You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Threat Assessment Thursday

22 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,202 posts
6,924 battles

Image result for cleveland class light cruiser

With the introduction of the a revamped US cruiser line, which ship or class poses the biggest threat?

When I see multiple Clevelands enter battle on the opposing side, I take caution to approach carefully and strategically.

Her guns will lay waste to ships of all sizes and any aircraft that dare approach her.

What ship(s) is at the top of your threat assessment chart?

"Never fear your enemy but always respect them." - John Basilone, US Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

[INTEL]
Members
1,338 posts
9,778 battles

It's more the player I'm up against.  Then it's the situation I encounter them in.

[H_]
Members
1,700 posts

Minotaur, Edinburgh and Atlanta.  Cleveland's, meh..... I'm not sure if the guys that own them, understand them???   The Soviet ships are pretty good but, it seems the American line is OP right now,  I'm a potato and realtively new so, I could be 100% wrong in my choices but, from the hundreds of battles, those top three are on my kill now list....

[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles

I think that the ship that will pose the most threat to me would be the Tier 10 Worcester. The ship has a remarkable concealment when fully built for that, and can sit outside my radar range while also being inside my ship detection range (when I am in my DM). A good player could then use that ship to keep those with larger detection spotted while staying dark and forcing me to act in some way.  

[LHG]
Members
2,031 posts
5,632 battles

Cleveland's a good ship but not an OP one. Sure she has good AA but at T8 she's no better than Baltimore at that tier.   I certainly think that New Orleans in the T7 spot is a much better ship that Pensacola was when she was in that position.  Baltimore works well at T8 where she was a bit underpowered at T9 and the Buffalo is really a ship I like a lot at T9.  

All in all I see the split so far as shoring up some known weaknesses in the US Cruiser line (while creating a new one at T6 with Pensacola) and making those ships more competitive.  I don't think it makes a signficant shift on the treat meter however.  

Taking the question further to most dangerous ships and or classes I'd go with CV's in the hands of someone who really knows what they are doing with them especially at higher tiers where manual drops are the coin of the realm.  Next in line would be those little menaces, the destroyers.  Both these types of vessels require a higher skill floor than others but when you meet someone who knows what they are doing they are certainly opponents to be respected.

[TBW]
Members
7,189 posts
13,326 battles

Took Cleveland out for the first time last night we won. All ships can pose a threat if the captain plays them right.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,820 posts
5,111 battles

Cruiser targeting assessment

1) Smoke Cruisers.  If i can see them get my shots in because who knows when I'll see them again

2) Radar cruisers.  I'm usually in a cruiser, DD's picking me up and spotting me for the BB's is an issue.  If I can take out enemy radar cruisers so our DD's can push up and extend my safety range I'll do what I can

3) Torpedo Cruisers.  Mainly IJN.  Stealth torp cruisers... I don't want to be blundering onto anyone's highlight reel thankyouverymuch lol

4) Machine gun cruisers.  Usually behind islands so whenever they do appear and I can manage a shot the better it'll be for the poor BB's and DD's

Battleship targeting assessment

1) Gun Caliber.  Heavier guns more threat they pose with landing that one lucky shell on my stern and blapping most of my cruiser health.  Earlier I can start whittling them down and making them play more defensively the better

2) Secondaries/Torps.  It's annoying when you've got constant pinging off your hull from secondary fire and then the odd fire.  Even if I can't kill'em in my cruiser, my HE might knock a few out, make it easier later on or for the team

Destroyer Targeting assessment

1)Torpedo Boats.  See Smoke cruiser, Get my shots in when I can because who knows when they'll appear again to shoot at. 

2) Gunboats.  One less gunboat on the field is easier for the whole team from Battleships all the way down to Destroyers. 

Edited by vonKaiser

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,339 battles

In random battles with bunch of random people. The simple is rule focus whatever is nearest. Doesn't matter it is a DD, cruiser, or BB. 

One salvo from each ship on the team can cripple a DD or cruiser, or outright kills it.

No BBs can stand focused fire for long either.

Just all target the nearest ship and destroy it with whatever means. Rinse and repeat.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles

I tend to try and delete Atlanta whenever I can. If they engage you on their terms, they are going to hurt you through sheer weight of fire :(

The rest of the US cruiser line (with the exception of the Des Moines) are just targets. 

[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles

Yamato is generally on my hit list, followed by RN cruisers, Des Moines, anything that’ll be happy to one shot me because gun caliber, all Japanese cruisers because reasons, and anything that’s willing to blunder into me.  Basically anything and everything.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,809 posts
2,745 battles

DDs.  The team that loses its DDs usually loses the match.  The spotting and capping advantage of a team with DDs against a team without DDs is tremendous.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

Any ship that is capable of doing a damn-damn on you, which is all of them, is a threat. And, as someone already pointed out, it's the driver who's the real threat not so much what ship he/she's driving.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,440 posts
11,429 battles

Threat assessment -

1. Press 'Tab'.

2. Identify the triple division from the Typhoon league clan each with the top emblems for DD/CA/BB.

3. Threat assessment is complete

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,338 posts
9,778 battles
22 minutes ago, mofton said:

Threat assessment -

1. Press 'Tab'.

2. Identify the triple division from the Typhoon league clan each with the top emblems for DD/CA/BB.

3. Threat assessment is complete

Persactly

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

The biggst guns /torps pointing at + nearest to me, in a rando.

Radar/DD in ranked/clan, except when a focus fire on specific target is called out and possible to achieve.

[INTEL]
Members
9,755 posts
27,643 battles

None of the new cruisers is a threat. Clevelands are annoying at best, Buffalo is meh, Balti is meh. They are basically a collection of free citadels for BB drivers. 

At present while I have seen isolated incidences of decent cruiser play, on the whole those ships generally die early and finish at the bottom. I do not like seeing them on my team.

[RKLES]
Members
8,867 posts
10,828 battles
7 hours ago, Taichunger said:

None of the new cruisers is a threat. Clevelands are annoying at best, Buffalo is meh, Balti is meh. They are basically a collection of free citadels for BB drivers. 

At present while I have seen isolated incidences of decent cruiser play, on the whole those ships generally die early and finish at the bottom. I do not like seeing them on my team.

Exactly my experience / point of view. Only annoying that BBs they do is, the AA if you use a CV, Radar, setting occasional fire, and maybe freakishly bouncing an occasional BB shells are just very minor things. Not like the USN CAs have Torps or long range guns to worry about.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

12km or less DDs

15km or less Cruisers (CLs > CAs)

15km or more BBs

Broadside > Angled

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,158 battles

Depends entirely on which ship Im playing, what tier and weather I be top, middle or bottom tiered for  that game.

[MWM]
Supertester
1,810 posts
5,489 battles

The biggest ship threat is... NDA.  

Sorry its reflex for me at this point :P

Anything radar.  Remove them first.  Immediately swing the advantage in the game to your favor.  Win the intelligence war first.  You also buy your dd's some breathing room.

Then remove enemy DDs.

Then BB.

All this unless given better opportunities.

Broadside bb vs angled away cruiser obviously take the shot at the BB.  Whatever nets you the most damage.  You may not kill the BB but you will force him to break away giving you the momentum to push the cap or gain more territory.

Edited by Skraeling
  • Funny 1