You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

Proposal: Radar targets only visible to ships within the radar radius.

79 comments in this topic

[ARP3]
Members
574 posts
11,806 battles

We have too much radar. 6-7 radars per team, per side now. It's ruining the game.

Limit the radar vision to ships with in the radius of the radar.

That way only ships in the immediate fight get vision, and a battleship 22km away doesn't. It will improve the game greatly.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 8

Members
1,745 posts
11,091 battles

You opened a can of worms. Sitting back with popcorn to see how this turns out 

deer-popcorn.gif

• Funny 2

[WOLF5]
Members
1,330 posts
7,559 battles
14 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

We have too much radar. 6-7 radars per team, per side now. It's ruining the game.

That way only ships in the immediate fight get vision, and a battleship 22km away doesn't. It will improve the game greatly.

Agreed.
Inb4 the following dev "contradictions":

"Its a game engine limitation"
"Disproportionate radar existence on one team over another does not change the odds of victory"
"WoWs is Rock-Paper-Scissors and we balance as such" + "We are limiting DDs in MM but not the other ship types" + Only one hard counter in the game.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,745 posts
11,091 battles

Give DDs a consumable that blocks radar

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Bad 2

[SALVO]
Members
19,504 posts
19,640 battles
18 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

There are some changes I'd like to see to radar.

1. Personally, I'd like to have it that the only ship that could see a ship spotted by an active radar be the ship that triggered the radar in the first place.  Alternatively, allow other ships that have a radar consumable mounted to see radar-spotted ships, even if it was a different ship on their team that triggered the radar.

1a.  Other team mates should only be able to "see" radar spotted ships on their mini-map, but NOT be able to see them on the HUD to be able to lock onto them.

1b.  Alternatively, allow radar spotted ships to be sort of seen, but apply a significant dispersion penalty for shooting at said target, since you're not spotting it yourself.

2.  This one is cosmetic, but I'd very much love to see it.  When using radar or hydro, I think that your HUD should turn "radar screen green" and only return to normal when the radar or hydro has expired.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[SUCIT]
Members
1,000 posts
4,084 battles

:fish_palm:

Can we please stop with the radar threads?  A new ship line is dropping that's centered around utility, and radar is a large portion of that.  Let's wait until a month after the "new line freakout" before we make the end of the world claims.  

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[FORM]
Members
397 posts
7,320 battles

As i said in another post. One SIMPLE fix would stop most of the complaints about radar. STOP it from seeing through terrain. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,197 posts
3,895 battles
4 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

:fish_palm:

Can we please stop with the radar threads?  A new ship line is dropping that's centered around utility, and radar is a large portion of that.  Let's wait until a month after the "new line freakout" before we make the end of the world claims.  

So yet again destroyer players raise concerns and are told to sit down, shut up, and adapt to it.

Gets kinda old after hearing it for 2-3 years. 2-3 years that have been mostly filled with nerfs.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[SUCIT]
Members
1,000 posts
4,084 battles
Just now, KiyoSenkan said:

So yet again destroyer players raise concerns and are told to sit down, shut up, and adjust to it.

Gets kinda old after hearing it for 2-3 years of nerfs.

I guess the DD mafia is out in full force with this line dropping eh?  

I perform best in DDs.  I play high tier clan battles which are centered around radar most of the time.  I play random battles regularly, with and against radar.  I don't have any issue with radar.  Can we stop with this whole "OMG DDS ONLY GET NERFED" bull:etc_swear:?  It's made up.  It's confirmation bias.  The ship classes are balanced all around.  

If you have that hard of a time playing a DD against radar, maybe it's time to play another ship class.  Try our Cruisers, or better yet, if BBs are all powerful, why not give them a try?

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,197 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I perform best in DDs.  I play high tier clan battles which are centered around radar most of the time.  I play random battles regularly, with and against radar.  I don't have any issue with radar.  Can we stop with this whole "OMG DDS ONLY GET NERFED" bull:etc_swear:?  It's made up.  It's confirmation bias.  The ship classes are balanced all around.  

If you have that hard of a time playing a DD against radar, maybe it's time to play another ship class.  Try our Cruisers, or better yet, if BBs are all powerful, why not give them a try?

A: Not DD Mafia, I wish this term would die. I play everything including carriers.

B: I never said destroyers "only" get nerfed. It's just the majority of changes made to destroyers are nerfs. I recognize that they get the occasional buff.

C: Can we stop with the whole "You said something I don't agree with, so I'll exaggerate it to the biggest extreme I can and then act like that's what you said" garbage?

Ship classes are not balanced all around, and they haven't for a long time. Battleships in particular are far too powerful.

I just have little motivation to play my destroyers, lately. I've spent far more time in cruisers and battleships for the past 2-3 months, when I can be bothered to start up the game at all.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Members
2,810 posts
20,321 battles

I'll just repost what I wrote in another thread which i think is a reasonable suggestion:

"in WoWs we have the ability to incapacitate and or destroy main batteries, secondaries, aa mounts, rudders, engines, torpedo tubes... so why cant a well placed shot into the super have a lets say 5% chance of incapacitating radar? :-( :-("

Edited by giovybez
  • Cool 2

Members
1,430 posts
3,417 battles

I'm fine with radar, if anything the only thing i'd add to it is line of sight, bloody hate getting radar'd through islands.

[-BRS-]
Members
2,396 posts
15,427 battles

They should make radar work For the one ship that activates it not for everybody else around him

Not as a spotting radar for everybody

use it as targeting radar for the one ship only

Now that we're having up to 6 radars per team it's overwhelming and not enjoyable to play destroyers T8 and above and will drive people away  That aren't super experienced 

I mean I know how to survive in it but it doesn't mean it's fun

Edited by silverdahc
  • Bad 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,197 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, clowlock said:

I'm fine with radar, if anything the only thing i'd add to it is line of sight, bloody hate getting radar'd through islands.

That's the only change I've ever wanted for Radar, and yet I get branded by cruiser mains as someone who wants radar removed entirely. On the extreme end I've been accused of wanting destroyers to be invincible death machines... which I have never once alluded to, much less actually said.

[SUCIT]
Members
1,000 posts
4,084 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

A: Not DD Mafia, I wish this term would die. I play everything including carriers.

B: I never said destroyers "only" get nerfed. It's just the majority of changes made to destroyers are nerfs. I recognize that they get the occasional buff.

I just have little motivation to play my destroyers, lately. I've spent far more time in cruisers and battleships for the past 2-3 months, when I can be bothered to start up the game at all.

I play more Cruiser and BB than DD as well, but that's because I enjoy playing them more.  Statistically speaking I'm vastly better in DDs than any other class.  The reason I don't enjoy playing them is due to team support.  I love playing a DD with a good team, because all of the things a good DD does gets rewarded.  Playing DD in random battles is far too dependent on your team mates.  All of the things a good DD player does instinctively, cap contesting, spotting, covering flanks, spotting torps ect. go completely unrewarded in random battles.  The nature of the class requires support from the rest of the team.  You're the stealthiest, most maneuverable, have arguably the highest alpha potential with torpedoes, and have the ability to single handedly funnel a team.  If you give the class even more damage or utility than that, it's going to straight up break the game.  

Where we stand currently is a good place.  I find far less games with 6-7 DDs or BBs per side.  I think we can all agree those games suck.  The game is more fun when the class structure is balanced the way it currently is.  

And I wasn't implying that you said DDs only get nerfed.  It's a stigma that aggravates me where people clearly fail to see the buffs of a class, but instead focus on the negatives.  Hell, they're giving DDs one of the largest buffs in recent memory when they change the AP normalization for BB shells.  The last major nerf to DDs that sticks out to me was the IJN torp changes, which were 100% necessary at the time.  

• Cool 1

Members
198 posts
1,447 battles
15 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

No genius because it has nothing to do with the drop of 7.5.

At tier 10 I was regularly seeing 4 or 5 radar cruisers per battle before 7.5!

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,095 posts
15,854 battles
5 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

If you give the class even more damage or utility than that, it's going to straight up break the game.

Then why isn't everyone playing CVs, which are much, much more powerful and have a much greater affect on the game as a whole? Your statements are false and your logic flawed.

7 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

they're giving DDs one of the largest buffs in recent memory when they change the AP normalization for BB shells.

They're not "BUFFING" anything; they're re-fixing something they have previously "fixed" incorrectly, which caused the current situation. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,197 posts
3,895 battles
25 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

And I wasn't implying that you said DDs only get nerfed.  It's a stigma that aggravates me where people clearly fail to see the buffs of a class, but instead focus on the negatives.  Hell, they're giving DDs one of the largest buffs in recent memory when they change the AP normalization for BB shells.  The last major nerf to DDs that sticks out to me was the IJN torp changes, which were 100% necessary at the time.  

Oh hold on to your butt, then, because they're testing a nerf to all destroyers that drops them to 13mm armor to make them more vulnerable to cruisers, with little to no net gain in the intended "make battleships always overpen" claim the devs stated was the goal.

Except, I suspect, the Khab's 50mm plate will stick around.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Bad 1

[STP]
Beta Testers
3,089 posts
12,145 battles

Thats one interessing ideia, and works for cvs spoting dds too... and kind alread have this mechanic in cyclones.

[SF-A]
Members
2,993 posts
6,252 battles

Play around it? Just like learning to dodge torpedoes is part of T2 gameplay, learning to work with radar is part of T8 gameplay (for the most part).

• Cool 2

Members
5,308 posts
6,053 battles

I find it interesting that about half or so of the commenters in this thread seem to have only read the title, then immediately jumped to the conclusion that this thread was a "radar is OP" thread.

The OP actually made a pretty reasonable suggestion.

Take Des Moines radar for example. It reaches out to 9.9km. In actuality, that's a 19.8km sphere around the Des Moines for radar. That's actually quite a large area and can likely encompass more ships than people think without the area being too crowded. The OP is suggesting that only those ships within that 19.8km circle can see ships spotted by radar. Personally, I don't think it's a bad suggestion. It's certainly a better alternative than most other suggestions to 'make radar LoS', which is claimed by the devs to be impossible with the current game engine.

• Cool 1