Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Using the Omaha/Pensacola as a decoy

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

84
[DBM]
Members
385 posts
4,885 battles

I am a dd main player mostly lately, but the USN cruiser split has me playing my USN cruisers again and I just got into the Pensacola.  Watched a lot of videos so I know a lot about how these ships should be played.  They are still "squishy" cruisers that get punished for mistakes, but I think that I've stumbled onto a way that they can be very useful for the team.  Over the last few days in Random play, I've gone out on a flank (usually with a dd and BB) as a threesome defending.  We hold our own for a bit and get some solid hits in until our dd gets killed and then the BB and I run as best we can.  It's interesting the the Red Team focuses on me because I'm, a "squishy" target, so they chase me as I'm wig-wagging away.  I don't survive these battles, but I do draw enough attention that our team on the other side of the map has a chance to make an end run.  I've died, but we've won every time.

What do you think about this strategy? It takes a selfless captain, but is is effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
168
[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
23 minutes ago, AMajor said:

What do you think about this strategy? It takes a selfless captain, but is is effective.

I saw something very similar last night used against my team. Two cruisers drew nearly 50% of our forces deep into the corner of the map. Made things very interesting for the rest of our team.

I have also used the same tactic in clan. Had two superior ships chase me all over the map, took them right out of the game.

It is not all that selfless, just a nice exercise in risk reward percentages.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles

I wouldn’t try to draw all the fire, but the Pensacola has a great rudder and has much more accurate guns at long range than other ship stats in her tier, so she does reasonably well wiggling away and kiting at 14 km or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
115 posts
7,012 battles

Are you kidding? Have you not heard of the Pepsi Can Edfect? It’s been around since the Tier VII Pepsican. You can be behind a whole squadron of broadside friendlies and the enemy will ALWAYS focus on you in the pepsican. They know they will get good damage and probably a kill. 

You are helping your team in two ways. (1) Drawing fire (and ships) away from friendlies. (2) Luring the enemy to farm damage instead of playing to win. There are at least 2 downsides. (1) It doesn’t last very long, even if you run off the map. (2) It’s not very much fun for you.

Even with the Effect, T7 Pepsi was one of my favorite ships, now not so much.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[RST]
Members
180 posts
17,200 battles
17 hours ago, AMajor said:

What do you think about this strategy? It takes a selfless captain, but is is effective.

I have done this quite a few times. Baiting the other team to move out of position is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
84
[DBM]
Members
385 posts
4,885 battles
21 hours ago, USSCurtis said:

There are at least 2 downsides. (1) It doesn’t last very long, even if you run off the map. (2) It’s not very much fun for you.

Sounds like you have played the ship a bit, so here's a question for you.  At some point during this strategy, you have to turn and run.  Inevitably during the turn when my broadside is exposed, I get nailed and lose 1/2 my HP.  Is there any trick to making that turn so that I don't lose so many HP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,204
[YORHA]
Members
3,969 posts
6,870 battles
42 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Sounds like you have played the ship a bit, so here's a question for you.  At some point during this strategy, you have to turn and run.  Inevitably during the turn when my broadside is exposed, I get nailed and lose 1/2 my HP.  Is there any trick to making that turn so that I don't lose so many HP?

With the light cruisers you need to turn before you are spotted and then open fire.  Once you spot the reds, begin your turn.

Complete the entire turn (except for the angle you need to bring most/all of your guns to bear) and wait until you are at full speed.  Then blast away.   And wiggle.

Edited by JCC45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
84
[DBM]
Members
385 posts
4,885 battles
24 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

With the light cruisers you need to turn before you are spotted and then open fire.  Once you spot the reds, begin your turn.

Complete the entire turn (except for the angle you need to bring most/all of your guns to bear) and wait until you are at full speed.  Then blast away.   And wiggle.

Thanks much!  I've been driving bow in firing away and THEN make the turn.  Good tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,204
[YORHA]
Members
3,969 posts
6,870 battles
33 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Thanks much!  I've been driving bow in firing away and THEN make the turn.  Good tip.

Same advise if you are capping.   Go into the cap and then turn around to fact the way you came.  That way if the bad guys show up it's easier to git gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
84
[DBM]
Members
385 posts
4,885 battles
1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

Same advise if you are capping.   Go into the cap and then turn around to fact the way you came.  That way if the bad guys show up it's easier to git gone.

Standard tactic for a dd driver.  Got this one down pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
115 posts
7,012 battles

All good advice. I’m no expert, but for me it often doesn’t work out according to the script. It’s obviously easier to face BBs since you can turn during their reload. Smart BB drivers will hold fire until you have to turn. I like to fake a turn, draw some fire, then turn. I also like to turn in towards the enemy, let the shells fly over, then continue to turn 180o away

I don’t like to sit behind an island like a troll under a bridge, but I like to be near an island to duck behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
29 posts
8,170 battles
On 6/9/2018 at 4:43 AM, AMajor said:

Sounds like you have played the ship a bit, so here's a question for you.  At some point during this strategy, you have to turn and run.  Inevitably during the turn when my broadside is exposed, I get nailed and lose 1/2 my HP.  Is there any trick to making that turn so that I don't lose so many HP?

It really comes down to timing and the angle of your ship relative to the player shooting you. The basic principle I use is to pop the clutch down 2 levels (drop speed from full to half ) and turn into the direction the enemy's bow is pointing right as soon as you see the muzzle flash. Then increase the speed back to full to complete the turn before the battleship reloads.

  If Lady Luck is on your side, you might just get some paint scraped from the shell or wet from a complete straddle on all 4 sides of your ship. Most likely the round will hit and it will hurt.

Another trick is to run at 3/4 speed which lets you wiggle left and right just enough without over angling to much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
29 posts
8,170 battles
On 6/7/2018 at 6:38 PM, AMajor said:

I am a dd main player mostly lately, but the USN cruiser split has me playing my USN cruisers again and I just got into the Pensacola.  Watched a lot of videos so I know a lot about how these ships should be played.  They are still "squishy" cruisers that get punished for mistakes, but I think that I've stumbled onto a way that they can be very useful for the team.  Over the last few days in Random play, I've gone out on a flank (usually with a dd and BB) as a threesome defending.  We hold our own for a bit and get some solid hits in until our dd gets killed and then the BB and I run as best we can.  It's interesting the the Red Team focuses on me because I'm, a "squishy" target, so they chase me as I'm wig-wagging away.  I don't survive these battles, but I do draw enough attention that our team on the other side of the map has a chance to make an end run.  I've died, but we've won every time.

What do you think about this strategy? It takes a selfless captain, but is is effective.

What your seeing is basic human nature to go after the easiest, closest, wounded target. I have seen that often when playing a cruiser, wondering why people will shoot me when I am presenting a smaller bow cross section behind a friendly battleship sailing broadside 5 KMS in front of me.

I also use that against them, if for example a battle ship it be shot at by several enemies, I will make my presence know to take off some of the heat while racking up some damage. Usually, it's effective enough for myself and the ally to sink the force opposing us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[OTG]
Beta Testers
592 posts
8,850 battles
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, Ujenele said:

 

Penzacola is one of my favorite ships.  I have played her a lot and have a above average WR in her (57% iirc).  Unlike most others I actually do not like the concelment buff on her, and CE for me would make it worse.  They allow you to get much closer to the enemy in the opening than you should be.

The way I play mine is as follows:

Opening,  head towards the enemy full speed along with the DDs.  Once I am spotted, turn tail and run.  Dont have to wait till incoming fire alert goes off, you are the cit pinata the shells will be on the way,  kite and WASD to avoid the enmy shells while firing HE at the BBs to get a fire going.  Once the enemy loses interest in missing you, turn back towards the enemy, wash and repeat, however this time expose a little broadside to the enemy.  WHY???  You are close to the max range so they have much closer threats they would rather focus on. You get to use all your guns. and finally, you are already spotted so you will need to turn tail when the incoming fire alert goes off, being broadside your 180 is already halfway done.

Midgame, look for flanks to exploit.  if we have a group of ships at the 6 line and the reds have ships at the 8,  Iam going for the 10.  2 reasons.  If there is a DD trying to flank I will get to him before he gets to our BBs (Pepsi excells at DD killing) 2.  Each red is going to either ignore me or manuver there guns away from our larger force.  What usually happens is 1 or 2 ships start shooting at me I dodge and lay into the broadsides of the ships that are bow on to our main force.

Endgame - You are the DD hunter killer, as long as you stay reasonably away from red BBs your will be able to do great things to the CAs (use AP) and the DDs (HE) that are out there.  You see smoke, charge right into it and pop that Hydro.  The secondaries on the Pepsi are awesome and she can dodge torps like nobodies business.  Another end game strategy,  chain fire BBs. They hate that.  I once had 2 BBs chase me for the last 5 min of battle because I would just stay at max range raining HE shells on them starting fires and dodging there shells.

If you play the Penzacola right, you should have around 1 million in potential damage.

Hope this helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,930
[WOLF3]
Members
18,679 posts
17,039 battles

Being the "Decoy Boy" is all fine and dandy until you actually come across guys that know how to aim.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×