm new to the ship

43 battles.  55.81% Win Rate.  78,406 Average Damage

Akizuki, which I'm well acquainted with, gave me very good results

21 Battles.  71.43% Win Rate.  56,392 Average Damage

New Orleans my numbers were low but I treated it more as support and radar abuser given how often I found myself the only or maybe the 2nd of 2 cruisers in a DD/BB populated lineup

26 Battles.  53.85% Win Rate.  50,240 Average Damage

78 enemy ships sunk in the 80 games.  65 by main battery, 1 by secondary, and 12 torpedo kills.  All in all, wish I had the time to try for Rank 1 but I'm happy with where I managed and how I performed.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Hit rank 10 by going 16-2 with the Shokaku. Rank 10 was my goal as the queues for CVs after that aren't worth my time, and I'd be a liability in my other tier 10 ships. And with the amount of rage that came my way from my team when I was averaging 1.67 kills per game, and an 88.89% win rate, I'm not too keen on seeing how unpleasant people get when I can't virtually guarantee them a win.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,463 posts
11,457 battles

I made it to R10 from R? pretty easily in radar Edinburgh, which was at least exciting. Only 54% WR but lots of star retention.

When I got to R10 I messed around with various ships to start with which was pretty poor for a few games (like 20 games in R10) before settling down in the OP Hindenburg and grinding up to my target of R3 for the radar module. Now it turns out you might be able to get it through the arsenal...

Overall it was good and bad in parts, R3 is the highest I've ever been.

The rewards for high ranks are few, far between and frequently pretty underwhelming.

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
530 posts
25,491 battles

Ranked out for the fifth time so the Black should be coming my way.

I love the format.  Teams, yes, but not the pre-set teams you see in Clan Battles.  Every bloody game is different.

Yes, it took me a HUGE number of games to rank out this season but I enjoy the roller coaster ride and never doubted my eventual destination.

I do not like tier 10 for Ranked, however.  Not friendly at all to the DD drivers such as myself.  Clearly a capital ship meta at tier 10.

After so many ranked games going back to randoms is just....dull.  heh

Sab

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
530 posts
25,491 battles
1 hour ago, Spartias said:

I made rank 3 in 60 battles from rank 15.

I got my radar mod and called it quits. I'm just not a fan of the mode, but that's just preference. I did want that radar mod though!

Darn it, Spartias, you should have gone ahead and ranked out for the first time.  You were sooo close.  And you were on quite the roll in the Hindy, too.

[NGAGE]
Members
1,371 posts
7,776 battles
1 minute ago, Sabene said:

Darn it, Spartias, you should have gone ahead and ranked out for the first time.  You were sooo close.  And you were on quite the roll in the Hindy, too.

I know... and I thought about it a lot...

I just don't like ranked lol. Too grindy.

And i really like division/clan battles play. It's just more fun.

But gah... I really really did want that radar mod.

[LHG]
Members
2,032 posts
5,662 battles

Made Rank 10 but didn't have a T10 ship to go any further.  

I had the best success in the Tirpitz, Bismark and New Orleans.  I also tried out Alabama, North Carolina and Yolang but they didn't work as well for me this season so after a while, I just kept them in port. 

I found some additional benefits though.  I played New Orleans and Bismark enough to advance to the T9 FDG and the Baltimore.  After I hit 10 I played Baltimore quite a bit but couldn't get her quite far enough to pick up the Des Moines so I could continue with Ranked. 

Oh well, there's always next season.  

Evaluation:  Ranked was, for lack of a better word, sloppy this year. After season 8 I expected teams to be more cohesive with fewer yolos, however that was far from being the case.  Even Season 7 with the T6 ships had much better teamwork.  In the past, it was rare to have a ship yolo off on it's own once you reached R15 and if you were unlucky enough to have a yolo it spelled almost certain doom.   This year it was odd to not have at least one or two yolo's each game, but normally the red ships had the same problem so it often looked more like a semi-organized game in Random Battles than it did the Ranked games I've played in the past. 

[AP]
Members
1,230 posts
13,100 battles

got to rank10 with 60%WR?

nice

now get rank1 please

i need some kind of reassurance on WG actually having at least one employee that is decent at this game

• Funny 1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

I got to Rank 8.

Lo Yang; 54 battles, 27 ships sunk, 54% win rate.

Hindenberg; 23 battles, 7 ships sunk, 61% win rate.

Henri IV; 2 battles, 0 ships sunk, 50% win rate.

Prinz Eugen; 2 battles, 1 ship sunk, 50% win rate.

Edited by ReddNekk

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,282 posts

Since you asked, I had a season quite similar to many other players. My goal was R10 so I exceeded it by reaching R9.4. Here's the results:

shot-18_06.08_14_47.37-0745.thumb.jpg.d2b475ad6492f2d649e6756449b391f0.jpg

Interesting to me was: 

shot-18_06.08_14_49.35-0943.thumb.jpg.270c472dfbbd5688beb0abca51acb40d.jpg

The 'Bama performed amazingly well for me. I was practically stunned just how good she did. For some reason, I always thought she was kind of a weak ship. 

Most interesting (to me) was me 'n my Montana: 

shot-18_06.08_14_52.13-0106.thumb.jpg.cb4ed90def8f53c581efb080968a2914.jpg

Played five battles in her - but sank zero ships with her. However, I averaged 74K in damage on the reds over those five matches. Not sniping but pushing her on the front line with a couple of team players following along... I'd hit for some solid damage, they'd finish the target. It was wonderfully fun for me. 

BTW OP, this was probably the most relaxed and enjoyable ranked I've played so far. Many folks have suggestions on the forum for the next season; I think you may want to consider those, as the tenth season should be something "special". GG

[NDA]
Supertester
5,132 posts
15,139 battles

This was my 5th season of Rank to reach R1. The 9th season of Rank was no different than any other season of Rank I've played through. Same toxic players, A few team killers, Not a few teams who threw away the victory, stat shamers, Same Back of the Map Damage Farming Save a Star Scubs and one or two Detonations. I used the LoYang to get to Rank 10 and than ran the DesMoines up to Rank 5.4 before falling back to Rank 6.3 It was at this point I gave up playing for the team by controlling caps with my consumables and took out the YueYang with Radar and Radar Mod installed. I started winning more games by hunting the DDs and torpedoing the campers.

I finished the season of Rank with 149 games played and a 59.06% WR. 

The North map that was configured for T8 ships wasn't bad but the same map for the T10s was border line cancerous. 

The Mountain Range map in the Rank configuration was fun to play and highlighted how terrible that map is for randoms battles. 

Tears of the Desert was my least favorite map to see, very spread out and made for a very spread out game. As a radar cruiser you camped an island hoping the enemy doesn't get flanking shots while you wait to radar the cap. But mostly I just watched teams sail around damage farming from max range while the ships brave enough to try for caps died. 

Hot Spot was an Ok Rank map. 

Sleeping Giants was just stupid but that's not very different than how it is in Random battles. 

Warriors Path was another Camp Islands watch team damage farm map.   

Captains get so focused on keeping their star there is no room for innovative game play. There is a meta for each map and even if it leads to defeat ships must go to their meta defined place or get yelled at. I can count on one hand the number of battles I saw a team do something different and I watched as they steam rolled to victory. Like the time my whole team rushed the B and C caps of Sleeping Giants. I guess we were lucky most of the enemy fleet was charging A but we made it work and won the battle by not being where the Rank Meta said we should be. 

I think that as long as Save a Star and Lose a Star are a part of Rank you will see the above list of toxic and bad players. This aspect of Rank in addition to the lengthy grind will turn people off from playing this game mode. Now don't get me wrong I find the 7v7 same tier battles to be fun. I even think forcing my way to Rank 1 for 5 season in a row is a factors in improving my skill with Warships. However, Rank is a stressful experience made worst by bad teams and as long as a star is on the line this sad fact will not change. 

But now that I have reached by goal of earning the Black I don't think I really care what happens to Rank battles. It could become the next Team Battles for all I care. Heck just look how dead the Rank 1 Super league is. Add in the fact that you will be able to earn most of the prizes from Rank when they open the Arsenal feature there will be less reason to play this terrible designed game mode. 

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,399 posts
9,221 battles
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

image.png

How did you do during Season 9 of Ranked Battles?

The finals shots were fired and the last torpedoes launched bringing Season 9 of Ranked Battles to a close.

The final tally for myself was Rank 10, with a 60.5% win rate. I only went with a 4 ship rotation:

- Kidd: 50% - 10 ships sunk

- Kutuzov: 67% - 7 ships sunk

- LoYang: 64% - 5 ships sunk

- Prinz Eugen: 100%(1 battle) - 3 ships sunk

I set my goal to reach Rank 10 and it was obtained using these 4 ships. I am satisfied with my accomplishments and hope everyone else was able to accomplish their objectives.

Did you set out and meet your mission objectives and we see you for Season 10?

"If you want my ghost, just say 'We've always done it that way.' and I will haunt you for 24 hours." - Grace Hopper, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

Me? Nothing spectacular, mooring in on a 58.54% ww at rank 10. Never made it past there as t10 rank turned into yamato and DD soup. 

For the record, my workhorse and flagship was the NC. Entering dry dock after 32 sorties with a 59% win rate. Maximum damage achieved was clocked at 159k and four ships sunk.

The one and only Admiral's barg Moskva, set anchor after Returning with a 71% ww over seven sorties and dealing a maximum of 151k damage and sinking a max of 2 targets.

Unfortunately, the pinace Des Moines did not have any success retrieving survivors after two sorties into Yamato and Conqueror infested waters and is currently undergoing extensive repairs at the expense of 17k damage.

All in all, 41 sorties, sinking 41 ships and shooting down 86 aircraft while covering 252k miles with three ships.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,399 posts
9,221 battles
2 hours ago, cometguy said:

Hit rank 10 by going 16-2 with the Shokaku. Rank 10 was my goal as the queues for CVs after that aren't worth my time, and I'd be a liability in my other tier 10 ships. And with the amount of rage that came my way from my team when I was averaging 1.67 kills per game, and an 88.89% win rate, I'm not too keen on seeing how unpleasant people get when I can't virtually guarantee them a win.

Not everyone appreciates the bane of battleships.