You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Musashi - worth paying for?

34 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
9,478 posts
6,209 battles

I looked at my XP last night, and realised that if I include the amount locked behind doubloons, I have somewhere north of 700,000.

This means that the Musashi is nearly within my grasp.

COMPLICATION: That's a LOT of doubloons to convert nearly 600,000 XP.

COMPLICATION: I sort of want the Nelson first, so add another nearly 400K on top of that.

Would you do it? Or am I better off just grinding on and getting there for free in the long run? (I should add that my highest-tier battleship right now is the Normandie; that jump from T6 to T9 would be brutal, and in the long run it may be better to grind on and wait. Who knows what Wargaming would give us in the interim, which I might enjoy more?)

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,158 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I looked at my XP last night, and realised that if I include the amount locked behind doubloons, I have somewhere north of 700,000.

COMPLICATION: I sort of want the Nelson first, so add another nearly 400K on top of that.

Would you do it? Or am I better off just grinding on and getting there for free in the long run? (I should add that my highest-tier battleship right now is the Normandie; that jump from T6 to T9 would be brutal, and in the long run it may be better to grind on and wait. Who knows what Wargaming would give us in the interim, which I might enjoy more?)

Nope, not me. I would just wait till all xp is totally there in the free pile. :cap_look:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
1,131 posts
4,987 battles

When everyone else was grinding for the Trump Wagon, I was grinding for the Nelson.  I like it quite a bit and the heal is awesome.  I am currently grinding towards either the Musa or the Kronk.

When I got the Nelson, it was my first T7 battleship.  It's got pretty favorable matchmaking.  Top tier a lot.

You can probably grind to the Nelson for minimal conversion costs.

Musa and Kronk will still be there if you still have a hankerin' for them.

CS

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,752 posts
20,714 battles

Nope since you can get the Yamato ingame. Buy a premium camo for her and you have the better Musashi.

While some say she is OP for T9, her playstyle is too passive for me. She is like a mobile fortress island.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,995 posts
10,114 battles

First of all, you should wait until there is a bonus Free XP conversion sale where you get 35 FXP instead of the regular 25 FXP per doubloon.  You'll get more mileage out of your real life money.

Secondly, do you have Yamato?  If you do, then there really isn't much point to owing Musashi, as Yamato is better at virtually everything than her sister.  The only real benefit Musashi brings over Yamato is that she is a T9 and can stomp on T7's whenever MM is feeling generous.

I have Yamato in port, so I won't waste my FXP on Yammy.

• Cool 1

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Hell no

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Battleships are not only your least played ship type but also the one in which you perform the worst at least insofar as stats are concerned. You can do what you want, but frankly I think that wasting 750k XP on a ship in a tier you haven't even played that is a type you do not excel in is wasteful at this point. You will regret the purchase within 10 games. 

As you get more experience maybe you will find a spot for a tier IX BB and it will be worth it but I think you are far from being able to make this determination. 

Edited by Gascan75
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
9,478 posts
6,209 battles

So far I'm getting exactly what I suspect I NEEDED to hear and secretly what I think I WANTED to hear; the saner counsels of better men telling me discretion and patience are indeed the wiser path.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,864 posts
10,828 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Without high tier experience I would get to tier 8 Battleships so that you can get some practice facing X ships before getting Musashi. Musashi seems to be a good ship, but you will want some high tier experience first. If you have decent tier VI exoeroence then Nelson will not be as big of a shock for you, want some YouTube vids and rad some guides on it and you should be ok,

[ARGSY]
Members
9,478 posts
6,209 battles
12 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

decent tier VI exoeroence

You have failed me for the last time, Autocorrect. :Smile_teethhappy:

I have practice facing Tier X ships in my Tier VIII cruisers, but it's not the same thing. As with the others, your advice to hold off is well considered and, frankly, welcomed.

Beta Testers
73 posts
2,535 battles

Yea, 

As others have said, wait till you get a little higher in tiers. The difference between tier 6-7 and 8+ is huge. I am still having problems with my few tier 8s. The gameplay is very different and you will get punished without mercy for making a mistake when grouped with 9s and 10s. 

Take your time and learn the game. That's what I did. DDs were killing me without remorse in my NC, so I went back down and ground a few DD lines to learn their strengths and weaknesses. I am finding much more success at higher tiers now but I am still not where I want to be.

Don't be the guy that gets a prem high tier ship and bombs in it and screws over your team. 

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles

To be honest Missouri wasn’t worth paying full price. I grinded out about half the free xp then paid for the other half. It’s really not much better than Alabama at credit earning. I wouldn’t change that. Also I will do that for any other free XP ship I want.

Edited by GreyFox78659
  • Bad 2

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,020 posts
14,572 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Keep your doubloons for when ships go on sale, or when the free xp conversion is on. the Musashi playstyle is very boring imo as it has no real secondary's, no AA fat citadel, slow ….you get the picture, put yourself next to an island and this is the Musashi:

See the source image

[MWM]
Supertester
1,810 posts
5,485 battles
48 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

To be honest Missouri wasn’t worth paying full price. I grinded out about half the free xp then paid for the other half. It’s really not much better than Alabama at credit earning. I wouldn’t change that. Also I will do that for any other free XP ship I want.

Given how the ship handles and its guns perform?  The MO is absolutely worth it.  One of the better ships in the game let alone premium ship.

Only reason I can see to get the mush is that its I think the oldest ship added to the tree for free exp (of the kind that are not permanent tree additions).  So when one gets pulled itll get pulled first.

Edited by Skraeling

[ARGSY]
Members
9,478 posts
6,209 battles
8 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

put yourself next to an island and this is the Musashi:

That looks like my children's pet toad! You should see the way it nails mealworms. Shuffle, shuffle, BLAP. Gone. Rinse and repeat. Four down in ten seconds. Wish I could sink ships that fast!

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
23 minutes ago, Skraeling said:

Given how the ship handles and its guns perform?  The MO is absolutely worth it.  One of the better ships in the game let alone premium ship.

Only reason I can see to get the mush is that its I think the oldest ship added to the tree for free exp.  So when one gets pulled itll get pulled first.

Not saying it is bad it’s my favorite BB just saying it wasn’t worth 130 dollars. It was worth 65 dollars.

[MWM]
Supertester
1,810 posts
5,485 battles
9 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Not saying it is bad it’s my favorite BB just saying it wasn’t worth 130 dollars. It was worth 65 dollars.

No ship in this game is worth 130.  Though... for a kitakami id probably spend it...

ok ALMOST no ship in this game is worth 130.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,412 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Or just skip the Musashi.   I have some buyers remorse with it.

[ARGSY]
Members
9,478 posts
6,209 battles
6 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I have some buyers remorse with it.

Connected with what, in particular?

I have to admit, the only reason for me to want it is historical: it is the Yamato-class A hull, before they decided/realised IRL that a stupendous AA buff was needed.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,412 posts
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Connected with what, in particular?

I have to admit, the only reason for me to want it is historical: it is the Yamato-class A hull, before they decided/realised IRL that a stupendous AA buff was needed.

It’s really boring to play.  I’m an aggressive BB player.  But Musashi severely punished any approach but hang near the back and pretend you’re an island fortress.

I’ve tried many times.  Every once in a while you’ll get lucky.   But your most consistently successful strategy is to be dull dull dull.  I’d sell you my Mushashi if they’d let me.

Skip it.  Get Kronstadt instead.  She’s fantastic.

[ARGSY]
Members
9,478 posts
6,209 battles
5 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

It’s really boring to play.  I’m an aggressive BB player.  But Musashi severely punished any approach but hang near the back and pretend you’re an island fortress.

My battleship play consists of too often stepping over that fine line separating aggressive pushing from suicidal recklessness, so yeah, maybe this is not the best ship for me. :Smile_honoring:

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,410 posts
14,366 battles

If you absolutely positively must experience what it's like to smash T7 ships with 18 inch shells...Musashi is the only way to get that experience.  She is a slow cumbersome beast of a ship....just like the Yamato.  Personally, I'd recommend waiting until you unlock Yamato and get experience with Yamato (both for the skill set and to determine if you like that style of play).  If you get the experience, and like the style, get Musashi.

As for XP.  Wait for doubloons to go on sale, and bank some.  Then wait for an XP conversion to go on sale, and use those doubloons to convert the XP.  You basically get a double discount this way.  Nice thing, is you don't need to hurry. 

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
9,478 posts
6,209 battles
5 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Wait for doubloons to go on sale, and bank some.  Then wait for an XP conversion to go on sale, and use those doubloons to convert the XP.  You basically get a double discount this way. 

Something to bear in mind for any purpose. The rest of your post is also very good advice. Right now I have NO Japanese battleships, and until this Indianapolis Marathon is done I'm not intending to climb any new ship lines.