You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

How to play on Shards

10 comments in this topic

Members
2,331 posts
11,044 battles

I had an unfortunately typical game on Shards last night.  My team failed its way up North of C with 4 of our 5 BBs, surrendering map control over the all important B cap, and once the handful of enemies were dead up there, were too slow to get out or effect the battle any other way.  I see this incredibly often on this map.  So as part of my how to series figured I would start including some general how to play on certain maps where I see the general player base struggle.

I felt there were a lot of lessons to be learned on this game.

Our Minekaze tried to cap C broadside in the cap, possibly sitting in smoke and ends up getting torped right away.  DDs, watch how I approach the cap instead.  I dont actually go deep in the cap until I know I am safe from the Belfast's radar, and the Anshan is a one shot and has no torps to muck things up for me.

How to play Shards

I really would like to have a general discussion about this map.  Its constantly played wrong IMO.  What do you guys think about the map?

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
6,011 posts
10,144 battles

First rule, north spawn goes for BC, while south spawn shoots for AB.  Too many teams spend too much time going the long way to the farthest cap from them at the outset.

Members
3,783 posts

Always go for BC usually shards if I'm not mistaken A is the trap.  Yet a team can decide either AB or BC in that matter.  Each play on that map can have a completely different out come.  I've always been told go for B C.  Just like Islands of Ice.

Members
2,331 posts
11,044 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

First rule, north spawn goes for BC, while south spawn shoots for AB.  Too many teams spend too much time going the long way to the farthest cap from them at the outset.

Didnt even need to watch me rant in the video did you!

[TOG]
Members
3,272 posts
17,207 battles

You head for the nearest cap point normally in Shards if you're a DD. That means A/B if you spawned on the south side or B/C if you spawned on the north side. Too many folks normally lemming toward the far cap at the start and then stall when they find out it's occupied.

[-K-]
Members
6,011 posts
10,144 battles
5 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Didnt even need to watch me rant in the video did you!

Didn't even watch the video, to be honest....  :Smile_hiding:

Members
2,331 posts
11,044 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Didn't even watch the video, to be honest....  :Smile_hiding:

Well you are spot on IMO.  I was losing my mind on that game.  Kind of a good thing I had OBS muted on accident when I played it.

I really think most of the guys that run from B do it because they are scared.  Esp the BBs.  They seem more concerned with sailing rather than bullying the enemy.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Members
297 posts
2,405 battles

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai, how do you think cruisers should support destroyers on B? There isn't as much island cover, so it's tempting to stay farther back or go A/C instead. At the same time, I've found that staying <5km behind my destroyers allows me to get radar/hydro on B and push the enemy line back. It's paid off before, but only if the enemy BBs were already out of position. I'm wondering if this is unnecessarily risky.

Edited by yungpanda
spell check

Members
2,331 posts
11,044 battles
16 minutes ago, yungpanda said:

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai, how do you think cruisers should support destroyers on B? There isn't as much island cover, so it's tempting to stay farther back or go A/C instead. At the same time, I've found that staying <5km behind my destroyers allows me to get radar/hydro on B and push the enemy line back. It's paid off before, but only if the enemy BBs were already out of position. I'm wondering if this is unnecessarily risky.

The easy way if you are a radar CA is to get into island cover where your radar covers B cap.  Radar at the most opportune time.  Hopefully your DD can smoke shoot the enemy DD crippling him.  Once the DDs are crippled or dead you have more room to farm.  Some of the islands offer cover to fire over as well.  If you are a kiting CA like Martel, you just do your thing.

Unless you have a divisioned DD with you and you are planning to get smoke your plan is too risky IMO.

Going A and C is weak to an enemy going to adjacent caps in force.  One flank will be massively out numbers and gunned.  Further without much presence in the middle a strong push in the middle can flank both forces.

• Cool 1