You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zerofourdelta

I'm not a sportsman because my kid hurt herself!

58 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
1,042 battles

Tonight i got flagged as a team killer / not a sportsman because my kid burned her arm and I had to drop out of a co-op game and deal with it. I personally think real life takes precedence.

I rarely drop out of a game, actually I think this maybe a 1st.... Shouldn't you get a once a month pass for dropping out, because real life is not revolve around computer games, or does it?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,334 posts
2,945 battles

Sorry to hear your kid got burned but i gotta ask, how do you figure WG would be aware of special cases? Without a GM or someone to talk to they wouldn't know. Pink is not the shame it used to be. It will wash off ;)

[TDRB]
Members
2,270 posts
6,947 battles

I hope & pray you child is ok.

There are a lot of RL reasons for dropping out of a game. I'm a parent/grandparent and this game means zilch when it comes to me loved ones.

I seen several post where it appeared going AFK is inexcusable in the minds of some. Now we have this rule to deal with. I understand you frustration.

Edited by kgh52

Members
11 posts
1,042 battles

I know, thats why the once a month comment, it's a kick in the guts being called out for team killing /  unsporting conduct for taking the only option available to me.

Members
567 posts
75 battles
11 minutes ago, zerofourdelta said:

Tonight i got flagged as a team killer / not a sportsman because my kid burned her arm and I had to drop out of a co-op game and deal with it. I personally think real life takes precedence.

I rarely drop out of a game, actually I think this maybe a 1st.... Shouldn't you get a once a month pass for dropping out, because real life is not revolve around computer games, or does it?

So what does this "flag" do to you as a negative consequence? Are you not able to play? Are you only able to play ships starting at half hitpoints or can only move at half speed? Please tell me you are triggered over an actual punishment and not a cosmetic warning that actually doesn't do anything. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,027 posts
4,542 battles
7 minutes ago, zerofourdelta said:

Hope your little one is A-OK and it wasn't anything too serious @zerofourdelta .

And yeah. The new automatic anti-abuse system, unfortunately, isn't able to determine the intent behind an AFK, which I'm not sure it is possible to program an automated system to be able to determine intent. Regardless, in your case, your reason for going AFK was absolutely excusable and you did the right thing. Fortunately, it's just a warning. The "pink eye" can be worked off in a couple of games.

But a once a month pass for AFK sounds like a great idea to me; as it is similar to the idea of tweaking the new system so that it takes two AFKs in a 24-hour period before receiving a warning. Your suggestion is just a longer period of time that the counter is active.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
6 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Who called you out? No one did when I turned pink. 

I have seen it a couple of times. All the other players just sort of rolled their eyes at the comment and got on with slaughtering the evil red team

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,124 posts
19,941 battles
21 minutes ago, zerofourdelta said:

I wouldn't worry about being pink Zero. So many people are sporting the "Breast Cancer Awareness" colors nowadays that it really has lost the stigma it once had. I play mostly co-op and it is not a rare occurrence to see half the team is pink.... Funnier yet, see the other half go pink during the match... It is becoming ridiculous.

Members
11 posts
1,042 battles
6 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

So what does this "flag" do to you as a negative consequence? Are you not able to play? Are you only able to play ships starting at half hitpoints or can only move at half speed? Please tell me you are triggered over an actual punishment and not a cosmetic warning that actually doesn't do anything. 

It's a principal thing, being labeled as unsportsmanlike.... oh forget it, I'm former Australian military and a father, I don't expect people to understand.

• Cool 2

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

OP, you are absolutely correct. Real life DOES take precedence over the game. Now accept your pink status with pride and hope that your daughter doesn't continue to burn herself enough times to turn you orange.

Also, everyone knows by now that a pink player can mean darn near anything and "unsportsmanlike behavior" accounts for maybe 10% of all infractions. The other 90% of infractions is from someone not paying attention and/or accidents. People still poke fun at those that got turned pink, but it means nothing now. Turning Orange is when the real effect of the new system hits you and that requires reoccurring instances of turning pink. Good thing is, the only ones effected by Orange players are those stuck in coop.

Edited by Levits

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,124 posts
19,941 battles
5 minutes ago, zerofourdelta said:

It's a principal thing, being labeled as unsportsmanlike.... oh forget it, I'm former Australian military and a father, I don't expect people to understand.

I understand, it is quite insulting IMHO. One of the reasons I can not stand civilians is their lack of a sense of honor. I attribute the poor wording of the offense to the fact that the ones who design the games are probably nerds and are pretty clueless about how they word things can be insulting. I figure it is just automated and let it roll off my back. It doesn't engender any kindness towards the programmers from my end though.

Edited by Taylor3006

[WORX]
Members
3,037 posts
14,516 battles
28 minutes ago, zerofourdelta said:

Tonight i got flagged as a team killer / not a sportsman because my kid burned her arm and I had to drop out of a co-op game

Mustard is good for burns it wont leave a scare either, hope everything is ok in the home front. Now, the reality of the pink is not what you think. Plus it was a co-op game which I am surprised if you won if every bot on both side suicide leaving you the lone survivor. Take a few breaths, take care of the little one since she is your pride and joy. The AFK penalty doesn't register intent, however since you where not there to contribute it gave you 2 games of pink. No big deal really, what irks me was it was in Co-Op with majority bots. That would piss me off the must.

• Bad 1

[TF57]
Members
1,380 posts
4,080 battles

This.

Members
11 posts
1,042 battles

It's all good... My wife was cooking a chocolate something in the oven to share at work tomorrow, and my daughter, trying to help mum, burned her arm on the oven door... not a hospital visit, but still.... she screams, I drop everything.

I still don't see how this is a thing, drop a game for the 1st time to take care of my kid..... and boom i'm the [edited]!

Members
567 posts
75 battles
18 minutes ago, zerofourdelta said:

You're missing the point. The system only impacts people who are repeat offenders and abusers. Just getting an initial warning for the real life interruptions we all have is not something you should allow to bother you. My wife is getting truckloads of gifts every day for our upcoming birth of our first. If I have to run to the door and sign a package or if I get an important "emergency" ice cream run request, I'll get the warning but I'm not going to get emotionally hijacked over it. 

I make it a point to be present in most games as a matter of principal and do so by taking care of RL matters in advance in order to respect the time of the other players. That's more principle than most do in this game. 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 3

[WOLF9]
Members
1,027 posts
4,542 battles
23 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I understand, it is quite insulting IMHO. One of the reasons I can not stand civilians is their lack of a sense of honor. I attribute the poor wording of the offense to the fact that the ones who design the games are probably nerds and are pretty clueless about how they word things can be insulting. I figure it is just automated and let it roll off my back. It doesn't engender any kindness towards the programmers from my end though.

I know plenty of civilians who did not grow up in a military family or did not serve in the military who have a sense of honor. In my experience, it's parents and how one is raised that instills a sense of honor. That can be further strengthened if one plays team sports, participates in an organization that promotes sportsmanship and honor i.e. the Boy Scouts, and through military service. While I have the utmost respect for any man or woman who chooses to serve their country, not every individual that serves is necessarily honorable.

28 minutes ago, zerofourdelta said:

I'm not military nor am I a father, but I completely understand where you are coming from @zerofourdelta. I learned about sportsmanship and honor from my grandfather and through my time in Boy Scouts as well as playing team sports in high school. I could be wrong, but I think it is more of a generational thing when it comes to sportsmanship and the label of being "unsportsmanlike." Sportsmanship and honor just doesn't seem to be as important as it used to be to some. In WG's case, and the new anti-abuse system, while the wording may be disconcerting, I'm not sure if there is another way to term it.

In the end, the system is meant to punish habitual offenders and a pink warning every now and then shouldn't cause you any concern. Just glad your little one is A-OK it sounds like.

Edited by daVinci761st
I apparently cannot spell tonight lol
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,124 posts
19,941 battles
2 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

I know plenty of civilians who have did not grow up in a military family or did not serve in the military who have a sense of honor. In my experience, it's parents and how one is raised that instills a sense of honor. That can be further strengthened if one plays team sports, participates in an organization that promotes sportsmanship and honor i.e. the Boy Scouts, and through military service. While I have the utmost respect for any man or woman who chooses to serve their country, not every individual that serves is necessarily honorable.

I agree not everyone who puts on a uniform is necessary honorable. That Manning character is a good example from recent history. Talking generalities is all, there are always exceptions but they don't disprove the rule. I imagine there are lots of honorable civilians, again talking generalities and your experience is not mine.

[TF57]
Members
1,380 posts
4,080 battles

I know, thats why the once a month comment, it's a kick in the guts being called out for team killing /  unsporting conduct for taking the only option available to me

I'm surprised you regard an automated warning, with no effect, as a "kick in the guts." 

Especially if you are a mature, rational adult.

Apart from being a dad causing lack of sleep, I don't understand how either of these effects your ability to use logic and rationally process things.

EDIT: Sssshh, no one tell him about the in-game karma system!

Edited by evilleMonkeigh

Members
11 posts
1,042 battles

2 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

I'm surprised you regard an automated warning, with no effect, as a "kick in the guts." 

Especially if you are a mature, rational adult.

Apart from being a dad causing lack of sleep, I don't understand how either of these effects your ability to use logic and rationally process things.

so you disagree with a once a month pass for dealing with real life problems? or are you just trying to call me illogical and irrational in a REALLY passive aggressive way? My wife does this to me all the time.

• Funny 1

[TF57]
Members
1,380 posts
4,080 battles

so you disagree with a once a month pass for dealing with real life problems? or are you just trying to call me illogical and irrational in a REALLY passive aggressive way? My wife does this to me all the time.

I think there is no need for one, since going pink is only a meaningless warning.

Yes, I regard your response as irrational, or at the least extremely overly sensitive, heading into snowflake territory. I mean, getting upset over the wording of an automated warning? Geez.  Your wife is probably correct. (Like wives always are!)

This is probably a bit harshly worded, but give what you are upset about.... :Smile_facepalm:

EDIT: To counter my bluntness, may I offer to team up in game some time and help you out (I notice you are a newer player)

Edited by evilleMonkeigh

Members
11 posts
1,042 battles
2 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

I think there is no need for one, since going pink is only a meaningless warning.

Yes, I regard your response as irrational, or at the least extremely overly sensitive, heading into snowflake territory. I mean, getting upset over the wording of an automated warning? Geez.  Your wife is probably correct. (Like wives always are!)

This is probably a bit harshly worded, but give what you are upset about.... :Smile_facepalm:

try living by certain codes and principles and having a game piss on it.... and a trumped up twerp on a forum..... of forget it you will never understand. Just.... forget it. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,124 posts
19,941 battles
15 minutes ago, zerofourdelta said:

try living by certain codes and principles and having a game piss on it.... and a trumped up twerp on a forum..... of forget it you will never understand. Just.... forget it. 

That guy you are responding to is a known troll. I have him on ignore. It makes the forums far more pleasant.

Members
11 posts
1,042 battles
9 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

That guy you are responding to is a known troll. I have him on ignore. It makes the forums far more pleasant.

ahh good to know, although I know I'm sensitive about my good name, and take being called unsporting offensive. But to be called snowflake because I hold my actions high standard and dislike this mechanic.... that's new!