Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Iron_Salvo921

Graf Spee or Duca Da Aosta?

17 comments in this topic

[UTWE]
Members
321 posts
4,458 battles

I'm thinking about getting a new premium ship soon and i've narrowed it down to either Graf Spee or Duca Da Aosta. I'm more of a BB guy which is why i'm leaning toward Graf Spee but I like fast reloading guns and that I would think is more Duca Da Aosta's area. What are your guys's opinion on the two ships?

[CVA16]
Members
3,707 posts
12,049 battles
6 minutes ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

I'm more of a BB guy which is why i'm leaning toward Graf Spee but I like fast reloading guns

How can you be "more of a BB guy" and like fast reloading guns? Like looking for a BB that can stealth torp.

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,625 posts
17,066 battles

Graf Spee is not a BB, nor does it play like one. If you're looking for a cruiser that does, try Moskva or Kronshtadt. Duca is a solid, reliable ship, but definitely not a BB either. If I had to choose, I'd take Duca, just because Graf is a very situational ship requiring a very special playstyle, where Duca plays much more generically.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,634 posts
11,453 battles

I have both, and enjoy both.  Depends on what kind of game you play, both ships can be beaten on if you play them poorly.  Both have fun torps, Graf, slower firing guns, but ability to damage BBs with good shots.  Duca is a DD killer...Graf more all around...again what kind of ship do you want here?   I really can't pick one over the other, but lean towards Duca, just a bit more versatile.

Members
692 posts
1,153 battles

D`Aosta is a big DD, fast, agile, long range torps and decent HE that makes fires and chases DDs, but bad concealment and fragile.

More a Russian DD than an american CA.

[YETI]
Members
120 posts
7,002 battles

If your a bb main and like fast reload, I would suggest Sharnhorst.  Bb with 20 sec reload and 6km trips.

Also might want to wait till June 8th for the WG to release the 16 ships listed in the link and another week for the undisclosed another 15 ships.  That's 31 to choose from.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/premiumshop-monthly-june/

• Cool 1

Members
1,996 posts
10,587 battles

Hey

I would take the Graf Spee any day of the week.  She has big guns, better armor, 8km torps per side which do quite decent damage, slower but can very easily wipe the Duca from the map.  Read Little White Mouses review of both ships and the comments people make, not to mention the Community Contributors video's on each before making a decision.  I personally don't have the Duca and no plans to get her But I do love my Graf Spee.  Duca and the Graf Spee are part of the tech tree ships (premium part) right now for roughly 4700/4750 doubloons.  

Pete 

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

I prefer the Graf Spee myself just for her better armor but as @temp1ar says above, there are more ships coming soon. If you aren't in a hurry, you could always see if any of them appeal to you instead 

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

Graff is a ship that suffers from the vulnerability of being a cruiser (decent against some cruisers AP, but not their HE and you aren't tanking any BB rounds that well), but with the slower-firing guns of a BB (great vs Cruisers and can deal damage to BB's if they are showing you their sides), and yet possesses monster torps (some amazing damage potential, decent range, and somehow they were smart enough to give them very good firing angles).

Problem is, it all depends on what the enemy gives you and your position to them. If you are facing a enemy cruiser that is stupid enough to stay broadside of you and you can get your AP into it, you'll citadel it no problem. If that same cruiser is bow on, you fire far too slowly to actually do much and most of them can still bounce or dodge your shots if properly angled. Meanwhile, if you attempt to bow tank or run yourself, you'll only have 1 turret with 3 bores each to fire at the enemy. Meaning that, while the enemy will be firing at you with (usually) 4-6 guns every 10 seconds or so, you'll only be able to fire at them with 3 every 22 seconds or so.

In a 1 on 1, Duca will likely win, unless the Graff gets in close and/or gets into an advantageous position, or (at the least) be more enjoyable over the long run.

Graff isn't bad and it's one of the few cruisers that can put a hurt on even a BB with it's AP at tier 6, but again, it depends on "certain" situations to play out more than Duca would.

Edited by Levits

[RST]
Members
181 posts
19,493 battles
On 6/6/2018 at 3:04 PM, Iron_Salvo921 said:

I'm thinking about getting a new premium ship soon and i've narrowed it down to either Graf Spee or Duca Da Aosta. I'm more of a BB guy which is why i'm leaning toward Graf Spee but I like fast reloading guns and that I would think is more Duca Da Aosta's area. What are your guys's opinion on the two ships?

My favorite choice over the 2 is the Graf Spee. Has strong guns (long reload time. See sharnhourst guns) and great firing arch on torpedoes when you can use them. 

Though Duca is more a classic cruiser that you would be used to playing. 

That is the basic. Graf is a challenge ship of the 2. 

[WOLF3]
Members
1,624 posts
6,237 battles

The Spee has Scharnhorst guns with near cruiser levels of dispersion and better damage.  They are pretty accurate at all ranges.  She will rely on her excellent alpha strike instead of dpm.  You can set her up to be a fair anti air (self defense) cruiser.  She can sport either hydro or def fire aa.  Her slow gun reload (20 sec) hampers her ability to counter dds.  She is a cruiser killer.  She also has 8km torpedos with wicked firing arcs.  She is very dangerous in the right hands.  Once you learn her quirks, you can swap the german hydro in and get "up close and personal".  She is my most played ship and I really like her.  I don't recommend competitive play with her.  There are too many better choices for that.

I just purchased the Duca D'Aosta and have only had a few games in her so far, but I think she plays more like a standard cruiser.

Spee has a higher learning curve, but is a darned fine ship when you learn her.

cs

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

Between the two, I think Spee is the better ship, although I enjoy playing both.  D'Aosta...it's kind of meh.  I like it, it's fun to play, but I don't confuse that with being /good/.

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,272 battles

For some reason, I really enjoy tier 6 cruisers.  Spee is unique and a lot of fun to play.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,760 posts
9,365 battles

If you like historically accurate game play, Admiral Graf Spee:

5b25be505d58b_AL_AdimiralGrafSpee_v_HMS_Glowworm.png.14cf939bc8f5e5c6cdc013af314ad7e5.png

(Don't know anything about Duca)

Sign in to follow this