Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

"New" Cleve passes the sniff test..

9 comments in this topic

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Cleve is a ship dear to my heart..  Oh waaaay back in the early days when she ran around and scared the living poop out of everything on the map.  CV's lost many a plane.. DD's went down like a cheap hooker in vegas.  Enemy cruisers ran at her AP fire rate.  BB's feared her fire.   Then the game moved on and made her pretty much obsolete.  I have only had a few test runs in her new T8 model, and I did poorly as I have been out of the cruiser game for awhile,  but the evidence is clear.  Cleveland is a force again...and the world is better for it.  :) 

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,547 posts
4,913 battles

Cleveland was perfect at tier 6.  At tier 8, it's completely dependent on camping and terrain hugging.   It's nice not having to pick between hydro and AA but most of the time that AA button just sits there useless.  And the radar is out of control and feels bad man for destroyers.

High tiers in general are kind of lame.  Yeah, it's great to be the big dawgs but it's so passive and slow and unforgiving and blah.  Tier 6 is by far my favorite tier and now I don't have Cleve to fall back to when the inevitable high tier rage quit syndrome strikes.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
7 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

Cleveland was perfect at tier 6.  At tier 8, it's completely dependent on camping and terrain hugging.   It's nice not having to pick between hydro and AA but most of the time that AA button just sits there useless.  And the radar is out of control and feels bad man for destroyers.

High tiers in general are kind of lame.  Yeah, it's great to be the big dawgs but it's so passive and slow and unforgiving and blah.  Tier 6 is by far my favorite tier and now I don't have Cleve to fall back to when the inevitable high tier rage quit syndrome strikes.

Yeah but Pens fell back to 6..and that is a good place for her.  Penc as always outmatched at 7.  with her guns upgrade Penc will be a fine replacement for Cleve at 6.  And I disagree with your assessment that Cleve needs to camp.  Granted I am a BB main and a brawler at that.  I have been out of the cruiser game for a long time.  The new cleve could do really well as a camper, but she really does well as a front line ship cutting down DD's and pushing the enemy back...just like she did in the old days.  She might not win you any high achievements, but she Is going to be a presence that the enemy team needs to account for.  A big upgrade from her old role as a slog that did nothing but play an occasional role in t 6 battles

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,547 posts
4,913 battles
11 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

The new cleve could do really well as a camper, but she really does well as a front line ship cutting down DD's and pushing the enemy back...

A big upgrade from her old role as a slog that did nothing but play an occasional role in t 6 battles

It's kind of a huge downgrade actually.  Your radar and the fact that you don't have a heal means that you're a prime target.  Push out from behind that rock to shoot at the dd you just spotted and lose half your health.  If you get back into cover quickly enough, maybe you won't die but now you're a one shot and it's 5 minutes into the game.  And now you literally have to hide.

Basically, they buffed two ships that kind of needed it but I have no interest in playing and nerfed the ship that has always been my favorite.  I carried all the time in the T6 Cleve.  That thing was a monster in the end game.  Lolpens at high tiers take most of that away unless you have an island to hide behind.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,279 posts
12,633 battles

yes, when I sniff, my nose cringes from the stench.  I won't say it's bad, but I'll say I don't like it, and enjoy the easy kills.

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

Well you do not go to radar a cap by yourself make sure that when you drop radar your team is there to have your back. It is a cruiser there for firepower and support. Granted I tend to be overly agressive and pay the price but, that is the purpose of a cruiser. At tier 6 Cleveland could bully ships at that tier but at tier 8 there really are no bullies that can go it alone not even BBs. If you are too far from your team you will be focused and sank at least that is the way it "should" work..............

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,547 posts
4,913 battles
1 minute ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

Well you do not go to radar a cap by yourself make sure that when you drop radar your team is there to have your back. It is a cruiser there for firepower and support. Granted I tend to be overly agressive and pay the price but, that is the purpose of a cruiser. At tier 6 Cleveland could bully ships at that tier but at tier 8 there really are no bullies that can go it alone not even BBs. If you are too far from your team you will be focused and sank at least that is the way it "should" work..............

Yeah, I know.  I'm just one of those types that can't help but follow the DD to whichever cap it goes to.  Sometimes you get support, sometimes you don't.  When you don't and there's not much cover, you don't have much choice but to expose some part of your ship as you flee the scene.  One good volley of lolpens in the rear end and you're also at half health and played exactly as you should have.

[CAST]
Members
1,485 posts
7,924 battles

I liked my T6 Cleveland.  After I learned the game, it was a powerhouse ship that I took out when I wanted to have a good game.  I actually like the T8 Cleveland too.  It is a different game you play in that ship, because there are more deadly ships on the map that can one-shot you.  I don't crouch behind an island and fire a rainbow arc of fire, at least not very often.  I do move around alot and rain fire from the sky from different areas of the map.  IFHE is a necessity more now than before.  I liked it before, but it's almost a necessity now.  With the T8 Cleveland rate of fire, you can chew quite a bit of health off a ship in a short period of time.  It's all good.

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,547 posts
4,913 battles

To flesh out my previous example:

You and your rando DD pal head off to C because that's the nearest cap and one that needs to be taken.  The rest of the team lemmings over to A where they'll be out of the action for most of the game.  You cover the DD while he sticks his toes into C to see if it can be ninja'd. 

At T6 in a T8 game, the Cleve could hold off one or sometimes two other cruisers especially if one gets greedy.  Any more than that and you have to disengage.  But at T6, you could do a fighting withdrawal and maybe even sink something along the way.  

At T8 in a T10 game, you pretty much have to run for your life and pray you don't get spotted if there's anything more than a DD.  Yeah, it's tactical but kind of meh, imo.

Edited by CommodoreKang

Sign in to follow this