You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Update 0.7.6 is the final nail in the coffin for high tier IJN Destroyers.

276 comments in this topic

Members
1,745 posts
11,091 battles

The following three light cruisers will get surveillance radar. This continues to make IJN DDs CE and Camo obsolete.  It increases the chances of being detected non stop throughout the battle unless playing very passive and using torps from 12 km +.  WG keeps messing with game balance. There are many players who invested quite a bit of time grinding their IJN DDs and captain skills only to have them indirectly nerfed. I think you will start seeing a shift in higher tiers with more BBs and cruisers and far less DDs. 

Below are the cruisers getting Radar.  We aren't sure whether the
Helena (Tier VII) gets it too. The update notes don't say. 

Cleveland (Tier VIII) - Radar
Seattle (Tier IX) - Radar
Worcester (Tier X) - Radar

Video by Flambass regarding how game is being effected with all the new radar ships.

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 11
  • Bad 7

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,370 battles

The nail were already deep in when the meta strongly favors knife fighting instead of torp slinging. Zero reason to play IJN DDs for "winning". Only reason to play IJN DD is to roll the slot machine and get that ding ding ding when torps occasionally hit.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

I thought cleveland already had surveillance radar. I'm pretty sure i've been radared several times by them.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,447 posts
11,433 battles

I don't know how much will change really, or how common those ships will be. Will people play Worcs instead of Zao, or Worcs instead of Des Moines?

There's already radar on Moskva and Des Moines, and sometimes Minotaur, people will still drive the radar-free Henri, Hindy and Zao.

Fairly frequently at high tiers you only see 3-4 cruisers, the proportion of them with radar may not change all that much.

• Cool 4

Members
1,114 posts
5,917 battles

I don't think WG plays their own game. 6 radar's per game is ridiculous.

Edit: 6 radars per team per game

Edited by Ajax_the_Great1
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,762 posts
4,376 battles

Cleveland already has radar. The others have been stated to have it from the device blog months ago.

I fail to see how this kills them once and for all.

• Cool 1

Members
1,001 posts
12,743 battles

Heck half the time getting close  to caps to use radar gets you killed quickly. So don't think those ships are easy to play or a I win button.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,034 posts
4,562 battles
19 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

The following three light cruisers will get surveillance radar. This continues to make IJN DDs CE and Camo obsolete.  It increases the chances of being detected non stop throughout the battle unless playing very passive and using torps from 12 km +.  WG keeps messing with game balance. There are many players who invested quite a bit of time grinding their IJN DDs and captain skills only to have them indirectly nerfed. I think you will start seeing a shift in higher tiers with more BBs and cruisers and far less DDs. 

5 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

I thought cleveland already had surveillance radar. I'm pretty sure i've been radared several times by them.

Aye. The tier 8 Cleveland already has the option to take 9 km surveillance radar, which is active for 30 seconds or a spotting aircraft in one of her consumable slots. In 0.7.5 New Orleans lost her radar when she was down tiered to from 8 to 7, but the new tier 9 heavy cruiser, Buffalo, also has radar.

It has been known for a while now that in 0.7.6, it is likely that just the tier 9 Seattle and tier 10 Worcester will also have radar.

[HAG]
Beta Testers
364 posts
5,053 battles

Radar is most useful mid - late game I find

[USCC2]
Members
4,714 posts
16 minutes ago, mofton said:

I don't know how much will change really, or how common those ships will be. Will people play Worcs instead of Zao, or Worcs instead of Des Moines?

There's already radar on Moskva and Des Moines, and sometimes Minotaur, people will still drive the radar-free Henri, Hindy and Zao.

Fairly frequently at high tiers you only see 3-4 cruisers, the proportion of them with radar may not change all that much.

Of course the new CA line means you will see more of them about (radar), but for me on what I've experienced the last few days, I think the game has lost it's 'fun factor' at higher tiers.

Again, this only pertains to me, but I play DDs and I play Co-Op. Facing a team of 8 that consists of 3x Cleveland, 1x Des Moines , a Missouri and a CV completely shuts down your ability to add anything to a match, I throw torps out when I can, I spot when I can. Torp average hit rates are 6-10% and my smoke has become something I have to save for me. If I try to go into cap the inevitable rush of bots means I am harassed out of the cap zone and if spotted by an enemy DD or radar I am chased. Yep, chased out of the cap by the lemming train of bots that must kill the DD. Sad thing is that this becomes my greatest contribution to the game - while the bots chase me, the rest of my team have a worry free turkey shoot whilst they sail into the cap lol.

I did enjoy the game whilst it lasted, but for me I think it has squeezed my preferred play mode/ship type to the side. That's the way it goes and I am sure there will be plenty more that will benefit from the changes. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
475 posts

I play a lot of IJN DDs, and, while there are more radar cruisers out there, I haven't run into huge amount of trouble without screwing up on my end first. Cruisers tend to have a radar range right around their max concealment, so I can spot them by sitting around their max range. Seeing a radar cruiser immediately makes me rethink how I am positioning myself.

I wish that WG would decrease the torpedo acquisition a little bit. It doesn't have to be DWT range, but a couple of hundred meters would make IJN DDs more fun to play considering that we can't knife fight (unless you an Akizuki).

• Cool 2

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,386 posts
9,181 battles
24 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Wg so fat has restricted radar to +t8 ships excluding three [indi, Atlanta and Belfast.] At t8 radar only has a 20s use at best your gping overboard eith the assumption that a restricted on use consumable whose range at best is limited to the mother ships detection range outclasses your 100% duration cloaking device. 

Thr sky is not falling and your torpedoes still outrange radar.

Members
1,745 posts
11,091 battles
1 minute ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Of course the new CA line means you will see more of them about, but for me on what I've experienced, I think the game has lost it's 'fun factor'.

Again, this only pertains to me, but I play DDs and I play Co-Op. Facing a team of 8 that consists of 3x Cleveland, 1x Des Moines , a Missouri and a CV completely shuts down your ability to add anything to a match, I throw torps out when I can, I spot when I can. Torp average hit rates are 6-10% and my smoke has become something I have to save for me. If I try to go into cap the inevitable rush of bots means I am harassed out of the cap zone and if spotted by an enemy DD or radar I am chased. Yep, chased out of the cap by the lemming train of bots that must kill the DD. Sad thing is that this becomes my greatest contribution to the game - while the bots chase me, the rest of my team have a worry free turkey shoot whilst they sail into the cap lol.

I did enjoy the game whilst it lasted, but for me I think it has squeezed my preferred play mode/ship type to the side. That's the way it goes and I am sure there will be plenty more that will benefit from the changes. :Smile_honoring:

I totally agree. This game is nowhere as fun as it used to be when it comes to tiers 8+.  Typical battles are now smoke filled maps, Radar, and ships forced to play passively. Yawn.

Compare it to tier 5-7 matches it's a no brainer. I'm finding myself less interested in grinding or playing the high tiers. 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,644 posts
10,919 battles

Hey but at least we have too much Radar threads instead of too much torpedo threads on the forums. 

It has been refreshing.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[PVE]
Members
14,683 posts
9,298 battles
9 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

Aye. The tier 8 Cleveland already has the option to take 9 km surveillance radar, which is active for 30 seconds or a spotting aircraft in one of her consumable slots. In 0.7.5 New Orleans lost her radar when she was down tiered to from 8 to 7, but the new tier 9 heavy cruiser, Buffalo, also has radar.

It has been known for a while now that in 0.7.6, it is likely that just the tier 9 Seattle and tier 10 Worcester will also have radar.

Ninja'd

7 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Of course the new CA line means you will see more of them about (radar), but for me on what I've experienced the last few days, I think the game has lost it's 'fun factor' at higher tiers.

Bots have always chased DDs in PvE. Bots go for the lowest closest HP which is usually a DD.

[SQUAD]
Members
7,931 posts
8,327 battles

This has only been known for months, and yet, somehow you're just finding out. 

Gameplay will change exactly not at all. IJN DDs, all DDs, will be just as viable as they've always been. The sky is not falling. Etc, etc.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 3

[SEALZ]
Members
535 posts
5,800 battles

Just how many more nails are there going to be? Seems as though every patch is the “Final Nail” in the IJN DD Line’s coffin.

• Funny 4
  • Bad 1

Members
1,745 posts
11,091 battles
Just now, Usedcarjock said:

Just how many more nails are there going to be? Seems as though every patch is the “Final Nail” in the IJN DD Line’s coffin.

Yup. Just when you think they are done they keep changing the game for the worse. 

Best way to play a Shima these days is fire 15 torps at a cluster of ships 10+ km away and wait to see what you hit.  I'm finding that I'm running into Radar carrying cruisers and being detected more often because of all the smoke these days. I don't cap with it. Instead, I do some cautious recon from a distance and only close in to BBs once most of the radar cruisers have been thinned out near the end of the battle. 

It's hard to avoid radar ships when you can't see them and they turn on the radar.   

The game now favors high tier, long range, high velocity gunboats. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
3,062 posts
14,536 battles
36 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Below are the cruisers getting Radar.  We aren't sure whether the Helena (Tier VII) gets it too. The update notes don't say

The problem is "radar saturation". I agree its getting out of hand however I don't mind for one nation and one class having radar. Atm everyone has radar or hydro, every nation/every class has some sort of radar for which its dealing a blow to DD survival rates. I guess not including DDs at tier 9 and 10 is what people want. Knowing WOWS they will give the player base what the want but IMO that is ill advise. Yes I agree WOWS should stop discriminating against high tier DDs, but so far as the trends shows there is no turning back any time soon.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,268 posts
7,398 battles
38 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

We already knew those ships were going to have radar, how is this news?

DDrama Queens needed a new thread to whine in after the one got closed yesterday.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 2

[SBS]
Members
3,706 posts
2,408 battles
9 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Gameplay will change exactly not at all. IJN DDs, all DDs, will be just as viable as they've always been. The sky is not falling. Etc, etc.

How long will everything be fine if WG keeps making new ships with radar, giving old ships radar, and buffing existing ships with radar?  Two new RU radar cruisers, four new USN radar ships, buffing Indy's radar, and Groz getting radar.  There will be more radar in the game when all of these hit.  Will it break the game, probably not.  It will up the skill floor for DDs.  That can't continue without radically changing the game for DDs. 

DD players will have to adapt.

Edited by Slimeball91
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[DRACS]
Members
4,330 posts

People are overreacting. They'll be very popular when they are released ... and then the hype will die down when people notice how difficult it is to play high shell arc, short range, and super fragile ships with poor defensive capabilites.

Have you not noticed how very few people play radar Minotaur? They don't like dying.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Members
1,619 posts
13,750 battles

Have to say radar getting a bit silly, facing 4 to 7 radar capable boats in higher tier play.  Capping equals quick death lately for DDs, and have had a lot of boom or bust games.  

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1