You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shenennigans

The Cursed Marathon...

27 comments in this topic

[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,443 battles

Seriously, what is happening with this Indianapolis Marathon!? I main US cruisers, and so I would like this ship (even though it doesn't look great). I just cannot believe the RNG. So the third mission was simply to win a match and come in first XP... no problem right? I do that very regularly. NO! Not this time! I lost 9 (NINE!?) games in a row trying to win that mission. I have never, in my entire WoWS career, lost nine games in a row. I did a bit of math, if I were to start 9 games and AFK all 9, I should statistically only lose all nine about 4% of the time. Playing at my slightly-above-average skill during all 9 games, that number drops well below 1%. I eventually gave up. I like to be level-headed when I game, and if it starts making me upset, it defeats the purpose of my leisure gaming time (to relax). So I walked away from a very easy mission, sure that I would be able to grab up the rest. Now, I have another very easy mission. Just start 5 fires and win a match (also stipulates 15000 fire damage, but if I start 5 fires, that's basically a given). So I ran a few games in the Des Moines, even managed to get the requisite 5 fires... but not on the single game I  managed to not be stuck on Team Potato. Ok, so maybe a lower tier game would be a bit easier, less fire prevention captains and tier fire chance reduction. I hop in my DoY and slap the fire flags on it. I landed 44 HE shells and started 2 fires in the first game. Second game didn't last very long. Why you ask? Because I squared off against a not-cursed DoY who managed to set 6 fires on me before I set a single one...

This mission is cursed. I no longer care if I get this ship because trying to get this ship is making me want to beat my head against my desk. This is absurd.

[VW]
Members
2,380 posts
14,108 battles

I’m on a nearly exact losing bender right now! The lack of wins during win mission day is upsetting. Oh well, made the tanking mission go by quick!

[AAA]
Members
496 posts
7,775 battles

Missions, Hasley campaign becomes a night mare if you play for those goals. Just play your natural game without trying for those goals and they would be done easily. Without trying hard much hard I am almost at the end of the Mission 3 of the Hasley campaign. The daily and weekend missions are being completed too without even me bothering to look at the mission criteria. 

• Cool 1

[70]
Members
1,070 posts
5,189 battles

Did that one first try in North Carolina. Top score tends to be harder with cruisers though as they often can't carry as much...

Edited by Guardian54
  • Funny 1

[AAA]
Members
496 posts
7,775 battles
2 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

Did that one first try in North Carolina. Top score tends to be harder with cruisers though as they often can't carry as much...

Depends on which cruiser you play and how you play it. I have done all those top score/top 3 score missions exclusively in my Hindy. Win or lose I mostly would be in top 3 in most matches when I am in my cruisers (only play tier 10 cruisers though)

[70]
Members
1,070 posts
5,189 battles
6 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

Depends on which cruiser you play and how you play it. I have done all those top score/top 3 score missions exclusively in my Hindy. Win or lose I mostly would be in top 3 in most matches when I am in my cruisers (only play tier 10 cruisers though)

I've been top in Shchors, Fiji etc. enough to know it can be done.

It's just rather less frequent than having BBs at the top (unless it's a stomp in which case BBs might never catch up and DDs can't reload torpedoes enough times to catch up to cruiser DPM).

[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,443 battles
1 minute ago, Guardian54 said:

I've been top in Shchors, Fiji etc. enough to know it can be done.

It's just rather less frequent than having BBs at the top (unless it's a stomp in which case BBs might never catch up and DDs can't reload torpedoes enough times to catch up to cruiser DPM).

It's probably more due to play style than anything though. I don't do nearly as well in my NC as I do my US cruisers. In a cruiser, I live in the top 3 XP.

[HELLS]
Members
1,981 posts
19,132 battles
49 minutes ago, Shenennigans said:

Seriously, what is happening with this Indianapolis Marathon!? I main US cruisers, and so I would like this ship (even though it doesn't look great). I just cannot believe the RNG. So the third mission was simply to win a match and come in first XP... no problem right? I do that very regularly. NO! Not this time! I lost 9 (NINE!?) games in a row trying to win that mission. I have never, in my entire WoWS career, lost nine games in a row. I did a bit of math, if I were to start 9 games and AFK all 9, I should statistically only lose all nine about 4% of the time. Playing at my slightly-above-average skill during all 9 games, that number drops well below 1%. I eventually gave up. I like to be level-headed when I game, and if it starts making me upset, it defeats the purpose of my leisure gaming time (to relax). So I walked away from a very easy mission, sure that I would be able to grab up the rest. Now, I have another very easy mission. Just start 5 fires and win a match (also stipulates 15000 fire damage, but if I start 5 fires, that's basically a given). So I ran a few games in the Des Moines, even managed to get the requisite 5 fires... but not on the single game I  managed to not be stuck on Team Potato. Ok, so maybe a lower tier game would be a bit easier, less fire prevention captains and tier fire chance reduction. I hop in my DoY and slap the fire flags on it. I landed 44 HE shells and started 2 fires in the first game. Second game didn't last very long. Why you ask? Because I squared off against a not-cursed DoY who managed to set 6 fires on me before I set a single one...

This mission is cursed. I no longer care if I get this ship because trying to get this ship is making me want to beat my head against my desk. This is absurd.

Use an RN BB T7 and up. KGV, DoY, or Nelson will get it done.

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,189 battles

You are trying to hard, just play and it will come.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,840 posts
4,849 battles

The moment you start to actively try for a win or going specifically after an objective (although there are things that are really out of the way, which would vary from player to player), you will lose harder and harder.

Stop thinking about winning and play as if you had been playing normally.

• Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
621 posts
6,344 battles

On that mission, I went 0-15.  I think it plays with your head a bit to concentrate on mission goals, but yea, 15 losses in a row was harsh.  I never did get it, though the next day, I got 3 top XPs in a row I think.  Ah well, its only 1 mission (and I'll miss another due to vacation) but hopefully I won't miss any more.

Its a long marathon and in the US, the missions are only up for 2 full days so you gotta stay on top of them.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,942 posts

Welcome to "Mission Inflicted RNG"....

I always keep one of those 'Shoot down 30 planes' Campaign missions around so I will never see a CV all day.

Unless it's like the -every-three-day- Indy one (Play a Random Mission), I stay out of Random until this is over.

Of course, once you complete it...   back to normal

[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,443 battles

Ok well since a bunch of people are convinced it's all in my head and that I'm psyching myself out etc etc etc... that would be a possibility if I were playing poorly. I'm topping the XP boards or close to it almost every game and losing. That's the team losing DESPITE me doing well, not me doing poorly causing a loss.

Edited by Shenennigans

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,752 posts
20,741 battles

Get the right ship and some tea. Everything else follows.

JUwmDan.jpg

Don't forget some Victory Gin afterwards.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,383 battles

I've found the best way to accomplish these missions is to ignore them. 

If I get so into a mission grind, then I start to not have fun in the games I play (even when I do well). 

For me, if I just play, basically disregarding the mission, I accomplish the tasks without even realizing it.
But that's just me. 

[CUTIE]
Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

The last mission (destroy 6 ships) seemed ridiculously easy to me, particularly after I got 3 kills in my first battle of the day.  Except then it took me 7 more to get the other 3 kills.  And then in my first game after completing the mission, Kraken time. :Smile_teethhappy:

I do think the mental aspect of it comes into play, but I feel the missions themselves are affecting the outcomes when it comes to tasks which require wins.  Not like some nefarious server-based juju, but because of the number of players you get teamed up with who wouldn't normally be playing at those tiers.  Because these missions must be completed either in random battles or ranked (which isn't an option anymore), I've been seeing a lot of primarily PvE players on my random battles teams lately.  Like, people with well over a thousand Co-Op battles and less than 50 PvPs.  Not knocking these people for preferring to play against bots rather than other people, but anyone who has set sail in Co-Op knows that it's a very different game where you can get away with far more...particularly in mid- to high tiers.  So when all of a sudden the only other destroyer on your team in a tier 8 battle is a fellow with 36 random battles under their belt, winning becomes much more of a challenge.

I see WarGaming's dilemma here: if they open these challenges up to Co-op battles as well, they become laughingly easy for most players to complete.  But when they restrict them to PvP only, a significant portion of their player base is either forced to leave their comfort zone or are excluded from the missions all together.  That being said, it doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult for them to include alternate PvE missions which, while they wouldn't be as challenging to complete, could at least be made more grindy (i.e., instead of win a game with 5 fires set & 15k fire damage done, set 50 fires and do 150k fire damage over any number of battles).

Edited by Harv72b

[70]
Members
1,070 posts
5,189 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

Welcome to "Mission Inflicted RNG"....

I always keep one of those 'Shoot down 30 planes' Campaign missions around so I will never see a CV all day.

Interesting exploit.

I for one keep a Bogue in port specifically for shooting-down-planes missions :P

[ARGSY]
Members
9,514 posts
6,238 battles
4 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

I for one keep a Bogue in port specifically for shooting-down-planes missions :P

I had hoped to use my Texas, but on closer reading I saw that the bar for this marathon is set at Tier VI. A shame. Right idea, wrong environment!

[70]
Members
1,070 posts
5,189 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I had hoped to use my Texas, but on closer reading I saw that the bar for this marathon is set at Tier VI. A shame. Right idea, wrong environment!

Tier VI?

Uh oh, that might actually be hard.

...Perhaps the Duke of Yuck might be usable for it? Well, if all else fails, Cleveland enough games and it'll work... eventually...

Edited by Guardian54

[ARGSY]
Members
9,514 posts
6,238 battles
1 hour ago, Viper101 said:

For me, if I just play, basically disregarding the mission, I accomplish the tasks without even realizing it.

For the most part you're right and I agree completely; some of the missions, however, have particular requirements that some players wouldn't achieve if they hadn't specifically set out to do so. For example, today's mission: anyone can tank 10 million potential damage, given enough games, but lighting 5 fires and getting 15,000 damage out of them in one battle isn't exactly something that is easily achieved in my usual choice of ship, a non-Premium British cruiser.  Nor would I ordinarily go out of my way to do this in British battleships either; I do love my UK HE, but I switch to AP a lot when dealing with BB and CL. So this weekend will be calling for a somewhat different playing style from normal.

• Cool 1

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,383 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

For the most part you're right and I agree completely; some of the missions, however, have particular requirements that some players wouldn't achieve if they hadn't specifically set out to do so. For example, today's mission: anyone can tank 10 million potential damage, given enough games, but lighting 5 fires and getting 15,000 damage out of them in one battle isn't exactly something that is easily achieved in my usual choice of ship, a non-Premium British cruiser.  Nor would I ordinarily go out of my way to do this in British battleships either; I do love my UK HE, but I switch to AP a lot when dealing with BB and CL. So this weekend will be calling for a somewhat different playing style from normal.

That's fair. 

I guess for me, since I play a lot of HE slinging ships (cruisers and DDs), it isn't as big of an adjustment. 

[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,443 battles
1 minute ago, Viper101 said:

That's fair. 

I guess for me, since I play a lot of HE slinging ships (cruisers and DDs), it isn't as big of an adjustment. 

Yeah I play mostly US and British cruisers. One doesn't have HE, the other much prefers to be using AP when possible. 5 fires is pretty rare for me to get normally. Just lucky I had the DoY and Queen Elizabeth or I might not have gotten this one.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,840 posts
4,849 battles
39 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I keep my Lexington around on a permanent basis...:Smile_teethhappy: