You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

Steel/Coal Has to be Available for Players Without Clans/Ranked

59 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,401 battles

Judging by the PTS, not only performance flags are buyable with new resources, so are special modules.

This is a horrific implementation. Performance flags alone gives a % boost, a straight up % boost to ship's stats, thus, everything else being equal, the ship with the flags WILL ALWAYS WIN. Then on top of that, you have special module, which further enhances a ship's performance.

Do not force the vast majority of your player base to play in a clan. If Arsenal has to sell those things, make it sell a version that's only usable in clan wars/scenario/PvE.

Edit: In philosophy, the idea of selling anything that boosts performance in a currency other than the most common ( like premium consumable and credits), is horrific game design. Even premium consumables can be argued "pay to win" in certain regards, but because they can be purchased by the most common currency, silver/credits, they barely exempt from the "pay to win" category. Forcing player base to participate in battle mods they normally have no interest in will only breed resentment. Sure, WG"s marketing department might see a correlation between competitive mode/clan battle and % players paying money, that doesn't mean the game should have something that disadvantages people, the majority of the player base, that choose not to participate those modes. If WG implement the Arsenal as it is, there will be negative effects. 

Furthermore, people who do actively participate in clan wars/ranked, should have the complete understanding (and without delusion) that they are the small minority, and without the other players they will not have a game to play. It is in everyone's interest to not let Arsenal be the way it is. Make things purchasable from Arsenal restricted to clan wars/ranked/PvE only. Leave Random battle as it is.

Edit 2:

Image result for the point and you

This is not about "i wanna free stuff but don't want to earn it". How you come to that conclusion is beyond my understanding.

This is about, since the vast majority of the player base neither participates in Clan Battles nor Ranked. The new currency should either be only allowed to buy special consumables to use in Clan/Ranked battle, or there should be a way to earn the new currency without the need to participate. Since the flags and special modules drastically improves a ship's performance. By allowing small group of people able to obtain and use them consistently it'll create an inbalance in the over all player pool. It will breed resentment. And resentment will drive people away. 

Resources earning rate, if able, for people choose only to participate in Random should be on par with individual rate in clan/ranked. Otherwise, not only it'll breed resentment in vast majority of the player base. It will also kill those semi competitive clans, you know the kind that want to to clan wars but not good enough and always end up at the bottom. Neither group are likely to stay with the game for long. There is a valid reason, for example, Blizzard, to make things in WoW accessible to everyone, because it helps with player retention. WoWS's economy is already quite brutal, making things worse will obviously not be of help. Even WG, without any advice from any consultants, can see their own numbers. The viewership of their "esport scene" is pathetic. Again, Kripparian's daily salty Hearthstone streams have MORE VIEWERS THAN THE ENTIRE WOWS + WOT COMBINED. Catering to the small minority of hardcores NEVER worked in any multiplayer games.  Let the competitives have their competitive consumables, but keep that separate from the main player pool - or let everyone earn it at the same rate regardless of participation rate.

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 11
  • Bad 16

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
755 posts
6,487 battles

There will be other options as stated. Ranked battles, missions, etc or from crates as a chance. 

CBs are just another avenue to earn them, but it won't be the only one!

[SQUAD]
Members
7,936 posts
8,339 battles
11 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Judging by the PTS, not only performance flags are buyable with new resources, so are special modules.

This is a horrific implementation. Performance flags alone gives a % boost, a straight up % boost to ship's stats, thus, everything else being equal, the ship with the flags WILL ALWAYS WIN. Then on top of that, you have special module, which further enhances a ship's performance.

Do not force the vast majority of your player base to play in a clan. If Arsenal has to sell those things, make it sell a version that's only usable in clan wars/scenario/PvE.

I'll be more than happy to face you without flags, camo, and premium consumables, in the same ship as you have, with yours fully outfitted. We can go against each other this way 10 times. I guarantee you I win at least 1, just based on the laws of probability. I know for a fact that as long as the game doesn't crash, I'll win more than 1. Skill matters.

Do combat flags give a bonus? Yes. Do players know how to effectively use the bonus they get? Usually, no. Do special modules give a bonus? Yes. Do most players know how to effectively use the bonus they get? Generally, no. Skill matters.

"Do not force", no-one is being forced to do anything. Consider this: To play the game, one must first launch it. No-one's being forced to play, however, should you choose to do so, you kinda have to jump through the hoops needed to do it. This is the same thing, if you want certain things, you have to do the certain things needed to gain those things you want. However, in this case, you can also get these things outside of a clan, by playing certain modes.

Edited by Th3KrimzonD3mon
  • Cool 3

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
14 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

It's pretty easy to avoid, join a clan, make friends, it is a social game after all.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,401 battles
3 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I'll be more than happy to face you without flags, camo, and premium consumables, in the same ship as you have, with yours fully outfitted. We can go against each other this way 10 times. I guarantee you I win at least 1, just based on the laws of probability. I know for a fact that as long as the game doesn't crash, I'll win more than 1. Skill matters.

Do combat flags give a bonus? Yes. Do players know how to effectively use the bonus they get? Usually, no. Do special modules give a bonus? Yes. Do most players know how to effectively use the bonus they get? Generally, no. Skill matters.

"Do not force", no-one is being forced to do anything. Consider this: To play the game, one must first launch it. No-one's being forced to play, however, should you choose to do so, you kinda have to jump through the hoops needed to do it. This is the same thing, if you want certain things, you have to do the certain things needed to gain those things you want. However, in this case, you can also get these things outside of a clan, by playing certain modes.

what part of "everything else being" equal do people not understand?

7 minutes ago, _greifer said:

There will be other options as stated. Ranked battles, missions, etc or from crates as a chance. 

CBs are just another avenue to earn them, but it won't be the only one!

If the resources can be earned outside clans, restricting it to Ranked is just as bad. WoWS just like all other multiplayer games, people playing "competitive" mode is the minority, a very small minority at that. If WG then mix that small minority with equipments that give them a distinct advantage with the rest. The game will suffer, the player base will suffer, and with that suffering people will start to leave.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[TBW]
Members
7,229 posts
13,353 battles

I use my signals in operations for the most part. Good credits, captains points and free XP there.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,725 posts
9,466 battles

Coal is going to be available for doing things like oil is that’s going to be what you use for the flags and camo etc. Steel is only going to available in ranked CB and Super containers.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
259 posts
17,351 battles

There are clans that exist solely to farm resources, you know.  

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

It's pretty easy to avoid, join a clan, make friends, it is a social game after all.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,914 battles

As i understand it (from the dev discussions and interviews), one is to be given for battles of any type, and one only available for competitive.

The rescource for competitive was explained to be a means to achieve the same rewards one could recieve by completing clan and ranked battles. Instead of 5 number one places to get a black you would earn the equivelent of the resource for each star that one might have to in order to achieve that rank 1. It was explained as the fact that not everyone has a chance to receive those competitive rewards even though some have played an equal number of battles.

Edited by c3shooter

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,914 battles

This was supposed to be for the players that cant participate with a top ranked clan, or dedicate the hours necessary to reach rank 1, in the time required.

So technically, this is them trying to eliminate pay 2 win accusations, but for some i guess WG cant do anything right.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
144 posts
9,856 battles
6 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

This was supposed to be for the players that cant participate with a top ranked clan, or dedicate the hours necessary to reach rank 1, in the time required.

So technically, this is them trying to eliminate pay 2 win accusations, but for some i guess WG cant do anything right.

well, not that WG do something wrong, it just player as Carefree said

43 minutes ago, CarefreeTongue said:

TLDR: "I want bonuses even though I did not participate."

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@CLUCH_CARGO will tell you how much fun it is to play with friends like the mighty Belthorian hehehehehe

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
5,180 posts
5,424 battles
3 hours ago, Belthorian said:

It is? I must have missed the boat on that one. I can't remember the last time I wasn't flying solo.

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
1,368 posts
16,873 battles
5 hours ago, NeutralState said:

Edit: In philosophy, the idea of selling anything that boosts performance in a currency other than the most common ( like premium consumable and credits), is horrific game design. Even premium consumables can be argued "pay to win" in certain regards, but because they can be purchased by the most common currency, silver/credits, they barely exempt from the "pay to win" category. Forcing player base to participate in battle mods they normally have no interest in will only breed resentment. Sure, WG"s marketing department might see a correlation between competitive mode/clan battle and % players paying money, that doesn't mean the game should have something that disadvantages people, the majority of the player base, that choose not to participate those modes. If WG implement the Arsenal as it is, there will be negative effects. 

Furthermore, people who do actively participate in clan wars/ranked, should have the complete understanding (and without delusion) that they are the small minority, and without the other players they will not have a game to play. It is in everyone's interest to not let Arsenal be the way it is. Make things purchasable from Arsenal restricted to clan wars/ranked/PvE only. Leave Random battle as it is.

While agree with the things you said in your post there are also  other reasons why this is such a ridiculous idea to implement, I wrote a post about this not that long ago on this subject so I will submit it here also

Ok well like most people have written its to early to speculate on whats going to happen however from what I have heard from these 2 DEVs I do have some views on there early ideas.

New currency:

So there going to bring in a some new currencies  " WHY " I thought oil was suppose to be the new currency that was going to be the used by players, we only just got this new currency just over year ago I think and they want to bring more not only that we have your regular currency and FREE XP and doubloons,  we have enough currency in game now we don't want system over load or am I missing something :Smile_amazed:

Rare ships:

On the face of it sounds great until your one of those players who put there heart soul into Rank and clan battles to win these ships, as much as I think Stalingrad is a OP monstrosity that should not be in game, fairs fair these players earned the right to have these rare ships and to have someone just grind away like some mindless zombie so he can earn enough to buy these prize ships.

I know I would be pi$$ed if I won this kind of ship and then 6 months down the track the live server is littered with prize ships like mine being played by players who are not skilled enough to sail but can grind 24/7  in random and earn it through just doing the basics.

What if they put the Arkansas Beta up for grabs in this new plan or the Nicolai or the Kamikaze R, the whole point of these rare ship are for players that win special events.

People complain enough on the forum about how it is so easy for unskilled players to purchase high tier ships in the premium shop and now they seem to want sell rare prize ships in game now as well. :Smile_ohmy:

High tier shop:

OK so our cargo ship will become a high tier shop as well not a bad idea on the face of it but something tells me there is more to this because there talking about this for high tier gamers.

Lets at the basics we can buy premium ships in game that are in the tech trees of various nations nice, these ships remain there for sometime but do get rotated so if you miss them you may have to wait a while to get another chance all fine.

We have premium shop that sell various things from flags to doubloons to ships and other things.

For the sales of ships they have several that available long periods but also get rotated and you then have your new releases that are in shop for a short time makes people snap them up before there gone and you have to wait for a later date to try to get them.

Not only that we have special premium ships that you buy that available through the use of your FREE XP, not only that we have premium ships that can either be bought or obtained through events ( DOY, Graf Spee  etc. etc.  ).    

So now they now want a add another avenue of purchasing which involves you grinding away until you become possible a mindless zombie while dangling rare trinkets that you really should not be getting because didn't put in the hard yards at various competitions, not only that people's desire for these rare ships may actually have people free XPing  past a number of tiers and into the high tier ships which they should not be really doing as there are not skilled enough to play them just so as they can grind themselves in system overload, have a look at the forums these days people post in our there getting burnt out and need a rest just doing all the events and rank etc. and now they want to throw more fuel onto the flames.

But I digress its just my view of what I have heard on a video from the DEVs of a new project in its early days with no real concrete information, nothing to worry really.

One last thing that strikes me about this new future system for high tier players not trying to be a alarmist but this could be used as a prelude for a back door approach to dare I say it Premium shells just food for thought.

regards

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
309 posts

I thought WG was pretty damn clear about the new currencies.

Steel is going to be the new "competitive" currency for buying the new "competitive" ships, while coal was going to be the new general currency.

You can only earn steel in ranked/clans, but then again, it's only used to buy ranked/clans rewards.

Yet here's people pretending coal is competitive only, or any random player will be able to farm randoms for steel.

[RIPCV]
Members
140 posts
658 battles
3 minutes ago, intixw said:

Steel is going to be the new "competitive" currency for buying the new "competitive" ships, while coal was going to be the new general currency.

You can only earn steel in ranked/clans, but then again, it's only used to buy ranked/clans rewards.

Yet here's people pretending coal is competitive only, or any random player will be able to farm randoms for steel.

But ranked IS pretty much open to any random player

Members
78 posts
4,874 battles
49 minutes ago, intixw said:

How dare you insinuate that people should read into a situation and inform themselves before crying in the forums. This is the internet and we have no time for petty things such as reading.

• Cool 3

[CAFE]
Members
1,633 posts
12,088 battles

Sorry, but I am not a fan of the idea of people sailing around in reward ships when they haven’t put in the effort to earn them. Take the Black or Stalingrad, both of which take a year or more to earn and you want to be able to just grind out that currency in pubs in a few weeks? No, if you want nice things you need to actually earn it instead feeling entitled and whining on the forums.

• Cool 6

[ARGSY]
Members
9,628 posts
6,297 battles
8 minutes ago, FratStar4Life said:

I am not a fan of the idea of people sailing around in reward ships when they haven’t put in the effort to earn them.

While I agree with this sentiment, I think we need to wait until the LIVE version of the Arsenal drops before we rush to make any judgements. The PTS arsenal is throwing resources at us for achieving almost nothing because they want to test the mechanics of the thing. I suspect when it actually arrives on the live server, the rewards will be far lower and the ship prices far higher. You won't just be picking these things up for bargain-basement prices; you're really going to have to put some work in.

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
797 posts
10,664 battles

They mention earning coal/steel via achievements, I wonder if they’re being literal, i.e., krackens will also generate coal/steel revenue, would be nice for non-clanners.  Regarding reward ships, via shop they should have “Lima”, or something appended to distinguish the buyers from the earners, or special camos for the earned ships.

Members
287 posts
10,539 battles
10 hours ago, NeutralState said:

what part of "everything else being" equal do people not understand?

If the resources can be earned outside clans, restricting it to Ranked is just as bad. WoWS just like all other multiplayer games, people playing "competitive" mode is the minority, a very small minority at that. If WG then mix that small minority with equipments that give them a distinct advantage with the rest. The game will suffer, the player base will suffer, and with that suffering people will start to leave.

Don't think of ranked as competitive. Think of it as 7vs7 randoms and ignore the stars. Just play that instead of randoms for a few weeks every now and then, and boom, new special currency in your virtual wallet.

• Cool 1