You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gamegunner

if a new ship tree was added, what whould it be?

86 comments in this topic

Members
768 posts
18,340 battles

This sort question comes up from time to time and my answer is always the same.

A tree dedicated to minor nations.

There were a number of nations besides the major ones that possessed a small navy. Some of them, like Turkey, Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, Poland, Greece, Spain even Sweden and more have a selection of ships suitable for WoWs tech trees. I'm not even including the likes of Australia, South Africa and Canada because they have their own tree (Commonwealth) though it can be argued that they can be merged with this one.

I know for a fact that there are a lot of people who are warm to this idea.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,502 posts
14,121 battles
23 minutes ago, Gamegunner said:

Here’s a tech tree that’s probably going to be used for the Italian battleships

tier 3-Ammiraglio di Saint Bon class

tier 4-Regina Margherita class

tier 5-Regina Elena class

tier 6-Dante Alighieri

tier 7-Conte di Cavour class

tier 8-Andrea Doria class

tier 9-Francesco Caracciolo class

tier 10-Littorio class

the problem I saw in these ships is that the ships of the Italian navy were a tad bit underpowered compared to other navies due to these ships not having enough funding.

Probably not, you've just stretched ships chronologically.

The Roma is a Litorrio class and she's T8 so logically the Litorrio will be T8. The Guilio Cesare is in game as a Conte di Cavour class which means that class is likely to be T5.

The built Cavour and Doria classes will either cover T4-T5 or maybe T5-T6 with Caracciolo possibly above them. Dante's somewhere between a T3 and a T4. The top tiers will be paper just like Germany.

24 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Wasn't it in a Q&A that they say the Germans will only get the GZ (if yhe ever make it to the shop again)

Bet for most players at reddit is glorious VMF BB and they will be announched at the GamesCon this summer in Cologne. Which will be as much paper designs at T6+ as a German CV line.

Since they still have problems to fix the new HMS / RCN premium DD I wouldn't bet on the Royal Navy destroyers.

The Cossack/Haida are quite different designs from most of the other RN destroyers - most RN ships will be more like Gallant and similar in ways to the USN DD with a relatively heavy torpedo load.

The Tribal class are a bit of an outlier and WG haven't necessarily started from the best place on them. Gallant was relatively trouble free to balance in my recollection.

Either way I'm not holding my breath, the rest of the year looks like IJN DD split, RU BB (which at least have some supporting leaks) and promises of an Italian line.

[UFFA]
Members
2,068 posts
75 battles
4 hours ago, Gamegunner said:

Here’s a tech tree that’s probably going to be used for the Italian battleships

tier 3-Ammiraglio di Saint Bon class

tier 4-Regina Margherita class

tier 5-Regina Elena class

tier 6-Dante Alighieri

tier 7-Conte di Cavour class

tier 8-Andrea Doria class

tier 9-Francesco Caracciolo class

tier 10-Littorio class

the problem I saw in these ships is that the ships of the Italian navy were a tad bit underpowered compared to other navies due to these ships not having enough funding.

giphy.gif

[DEUT]
[DEUT]
Members
93 posts
926 battles
On 08/06/2018 at 10:21 PM, Umikami said:

Dude, I hope this is sarcasm; half the Russian tech tree are paper ships which Wargaming just "made up", and the German tech tree is chock full of either paper ships or existing ships which have been "paper balanced" in order to fit the tier they occupy. If this game had to rely on ships that were actually built and fought there would be gaping holes in every line.

This is not sarcasm. I see on your profile it says “drinking heavily” is a thing you like, so... joke’s on you, I guess. Just don’t be so pushy next time.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,282 posts
18,461 battles
1 hour ago, GermanGamer7 said:

This is not sarcasm. I see on your profile it says “drinking heavily” is a thing you like, so... joke’s on you, I guess. Just don’t be so pushy next time.

If that truly isn't sarcasm then the joke is really on you; WoW has been putting paper ships in national lines since CBT, and probably before. The German carriers would only be the latest in an ever growing list of paper ships in the game, a list so long, in fact, that several players have posted spread sheets showing which ships were real and actually built and sailed, and which were started but not completed, and which were just plain made up.

I don't know exactly where they got Alsace from, but I would imagine it came from the same place that the tier 9 and 10 German BBs came from as both of them are paper ships. And as far as the German CVs go, it would probably be better if they were premium ships; WoW would be better able to adjust them and their stats to properly fit the tiers they were placed in rather than trying to shoe-horn a made up ship into every tier from 4 to 10. Many of the proposed German CVs were to be converted liners, so their stats would be almost totally made up.

Not quite sure why you think I was pushy in my previous post, but everyone sees things differently.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
On 6/10/2018 at 1:47 PM, Umikami said:

If that truly isn't sarcasm then the joke is really on you; WoW has been putting paper ships in national lines since CBT, and probably before. The German carriers would only be the latest in an ever growing list of paper ships in the game, a list so long, in fact, that several players have posted spread sheets showing which ships were real and actually built and sailed, and which were started but not completed, and which were just plain made up.

I don't know exactly where they got Alsace from, but I would imagine it came from the same place that the tier 9 and 10 German BBs came from as both of them are paper ships. And as far as the German CVs go, it would probably be better if they were premium ships; WoW would be better able to adjust them and their stats to properly fit the tiers they were placed in rather than trying to shoe-horn a made up ship into every tier from 4 to 10. Many of the proposed German CVs were to be converted liners, so their stats would be almost totally made up.

Not quite sure why you think I was pushy in my previous post, but everyone sees things differently.

I think Alsace was ordered and they drew up about as much of a preliminary design study for her as Yorck, so it's more "real" than ships like Hindenburg and Henri IV, but yeah, lots of paper in this game. And that totally makes sense. Ships are expensive and hard to build, so you don't get a lot of them and a lot more end up designed than finished or even laid down. I don't get why people get so worked up about "paper" ships anyway. Yes, I can get giving priority to ships that actually sailed, but if there's a gap that needs filling to complete a line, or a detailed concept that was never completed but could be fun to play then why not use it?

Also, just as an aside, I personally classify ships in-game that didn't sail into three different categories: Steel (laid down and mostly built, but converted or not finished. See: Amagi, Ibuki), paper (detailed designs drawn but minimal work done at most. See: Montana, Lion), and vapor (minimal design work done if any, WG made most of it up. See: Alsace, Harugumo, Yorck).

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,282 posts
18,461 battles
5 hours ago, Landsraad said:

I don't get why people get so worked up about "paper" ships anyway.

I don't know why others get worked up about paper ships, but I do know why I do: they have no "proven" stats, just the ones that the designers were aiming for. Many Ships that were built had design stats that were no way reflective of the actual performance the ship eventually enjoyed. Stalingrad and Kronstadt are just the latest examples, along with Khab, which performance wise is just about as real as the flying sub on "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea". While I know the developers use artistic license like a magic wand to balance even the real ships within the game, the paper ones we have are prone to getting absolute fantasy abilities. 

[RLBAD]
[RLBAD]
Members
69 posts
2,016 battles

Maybe WG will add a new ship tree. Dolphin carriers are most likely, even though it sounds weird. Battlecruisers will also be likely. 

[SIDE]
Members
4,008 posts

Mexi-Columbian

small, light, composite construction,  very fast, small caliber with high rate of fire but low penetration against armor, indistinguishable from recreational watercraft of the era, excellent night operational capabilities. Bonus feature: immune to radar during rough seas and have enormous smoke clouds with long duration and a hallucinogenic effect on red boats that enter them.

Edited by thebigblue

[TDRB]
Members
4,442 posts
12,602 battles

At some time I would expect British heavy cruisers. The Norfolk & Suffolk played a role in the sinking of the Bismark. The HMAS Canberra, sunk at the Battle of Salvo Island in 1942,  was honored when FDR had the under construction USS Pittsburgh renamed to USS Canberra. The only US warship to be named after a foreign city/warship so there is some history for these cruisers.