Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
thebigblue

Maps. Glad to see ocean again. Where did the waves go?

8 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
2,022 posts

Any body else notice the map “ocean” has been in the rotation a little more than in the past? I am so glad to see it. I have the hang of islands, cover and concealment but ocean is so different. I really find it a fun map to play. I like how it rewards effective team play. It will make us all masters of most of our ships strengths and weakness too. Admittedly, some of the larger boats that depend on smoke in absence of cover are at a disadvantage but I think even here many team skills can be honed.

Anybody know where the “big wave” effects went? Lately I’ve noticed a conspicuous absence of that effect on all maps and I sort of miss it. Seems to me the ocean is a big place and if we are gonna have rain, snow and typhoons (all of which I enjoy and think bring depth and challenge to the game) then the effects of something as common as wind over water should be reflected. Bring back the wave effect!!

on the other hand I usually play in a chronic state of insomnia so It’s possible purple dragons could be flying in the air and I wouldn’t notice them let alone be right about missing wave effects....

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
3,783 posts
55 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Any body else notice the map “ocean” has been in the rotation a little more than in the past? I am so glad to see it. I have the hang of islands, cover and concealment but ocean is so different. I really find it a fun map to play. I like how it rewards effective team play. It will make us all masters of most of our ships strengths and weakness too. Admittedly, some of the larger boats that depend on smoke in absence of cover are at a disadvantage but I think even here many team skills can be honed.

Anybody know where the “big wave” effects went? Lately I’ve noticed a conspicuous absence of that effect on all maps and I sort of miss it. Seems to me the ocean is a big place and if we are gonna have rain, snow and typhoons (all of which I enjoy and think bring depth and challenge to the game) then the effects of something as common as wind over water should be reflected. Bring back the wave effect!!

on the other hand I usually play in a chronic state of insomnia so It’s possible purple dragons could be flying in the air and I wouldn’t notice them let alone be right about missing wave effects....

Ocean is actually a great map.  It's rather enjoyable.  There is absolutely NO WHERE for destroyers and or cruisers to hide, they have to play tactfully on that map.  In all honesty I actually wish they would up the RNG so that map actually comes up more often, of course for the higher tiers.  But instead of having the A B C domination caps, I think they need to do Epicenter mode for Ocean.   The Domination mode eventually just turns into a Cluster Blank.  Wargaming should....

1.  Bring Back Ocean

2. Change it from a Domination Mode (A B C) cap point to Epicenter.

Not to mention that Ocean Map is 100 percent historically accurate most major battles aside from a few of them which we all know they were fought on open ocean.

Edited by SuperSpud1

Alpha Tester
3,648 posts
4,281 battles
8 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Not to mention that Ocean Map is 100 percent historically accurate most major battles aside from a few of them which we all know they were fought on open ocean.

Few battles took place on totally open ocean. Most were in proximity to landmasses, large islands, etc. Of course for WW2 ranges and speeds, that means they took place within 50km or so.

Members
3,783 posts
Just now, Aetreus said:

Few battles took place on totally open ocean. Most were in proximity to landmasses, large islands, etc. Of course for WW2 ranges and speeds, that means they took place within 50km or so.

Well then I got my history screwed up lol.  OPPS .  Does someone have a "House" meme insert it underneath this one.

[KNMSU]
Members
5,152 posts
5,414 battles
Just now, Aetreus said:

Proximity ≠ impact. While the vast majority of naval battles (at least since the advent of oar-independent sailing ships) took place relatively close to land, battles where land masses actually influenced the engagements were pretty darned rare. Generally speaking, admirals on both sides didn't want to have to worry about shooting over hills, or grounding or something while attempting to maneuver and shoot. 

Trafalgar, Jutland, Chesapeake Capes, Cape St. Vincent, Cuddalore, Coronel, Matapan, Midway, etc., etc., etc., all took place within sight of land (or fairly close to it), without having said land influence the engagement in any major fashion.

[NUWES]
Members
2,072 posts
6,621 battles
17 hours ago, Aetreus said:

I was going to say this as well. I have no idea where people keep getting the idea that naval battles are usually fought in the open ocean. Normally ships are fighting to take or defend land so the fight is within range of that land. In the Pacific in particular, most of the battles were fought in close proximity to islands and coasts because that is what they were actually fighting over. Open ocean fights do happen, but they are more the exception because unless the enemy has a reason to fight you right then and there they will just leave and pick a better time and place. Jutland was more of an anomaly than a rule of thumb. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this