Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kansas8990

NMX and other US BBs vs high DPS cruisers...how do I avoid looking like Hades from Disney's Hercules?

9 comments in this topic

[SUBVT]
Members
4 posts
456 battles

Hey all,

I've been working my way through the American BBs and I'm currently on the New Mexico. In general, I love it-as long as I sit between 10-16NM from the enemy fleet, take advantage of the pretty solid turning abilities of the class, and avoid DDs like the plague, I do pretty well for myself, especially given my skill level (I'm definitely never going to be posting YouTube how-to guides, but I'm also usually not bottom of the barrel either). However, this all changes when I get caught out by enemy cruisers with high DPS and a strong inclination to lob HE all over the place. I do try to stay with at least a few other ships (preferably at least one cruiser, one other BB, and whatever DDs there are that haven't gotten lit TF up yet), but when either my help all goes down, I get abandoned by the (much faster) fleet, or I over-extend myself, what's the best way to fend off high-DPS cruisers trying to Tommy-Gun me with HE?

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
7,944 battles

Blast them with American Piercing Shells if you can.

Positioning to prevent them from safely firing on to you without taking return fire would work.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,088 posts
7,090 battles

One of the first steps, which also applies for all the other BBs in this game, is to increase your survivability against fires.

There is a universal captain build that works in general on any ship. It goes as follows, in that order:

1. Priority Target or Preventive Maintenance, depends largerly on your personal preference what you pick.

2. Adrenaline Rush, you will take damage. It allows you to gain something out if it.

3. Basics of Survivability, it reduces fire duration and is a no-brainer

4. Concealment Expert, it allows you disengage more often if needed, heavily recommended

5. Fire Prevention, it will reduce the overall amount of fire damage you take significantly

6. Superintendent, you will gain another heal out of this and once you have played a ship often enough, you will also end up in the situation where you need the additional health more often.

7. Expert Marksman, no brainer

• Cool 2

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

Besides the tips given by Akeno017 and SireneRacker mine would be to get such a cruiser yourself. 

Try to do the same in a cruiser and you will quickly find its weak spots and pro's. From that you'll know what to do when in a battleship. I gradually moved through all class lines, except carriers, my way up. Not all nations, but all classes, just so that I can put most of the tips I found on the forum or with YouTube into practice, or from the games I got smacked.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,615 posts
3,603 battles

Spotter plane does wonders for shooting over islands at hidden cruisers (also helps at hitting ships firing from smoke). Target a little below where the shells tracers start from and blast away

That said otherwise either close on so they can't shoot over there island or sail away

Beta Testers
599 posts
5,423 battles

Good to see that you are asking for help here on the forums. There are few different ways to come out successful or better off against high-dpm cruisers. First tip of advice I can give is to make sure and use your damage and repair parties smartly. By this I mean only immediately repair two fires. Another tip is that if you can, avoid giving them broadside. This is very important because if you do, they will cut down your health very quickly. Unfortunately, the sad reality is that sometimes your gonna have to look like Hades to do well, its just a fact of playing battleships.

Members
120 posts
7,763 battles

Offensively, you can make a choice... and I know this may seem simplistic...

When it comes to a) destroying a cruiser, or b) doing serious damage to a battleship,  choose a. (Obviously it depends on quality of shot, but both being equal...)

I can't think of any reason why destroying an enemy ship isn't preferable to merely damaging another.  Remember, any ship that floats is a ship that can shoot.

[MOH]
Members
499 posts
1,880 battles
On 6/6/2018 at 11:49 PM, Radical_20 said:

Offensively, you can make a choice... and I know this may seem simplistic...

When it comes to a) destroying a cruiser, or b) doing serious damage to a battleship,  choose a. (Obviously it depends on quality of shot, but both being equal...)

I can't think of any reason why destroying an enemy ship isn't preferable to merely damaging another.  Remember, any ship that floats is a ship that can shoot.

Excellent advice.  And to add to that, for many BB players, your primary threat isn't so much other BBs, but anything that shoots torpedoes.  When you're playing the New Mexico, you actually do have the ability to knock out DDs pretty easily.

[SUBVT]
Members
4 posts
456 battles

Thanks, all, for the advice! Like an idiot, I didn't realize that the skills you earn on one ship with a captain carry over to the next ship you put him on, and I wanted to have a "better-trained" captain without spending actual money on more training, so I've just been getting a new captain with every ship like a barbarian lol. My NMX captain (the best one I have) has only 8 points, so most of these recommendations, I will have to wait on, but I will implement them as my captain has points available.

That said, with what I have now, would y'all recommend closing with high-DPS cruisers when practical? My thinking is, I can't outrun them, so there's no good way most of the time to open the range between us to one that's advantageous to me, and they're generally more accurate than me and more able to bob and weave through my shotgun blasts, so if I close the range, that will allow me to negate my high spread and the time they have to try to maneuver around my gunfire, plus, if I can close within 5k or so, I can bring my secondaries to bear and even the DPS a bit...does that make sense or am I just setting myself up for more frustration countering high-DPS cruisers?

Sign in to follow this