You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Styrkyr

Need Alsace Advice

4 comments in this topic

[KSD]
[KSD]
Members
117 posts
6,877 battles

o7 all,

I'm looking to get some advice on how to use the Alsace. I'll start by saying that I free-XP'd to the Richeliu, and that was an amazing BB. I'm primarily a BB player, and the Rich fit me like a glove. I did great with it, had a great WR, did great damage, the ship was GREAT. Then I upgraded to the Alsace. I've got the upgraded engines and fire control on it, but don't have the B hull yet. I can not get the hang of this ship. I struggle to break 75k damage, when 125k-150k is my average. I feel like the guns have taken a MAJOR accuracy and penetration hit. Even going up against broadside cruisers I can't citadel them. I'm running a full secondary build, and my typical playstyle is to go nose in and angle against BB's. But HE does an unholy amount of damage, and that seems to be the meta at the moment. I know I'm not a bad player, my stats show it, but I just flat out suck with this thing. If anyone could give me any advice on how not to suck in this thing, I would appreciate it. Stats are below.

1-Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1

2-Damage Control Modification Mod 1

3-Secondary Battery Mod 2

4-Steering Gears Mod 2

5-Concealment System Mod 1

6-Main Battery Mod 3

Captain Skills 15

Tier I - Preventative Maintence

Tier II - Adrenaline Rush, High Alert

Tier III - Basic Firing Training, Basics Of Survivability

Tier IV - Advanced Firing Training, Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament

[DPG]
Members
1,225 posts
5,584 battles

Get concealment expert on that thing and use the 12ish km detection to your advantage.  I'm obviously not the greatest Alsace driver but I find that the matches I do the best in are the ones where I make my presence known.  Don't yolo but don't try to snipe.  Take advantage of her secondaries and their decent fire chance.  You start hitting ships at 10km out with those and lighting them on fire, they tend to back off.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
24 minutes ago, Styrkyr said:

o7 all,

I'm looking to get some advice on how to use the Alsace. I'll start by saying that I free-XP'd to the Richeliu, and that was an amazing BB. I'm primarily a BB player, and the Rich fit me like a glove. I did great with it, had a great WR, did great damage, the ship was GREAT. Then I upgraded to the Alsace. I've got the upgraded engines and fire control on it, but don't have the B hull yet. I can not get the hang of this ship. I struggle to break 75k damage, when 125k-150k is my average. I feel like the guns have taken a MAJOR accuracy and penetration hit. Even going up against broadside cruisers I can't citadel them. I'm running a full secondary build, and my typical playstyle is to go nose in and angle against BB's. But HE does an unholy amount of damage, and that seems to be the meta at the moment. I know I'm not a bad player, my stats show it, but I just flat out suck with this thing. If anyone could give me any advice on how not to suck in this thing, I would appreciate it. Stats are below.

1-Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1

2-Damage Control Modification Mod 1

3-Secondary Battery Mod 2

4-Steering Gears Mod 2

5-Concealment System Mod 1

6-Main Battery Mod 3

Captain Skills 15

Tier I - Preventative Maintence

Tier II - Adrenaline Rush, High Alert

Tier III - Basic Firing Training, Basics Of Survivability

Tier IV - Advanced Firing Training, Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament

Your ship build looks good, a full secondary build can be very fun (and strong) on this ship as long as you position yourself properly. However I would change some of your captain skills.

1. Take Demo Expert instead of Basics of Survivability (BoS os only used on some specific DDs, it shouldnt be taken on anything else). You are going to be shooting a lot of HE with this ship, in fact it will probably be your main source of damage as both your main guns AND secondaries greatly benefit from it. Buff your fire chance as much as possible.

2. Take Expert Marksman instead of High Alert, the ship is a close range brawler, you need to be able to swing your guns easily while maneuvering.

As for the play-style, its all about positioning yourself properly. Dont ever try to fight head on against the main enemy thrust of the opposing team, you dont have the armor for it. Try to estimate from the minimap where you can utilize island cover to mask your approach. Ideally you want to fight 1-2 enemy ships at a time, and you want to have them push you (not the other way around). Kiting CAs/CLs can burn you down pretty easily since your AP cant overmatch most of the opposition. You have horrible concealment and soft armor, you certainly dont want to have fires set on you as you are approaching the enemy so approach island cover without exposing yourself to the enemy line of sight. Any ship pushing near a island-concealed Alsace is in for a world of hurt, as the number of fires he will suffer is brutal.

You want to be shooting HE during the first half of the match as your AP is too weak and lacks penetration at medium/long range. Dont shoot AP unless you are looking at perfect broadside of a target. With 20-30 degree angling you can negate enemy AP effectively while bringing most of your secondaries to bear. 1 on 1 against an enemy BB, you want to be within 11km and burning him down with HE. If you have demo, HE and secondaries on him - he will have 2-3 perma fires on him as long as he stays within secondary range. Ships like Iowa, Missouri, Izumo, Freddy stand no chance against you when they are within your secondary range. If he tries to U-turn and bail, switch to AP and aim for the citadel. Do NOT present your broadside, always stay at 20-30 degree angle in respect to your opponent.

Whether you live or die will matter on how you positioned yourself, if you bite off more than you can chew you will die very quickly. 1 on 1 a secondary-specced Alsace has a significant advantage over pretty much all enemy ships of its tier, the main goal for you is to create those 1 on 1 opportunities. You dont want to be fire spammed by 2 Kutuzovs if you are trying to brawl with an Iowa. The whole reason for using island cover is for you to have the ability to pick and chose which enemy ships to expose yourself to and to which hide from. An island covered Alsace is very difficult to dislodge. In open water on the other hand, you become a punching bag for long range HE spamming cruisers and BBs.

Edited by Ulthwey
  • Cool 1

[KSD]
[KSD]
Members
117 posts
6,877 battles

Ah, that sheds a lot of light on what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to play it more like a FDG, pushing in bow on and in turn getting focused by everything. I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks Ulthwey.