Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DDijk

Now that we have 'Heavy' Cruisers...

17 comments in this topic

Members
16 posts
2,616 battles

Shouldn't we consider making them vulnerable to the Asashio torps? Don't know if possible as they won't be differentiated as class, and also, the concept is more of weapons, functionality and armor discussion, as opposed to displacement and draft then anything else, and there are cruisers that technically should be vulnerable already.

Just food for thought.

Cheers, 

Dan

Edited by DDijk
grammar
  • Bad 2

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
7,944 battles

Nope.

Asashio design is terrible. Leave her as is to remind people why.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,158 battles
24 minutes ago, DDijk said:

Shouldn't we consider making them vulnerable to the Asashio torps? Don't know if possible as they won't be differentiated as class, and also, the concept is more of weapons, functionality and armor discussion, as opposed to displacement and draft then anything else, and there are cruisers that technically should be vulnerable already.

Just food for thought.

Cheers, 

Dan

Heavy as in guns, not draught. :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2

[WOLF6]
Members
601 posts
5,897 battles
5 hours ago, DDijk said:

Just food for thought.

Cheers, 

Dan

No , leave the POS as is .

• Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,022 posts
28,522 battles

Leave Asashio as-is, a gimmicky ship.

As per your title, you seem to be confused. We have had heavy cruisers (CA) from the beginning, starting with Furutaka at T5.

What has changed is that now we are getting a line of USN light cruisers (CL), moving Cleveland to T8 and awaiting to fill the USN CL line in the next patch.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

[BLUE_]
Members
424 posts
15,762 battles

First, if the ship is considered a light or heavy cruiser only the guns are taken in consideration to classify them.

Second, Asashio is a monstruosity that should have never existed and shouldn't be used to compare for game balance and more. I still plan to buy her anyways tho.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,097 posts
7,099 battles
1 hour ago, Akeno017 said:

Nope.

Asashio design is terrible. Leave her as is to remind people why.

Depends on how you play her. When I get mad at the backline camping BBs I play Asashio, because in the current state that can reach those players while the concealment increases the chance of them getting there undetected. I had several devstrikes against those basecampers, which could‘ve all been prevented if they actually moved with the team.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,960 posts
9,268 battles

I would say yes, if only it were guaranteed that it would mean I see more of  the ash heaps in game when in my BB's - haven't harvested nearly enough salt from the ones who think they should obliterate my BB's cause that's supposed to be it's thing. 

[SBS]
Members
3,695 posts
2,408 battles

I'm sort of wondering in the OP means battle cruisers.  In that case I think the Asashio should be able to hit them.  That would be a tough one to sort out because the new Russian battle cruisers are cruisers in game so it would be confusing.  Personally I think the Asashio's torps should be draft based, making the large displacement cruisers able to be hit.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,158 battles
4 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm sort of wondering in the OP means battle cruisers.  In that case I think the Asashio should be able to hit them.  That would be a tough one to sort out because the new Russian battle cruisers are cruisers in game so it would be confusing.  Personally I think the Asashio's torps should be draft based, making the large displacement cruisers able to be hit.

Not working as intended ? Japanese DD players always cry "My boat is broken. WG, please buff, so it can be OP" :cap_haloween::Smile_facepalm:

Edited by Crusin_Custard

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
7,944 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

Depends on how you play her. When I get mad at the backline camping BBs I play Asashio, because in the current state that can reach those players while the concealment increases the chance of them getting there undetected. I had several devstrikes against those basecampers, which could‘ve all been prevented if they actually moved with the team.

Asashio counters battleships too hard in some, is completely useless in others. She isn't very interactive for both sides, reducing any fun of the game for the ship and her targets. This is a horribly flawed design no matter how it performs statistically.

• Boring 1

Members
16 posts
2,616 battles
2 hours ago, alexf24 said:

Leave Asashio as-is, a gimmicky ship.

As per your title, you seem to be confused. We have had heavy cruisers (CA) from the beginning, starting with Furutaka at T5.

What has changed is that now we are getting a line of USN light cruisers (CL), moving Cleveland to T8 and awaiting to fill the USN CL line in the next patch.

You are of course right, I made a misleading title post, my apologies. I hope however the content of the message could be understood, I disagree though that it is a gimmicky ship, I find it interesting, and honestly am of no opinion presently defined if what I proposed should be the right move.

My intention was just to spark an interesting discussion.

41 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Yes and no. Battlecruiser should definitely be able to be targeted but it is somewhat of a difficult proposition, WG already stated that it does not want to introduce a Battlecruiser line or type of ship anyway. In game some that IRL were qualified as battlecruisers are in the BB line some in the Cruiser line. Mostly though they're already in the BB line, so I wouldn't see any difference.

I was indeed talking about introducing a mechanic where some ships classified as heavy cruisers could be targeted, until I was duly corrected that I made a mistake with the title of the post. 

For example, if the Cruiser Alaska was to be introduced, would it be as Cruiser or Battleship?

36 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Not working as intended ? Japanese DD players always cry "My boat is broken. WG, please buff, so it can be OP" :cap_haloween::Smile_facepalm:

I believe the Asashio works just as it is intended, I find it fun, and actually in a game with heavier ships it can already be a bit OP. Japanese DDs IMHO are one the best in all aspects,, well except in knife fighting, but I'm not gonna advocate better performing guns for them ever.

2 hours ago, Cpt_JM_Nascimento said:

First, if the ship is considered a light or heavy cruiser only the guns are taken in consideration to classify them.

Second, Asashio is a monstruosity that should have never existed and shouldn't be used to compare for game balance and more. I still plan to buy her anyways tho.

Not quite, draft and displacement are also important factors in determining ship classes and that specifically is what should determine whether it can be hit by said torps.That was just the basis for my argument. I don't think in the currently mechanics it is a feasible introduction.

Still I think it might be fun. like I said, just meant to spark the discussion.

Cheers all,

Dan.

Beta Testers
4,292 posts

I love the Asashio but leave her as she is. Having those torps hit cruisers would be detrimental to game balance. She performs just fine even when there's not many BBs if you're worth two cents as a player and know a thing or two about teamplay.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,097 posts
7,099 battles
56 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Asashio counters battleships too hard in some, is completely useless in others. She isn't very interactive for both sides, reducing any fun of the game for the ship and her targets. This is a horribly flawed design no matter how it performs statistically.

I just use her to punish the camping BBs, because usually the ones playing smart make it more difficult to land Torps. 

[ARGSY]
Members
9,514 posts
6,238 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

Personally I think the Asashio's torps should be draft based

They tried that with the Pan-Asian main line and gave up. Don't expect them to go back there again.

As for battlecruisers, if we had an actual battlecruiser line they would go in with the battleships. The Kron and Stalingrad are... well, they are battlecruisers by WW1 standards, but they fall short by the standards prevailing by the end of the Second World War.

• Cool 1

Members
16 posts
2,616 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They tried that with the Pan-Asian main line and gave up. Don't expect them to go back there again.

As for battlecruisers, if we had an actual battlecruiser line they would go in with the battleships. The Kron and Stalingrad are... well, they are battlecruisers by WW1 standards, but they fall short by the standards prevailing by the end of the Second World War.

Ah, I didn't know they had already tried, or I wouldn't have posted anything. I just wanted to see a discussion about it and hope to not turn acrimonious (which happily it didn't). Anyway thanks for the info.

Cheers.

Dan 

Sign in to follow this