You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Cherry Blossom Operation

34 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
8,867 posts
10,828 battles

Not entirely happy about being restricted to USN, UK, French, or soviet Soviet tier 8 cruisers for the new operation since I prefer IJN or KM cruisers or else using other classes of ships. So question is what ship would be best for having to carry a team possibly in that Op? And there had better be Doubloons or something like that for the reward lol.

Could it be possible for me to use the IJN side instead? Lol

• Angry 1

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
294 posts
12,530 battles

From the Test mission,  smoke doesn't look like a good option.  I speak in context to having only the Edinburgh on the live server.    Maybe.. the last 5mins of the scenario when attacking their positions, it'll be a little useful.

So when it officially launches,  might just take smoke off Edin for the first time.(you'll get torp soups every so often)

But to your question,  maybe Chappy?  I don't know its RoF,  but I assume it has laser beam arcs like other cruisers in that tree.    Lots of groups of DDs to shoot at.  Quite a few engagements with Japan cruisers, at 12-15km range.  (I only used French ship and did okay,  but a lot of the AI cruisers were sailing straight with very little manoeuvering. Maybe the AI is not tuned yet??).

I'm not putting much stock in to what I've seen.  Will definitely try it again if it gets updated in the next Test session.   

[RKLES]
Members
8,867 posts
10,828 battles

I am dreading the idea of not having a lot of choices in that Op, because Hermès I have only really used Richelieu in order to be successful even if our cruisers get melted. So based on my experiences in that operation and what happens to the CAs far too often... You can see why I would have concerns about an allied CA only Operation.

Community Department
2,508 posts
674 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Not entirely happy about being restricted to USN, UK, French, or soviet Soviet tier 8 cruisers for the new operation since I prefer IJN or KM cruisers or else using other classes of ships. So question is what ship would be best for having to carry a team possibly in that Op? And there had better be Doubloons or something like that for the reward lol.

Could it be possible for me to use the IJN side instead? Lol

We haven't had the possibility to play for an apposite side in operations yet. As for now we have no such plans, but who knows.

In "Hermes" there are doubloons as a reward. On the test we have doubloons too. But it's only a test nevertheless. 
I used to play Edinburb. Hydroacoustic Search and Smoke Generator could be very useful in the middle and in the end of the Operation. 

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
294 posts
12,530 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I am dreading the idea of not having a lot of choices in that Op, because Hermès I have only really used Richelieu in order to be successful even if our cruisers get melted. So based on my experiences in that operation and what happens to the CAs far too often... You can see why I would have concerns about an allied CA only Operation.

They probably are expecting a lot of USN cruisers in there with the line split.(could they be balancing it around that?..)

15 minutes ago, turbo07 said:

We haven't had the possibility to play for an apposite side in operations yet. As for now we have no such plans, but who knows.

In "Hermes" there are doubloons as a reward. On the test we have doubloons too. But it's only a test nevertheless. 
I used to play Edinburb. Hydroacoustic Search and Smoke Generator could be very useful in the middle and in the end of the Operation. 

Hmm,  so far French and "I've heard USN cruiser AP can not damage the Aerodrome".    

What does that mean for the Edinburgh?  I haven't tried her yet, cause I wanted to try other nations first.(will be working all weekend, so won't be testing for a while.)

-if somehow you have several Edin's that survive and the HE cruisers don't...  It would be impossible to complete?   Hope someone is testing that part. 

[RKLES]
Members
8,867 posts
10,828 battles
12 minutes ago, PtooieBoat said:

They probably are expecting a lot of USN cruisers in there with the line split.(could they be balancing it around that?..)

Hmm,  so far French and "I've heard USN cruiser AP can not damage the Aerodrome".    

What does that mean for the Edinburgh?  I haven't tried her yet, cause I wanted to try other nations first.(will be working all weekend, so won't be testing for a while.)

-if somehow you have several Edin's that survive and the HE cruisers don't...  It would be impossible to complete?   Hope someone is testing that part. 

I hope they are testing what happens when you have 1-2 adults and rest of the team is ages 4-10 if the Op can get completed. Otherwise may finally have to get a team assembled to complete the Op since with all cruisers and limited to Allied Cruisers at that, only other Op so restricted is Hermes and cruisers in normal random operation teams usually get melted so easily.

All I have to say is the rewards for this Operation had better be exceptionally good or else it might not be worth the stress of doing such an op... :Smile_teethhappy: Lol was not entirely sure about even trying Hermes Op until I say how many Doubloons it was worth and then I dove right in.

( Now are we sure I can’t throw an Allied Flag on my Mogami or something? I even have Stars and Stripes camo, Lol we could just sneak it in... Or I have some BBs that are fast like cruisers and one of my BBs even has radar...) JK

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[4HIM]
Members
2,174 posts
6,156 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Not entirely happy about being restricted to USN, UK, French, or soviet Soviet tier 8 cruisers for the new operation

I'm not a big fan of these Ops with such restrictive ship eligibility either.  One of the things I dislike about Hermes.  This one seems more of the same. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,752 posts
20,741 battles

I did it at the PTS with 5 stars.

The mission is quite hard and there will be lots of salt.

Best ships? Cleveland, Baltimore, Chap (radar for the first part plus fast reload) or the Charles Martel because of the speed. Any static ship hidding in smoke may leads to a loss.

[RKLES]
Members
8,867 posts
10,828 battles
1 minute ago, Erebthoron said:

Best ships? Cleveland, Baltimore, Chap (radar for the first part plus fast reload) or the Charles Martel because of the speed. Any static ship hidding in smoke may leads to a loss.

Is the Op just guarding that bay?

Community Department
2,508 posts
674 battles
2 hours ago, PtooieBoat said:

Round 1 ends: Tue. Jun. 12 6:00 AM PT
Everything is ok. I've completed it with 4 stars already on Edinburg:NWJbYDyKvPs.jpg

2 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Hidding could cause the time loss, and there wouldn't be enough time to finish the Operation. Even Radar could be more usefull. 5dFE7mbyJJA.jpg

I've used smoke only once to hide from AC torps. 

[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,596 battles

Honestly I am enjoying the idea of ops limited by nation.  It sort of satisfies the calls for historical realism nation vs nation ideas, while allowing randoms to still be the interesting dynamic mix that they are.

Granted this means that those without ships of a nation/tier/class required for the mission can't play it, however that is the cost of specializing I suppose.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
9,755 posts
27,643 battles
16 hours ago, SyndicatedINC said:

Honestly I am enjoying the idea of ops limited by nation.  It sort of satisfies the calls for historical realism nation vs nation ideas, while allowing randoms to still be the interesting dynamic mix that they are.

Granted this means that those without ships of a nation/tier/class required for the mission can't play it, however that is the cost of specializing I suppose.

I like that idea too. It prevents  you from bringing 'the perfect ship' and instead forces you to adapt to the situation at hand with what you have in port.

As for Thrawn's question, I took Baltimore. The 10s reload and its AP wrecked. I AA spec'd it, which turned out to be useful. Definitely keeping that ship for this Op. Cleveland might be good to set the world on fire. 

I don't think Edinburgh will be that useful because you cant really smoke until the end, though the sonar is useful throughout the Operation.

Very pleased with that operation. The night is kinda fakey but i didn't expect real darkness. It looks like the first  iteration of Ultimate Frontier, you can win, but you can also easily fail.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,646 posts
8,301 battles

one of my problems with that operation is the CV's fighters dont help with the planes from the base once the players get to them, they just stay hovering around the CVs the whole time, also the CVs need HE bombs, because those AP bombs dont do jack against those cruisers and DDs, and it feels like the 2 Myokos spawn way too close to the Marine bases and have more than enough time to destroy one of them before the team can get into a decent firing range instead of having to try to snipe them from max range, and im pretty sure we ALL know how many torpedoes are in this operation

Edited by tcbaker777

[LUCK]
Members
1,641 posts
22,522 battles
1 hour ago, PtooieBoat said:

Baltimore AP damages most everything, try that.

[TDRB]
Members
2,270 posts
6,947 battles

I only have USN T8 cruisers so the restriction will not effect me but I can understand why one would be unhappy the German & IJN cruisers are not included. You grind the tree or pay for a ship then you can't use it, not good. I plan to try all the other eligible cruisers.

As far as the operation, I played it twice so far. The 2nd time was much better, need to play a few more.

[ARGSY]
Members
9,514 posts
6,238 battles
1 hour ago, killsbane67 said:

And why are Russian ships allowed in this operation?? 

WW2 Allies.

Members
384 posts
6,683 battles
1 hour ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Baltimore AP damages most everything, try that.

I watched a guy in a Baltimore AND a Edinburgh shooting the NE aerodrome with AP and not causing any damage to it. Not sure if this is a bug, intentional, etc. The Edinburgh resorted to getting close enough to use his secondaries on it.  After 4 runs, I found the Chappy with it's longer range radar  and guns, was a huge help early on. Later it really seemed like you need the speed of the Charles Martel.  Cleveland and Baltimore both did well, but the Edinburgh really suffers if you play it traditionally.  There is not enough time, and too much moving around, to be able to pop smoke and shoot stuff. Plus, as with many operations, the AI really loves to focus fire on the ships with the lowest health,  which means the Edinburgh gets focus fired, right out of the gate. Mine was constantly on fire the one run I did.

I also agree with many others, saying the Myoko's spawn too close to the Marine groups and that the CV dive bombers and fighters are nearly useless much of the time.

Edited by Valas1

Members
575 posts
4,820 battles
3 hours ago, turbo07 said:

That's sounds like a job for the Kutuzov to me...

2 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Maybe not then...Cleveland it is...

Community Department
2,508 posts
674 battles
14 minutes ago, Valas1 said:

I watched a guy in a Baltimore AND a Edinburgh shooting the NE aerodrome with AP and not causing any damage to it. Not sure if this is a bug, intentional, etc. The Edinburgh resorted to getting close enough to use his secondaries on it.  After 4 runs, I found the Chappy with it's longer range radar  and guns, was a huge help early on. Later it really seemed like you need the speed of the Charles Martel.  Cleveland and Baltimore both did well, but the Edinburgh really suffers if you play it traditionally.  There is not enough time, and too much moving around, to be able to pop smoke and shoot stuff. Plus, as with many operations, the AI really loves to focus fire on the ships with the lowest health,  which means the Edinburgh gets focus fired, right out of the gate. Mine was constantly on fire the one run I did.

I also agree with many others, saying the Myoko's spawn too close to the Marine groups and that the CV dive bombers and fighters are nearly useless much of the time.

Maybe they were shooting not in building, because in my screenshot I've made 62k damage to the aerodrome on my Edinburg:

NWJbYDyKvPs.jpg

Members
384 posts
6,683 battles
Just now, turbo07 said:

Maybe they were shooting not in building, because in my screenshot I've taken 62k damage from the aerodrome on my Edinburg:

NWJbYDyKvPs.jpg

It's possible.  I never lived long enough in my Edinburgh to reach them, but I found it really weird watching those guys fire over and over and not cause damage. I do recall the Baltimore appeared to be shooting the airfield and not the actual structures. Many of his shells were striking on the NE corner of the airfield.

• Cool 1

Community Department
2,508 posts
674 battles
1 minute ago, Valas1 said:

It's possible.  I never lived long enough in my Edinburgh to reach them, but I found it really weird watching those guys fire over and over and not cause damage. I do recall the Baltimore appeared to be shooting the airfield and not the actual structures. Many of his shells were striking on the NE corner of the airfield.

It's possible to destroy aerodroms if you come neare. From the max.distance I had the same 0 damage. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,184 posts
3,895 battles

In my gaming circle, a Perfect Cherry Blossom means something else

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
294 posts
12,530 battles
4 hours ago, turbo07 said:

It's possible to destroy aerodroms if you come neare. From the max.distance I had the same 0 damage. 

Thank you for getting more information.   So there is risk by having you get much closer to the bases and the enemy ships.  And planning and awareness because you need to get there in time.  (don't sit in the repair area the whole time.)

I was thinking it might've been a skill shot requirement with AP shells.  But it might feel easier to sling HE and do some damage every salvo.  Especially if you are under fire and constantly moving around to avoid torp walls.