DracosTalon

Why shells fly wide when ship disappears

14 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
Members
28 posts
5,701 battles

Me and friends are wondering why our shells fly wide when ship disappears. Makes no sense ! When a bullet is fired from a gun it dose NOT matter if the target is there or not. The bullet will still end up hitting in the place where it was aimed. These are not guided rockets that loose track of there target and fly away ! It is a matter of physics and logic. 

Edited by DracosTalon
mis spells
  • Cool 1

Members
155 posts
3,106 battles
2 minutes ago, DracosTalon said:

Me and friends are wondering why our shells fly wide when ship disappears. Makes no sense ! When a bullet is fired from a gun it dose NOT matter if the target is there or not. The bullet will still end up hitting in the place where it was aimed. These are not guided rockets that loose track of there target and fly away ! It is a matter of physics and logic. 

"my friends and I"  I seem to have the same problem cept when im by an island it looks like the shell doesn't hit it but the shell can land on the target but not produce any damge 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

Its a wonky thing that probably has to do with the way they exponentially assist you in vertical dispersion when targeting a ship.

Happens to me everytime a new enemy pops up as I’m about to shoot the one I am locked on to. It swihes me to the new guy, thus screwing my shot that I already just fired.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,864 posts
10,828 battles

Wargaming games can do some interesting things with the aim and the trick is to recognize what happens and ways to compensate or adapt.

WOT Blitz for example the auto aim if you had it active and tanks were quickly circling you, the camera could glitch and spin like you got caught in a tornado. Never was a problem again once I switch off auto aim and only used manual aim.

WoWs is little trickier since you have to work with auto aim as a necessity due to things like terrain, distance, dispersion, ect. But one thing that might help is learning what ranges work better for firing, and using X key to select the desired target or reselect the desired target.

Another trick that might sound little crazy is use a heavier mouse, I have a mouse that has wireless range of 50’ or so that can be used for business presentations or to play chess while relaxing on counch across the room from my iMac lol. But because the mouse can do that, it also needed to weigh more than a mouse normally would because of the hardware and I found the added bonus is the fact it is much harder to overcompensate your aim. Very small aiming adjustments of even a millimeter of movement to get my next salvo on target is easier to me. Probably why I have seen a gaming mouse with option to increase or decrease  the weight of the mouse before, since really helps I have found.

[PSV]
Members
159 posts
11,859 battles

Target lock reduces vertical dispersion. Shooting without target lock is an acquired skill. Shooting blind is valid but you normally need some kind of position marker to aim your shot vertically, for example islands or smoke screen outlines. Target lock lasts on a ship for 4 seconds once it goes undetected so it is possible for you to get the volley off in that time and gain the benefits of guns moving relative to enemy ship speed and vertical dispersion lock. After that its as if you were aiming at the water.

[PVE]
Members
1,693 posts
7,261 battles

Yep, should not happen, once it is fired, it should not matter whether the targeted ship is visible or not, the shell path should remain the same.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,960 posts
9,268 battles

You have to remember that locked on or not - the shells are essentially being fired in a circular/oval area around the ship to start with. Being locked on lowers the vertical end, but even if your locked on as you pull the trigger and it vanishes mid flight - last check it doesn't change, you simply hit it, have bad RNG, or don't see the ship maneuver to dodge by the time they get there. Never had an issue hitting a target that vanishes as the guns fire. However, if it vanishes then you fire, yeah, you lose the vertical dispersion bonus and then it's a bit more RNG the same as in reality of "We saw him going that way so just cover the area". Shells aren't actually changing flight characteristics as they head o the ship. It's just dispersion and a bit or RNG.

Also, if you want to bring up physics and logic - The noted difference aside of "we see the target" vs "we know where he was 2 seconds ago" - The ranges some of these ships are shooting at is beyond even their view of the horizon in reality, or at the very edge of it, so they would be seeing little, if anything, and bombarding an area, shooting at that range gets into some pretty damn insane calculations and factors like curve, and if a long enough flight time the rotation, of the earth. Not to mention some of these ships, especially BB's, the firing shakes/moves the entire ship, let alone the turret which can change the other barrels alignment as they fire ever so slightly which, at 25 km becomes a much bigger difference. 

• Boring 1

[ICOP]
Members
28 posts
5,701 battles

Ok i am surprised that vary few people understand what i am saying. I lock target but with the Concealment mod and Concealment capt skill they disappear. When they disappear our shells fly all over the place.  I am not new to wows and know the difference between locked and unlocked X.  I do not know why "my friends and i" see this and  you do not. So please stop being sarcastic and demeaning if that is your intension.  We believe it has something to do with concealment. And if i have target locked and my shells are on the way it should not matter if target disappears before my shells get there.  The only way that would matter is if my shell could lose track of the target. And that is not possible in the real world unless i was firing a modern missile and the guidance system freaked out and lost lock.  And I am not talking about blind firing!

Edited by DracosTalon
add info

[ICOP]
Members
28 posts
5,701 battles
18 hours ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Its a wonky thing that probably has to do with the way they exponentially assist you in vertical dispersion when targeting a ship.

Happens to me everytime a new enemy pops up as I’m about to shoot the one I am locked on to. It swihes me to the new guy, thus screwing my shot that I already just fired.

I understand what you are talking about.And yes it happens to me too. But that is not what i am talking about . 

[PVE]
Members
1,693 posts
7,261 battles

OP is correct, if the items we fire were brought to target through some sort of a guidance system or laser, then yes, if those items failed during shell flight, then they would either just fall or disperse all over the place...what we supposedly shoot in this game amounts to nothing more than dumb shells, once the trigger is pulled and the shell is on its way it does not matter whether a target is visible or not, the shells should remain true on the targeted spot or last aimed until impact of that area, target, spot..

Its really no different than aiming at an open area of ocean in game and firing at it, there is no actual enemy target visible or sighted, yet, guaranteed your fired shells at that empty ocean are going to impact where you aimed. So, sighting on an enemy ship in game, firing at it, shells should still impact the last aimed spot, visible enemy ship or not.

• Cool 2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
6 posts
2,237 battles

I play on WoWS almost every evening with Draco...also...even though we have never actually met, we have voice chatted and video called one another quite a lot. The reason this is the case is I have known him for almost 20 years. We have played many games across a wide variety of platforms, but mainly Xbox and PC. We both began to notice this about 2 weeks ago ( maybe something in a recent patch? ). Being as I have been an avid hunter and shooter ALL my life, the physics and logic he speaks of CANNOT be denied. If I aim at a target, and then you hide that target behind a black piece of poster board, my shell WILL NOT hit the target one lane over from me. My shell, once it leaves my gun, will follow the path I have designated for it to follow AND STILL HIT MY TARGET after going through the black poster paper. This is not a subject to say " get gud " or " cuz Wargaming". This is actual simple science and logic, and needs to be rectified.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles
20 hours ago, DracosTalon said:

I understand what you are talking about.And yes it happens to me too. But that is not what i am talking about . 

It's similar, that's all I am saying.

20 hours ago, DracosTalon said:

Ok i am surprised that vary few people understand what i am saying. I lock target but with the Concealment mod and Concealment capt skill they disappear. When they disappear our shells fly all over the place.  I am not new to wows and know the difference between locked and unlocked X.  I do not know why "my friends and i" see this and  you do not. So please stop being sarcastic and demeaning if that is your intension.  We believe it has something to do with concealment. And if i have target locked and my shells are on the way it should not matter if target disappears before my shells get there.  The only way that would matter is if my shell could lose track of the target. And that is not possible in the real world unless i was firing a modern missile and the guidance system freaked out and lost lock.  And I am not talking about blind firing!

Nobody is deriding you, brother. They're legitimately trying to discuss what might be causing your issue. And, the concealment might actually be the thing affecting you. You can't take real world physics into account in Wargaming games, because they're making arcade style games.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
Members
28 posts
5,701 battles
3 hours ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

It's similar, that's all I am saying.

Nobody is deriding you, brother. They're legitimately trying to discuss what might be causing your issue. And, the concealment might actually be the thing affecting you. You can't take real world physics into account in Wargaming games, because they're making arcade style games.

Ok Thank You for your time and understanding. Last night we were seeing it again and again. . . . ......

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,960 posts
9,268 battles
On 6/8/2018 at 7:05 PM, DracosTalon said:

It's not my intent, I admittedly unless I'm at work, suck with people and if I came across as such, I apologize.

But I haven't ever seen what your talking about. I added visual mods to help me see better recently (I cant discern some shades of colour near each other - case in point I can basically only read chat if it's all chat or near an island) and I've seen nothing that goes along any possible variation of this. I have them locked, the shells fire, I can trace where they go and it's a consistent path. I fire unlocked/blind, it's the same thing. I fire as they are locked but vanish as the guns are firing, rounds go where they were going to go.

But then again, maybe it's something I'm just not gonna be able to see because I'm the guy that has had an Arizona Dialed in and hit a Bismarck with a citadel that never changed course and using the same lead and range had 3 salvo's straddle it in a row with maybe a super structure over pen. Manual drop Saipan DB's right along the deck of a CV as if they were landing/taking off and scored no hits even though it was AFK. Maybe I'm just used to shells that should maybe be hitting not cause dispersion trolls the hell outta me.