You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Iron_Salvo921

Battleship main armament AA shells

19 comments in this topic

[UTWE]
Members
228 posts
3,064 battles

I don't know about other navies but I know that the Japanese used shells that exploded 1 second after firing as a AA defense that could be fired from a battleship's main armament. I think it would be cool to see a third shell type added in WoWs. Since these would be very hard to use they could make it so they exploded 4-5 seconds after firing. I want to hear other peoples opinions, am I the only person that wants to see these?

[SPTR]
Members
2,186 posts
1,022 battles

it's been discussed, but it was so useless IRL that we probably won't see it. Then again, HMS Hood is a thing, so you never know. @LittleWhiteMouse, can you offer some insight?

• Bad 1

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,938 posts
9,860 battles
1 minute ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

I don't know about other navies but I know that the Japanese used shells that exploded 1 second after firing as a AA defense that could be fired from a battleship's main armament. I think it would be cool to see a third shell type added in WoWs. Since these would be very hard to use they could make it so they exploded 4-5 seconds after firing. I want to hear other peoples opinions, am I the only person that wants to see these?

If they did add the Type 3 ("beehive") shells, I think it would be treated as normal AA. Low DPS, but with a long maximum range. Even so, as far as I know they don't plan to implement this. 

Many Japanese ships used such shells as they were produced for guns from 127mm all the way up to 460mm.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,817 posts
8,346 battles

There's nothing stopping Wargaming enabling main battery mounts as dual-purpose mounts.  There's a lot of higher tiered ships (mostly destroyers, but a few cruisers too) which do this.  The largest caliber main battery gun that's also an AA Gun in the game right now I believe is 152mm off ships like De Grasse, Minotaur and Worcester.  There's unfortunately no "active" aiming on the player's part.  It's all handled auto-magically like all AA is.  Your involvement begins with making sure your AA guns aren't disabled, right clicking a target squadron for more DPS and maybe activating Defensive AA Fire if you have it.

[UTWE]
Members
228 posts
3,064 battles
5 minutes ago, Prinz_Eugen_Kai_Ni said:

it's been discussed, but it was so useless IRL that we probably won't see it. Then again, HMS Hood is a thing, so you never know. @LittleWhiteMouse, can you offer some insight?

HMS Hood was a vary useful ship, only reason it was sunk was because she didn't have good armour. The British didn't refit her because they couldn't afford for their MAIN CAPITAL SHIP to be out of action for so long.

[SPTR]
Members
2,186 posts
1,022 battles
3 minutes ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

HMS Hood was a vary useful ship, only reason it was sunk was because she didn't have good armour. The British didn't refit her because they couldn't afford for their MAIN CAPITAL SHIP to be out of action for so long.

I was talking about her rocket AA mounts...

Members
1,120 posts
95 battles

Yamato did have a Type 3 shell to use main guns for AA defense, but AFAIK it was tried a few times and found to be mostly useless.

[SQUAD]
Members
7,920 posts
8,324 battles
31 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

There's nothing stopping Wargaming enabling main battery mounts as dual-purpose mounts.  There's a lot of higher tiered ships (mostly destroyers, but a few cruisers too) which do this.  The largest caliber main battery gun that's also an AA Gun in the game right now I believe is 152mm off ships like De Grasse, Minotaur and Worcester.  There's unfortunately no "active" aiming on the player's part.  It's all handled auto-magically like all AA is.  Your involvement begins with making sure your AA guns aren't disabled, right clicking a target squadron for more DPS and maybe activating Defensive AA Fire if you have it.

Not to go all off topic, but how's the review for Monaghan coming? :)

[WG-CC]
9,817 posts
8,346 battles
5 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Not to go all off topic, but how's the review for Monaghan coming? :)

It was going well until my fever spiked last night.

[SQUAD]
Members
7,920 posts
8,324 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Oh no...:(

I truly hope you feel better and get well soon. <3

[SPTR]
Members
2,186 posts
1,022 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Oh no!!!! Quick bring the instant repair buckets!

[WG-CC]
9,817 posts
8,346 battles

I have to watch the kiddlets tomorrow so I'm not likely to get anything more done on Monaghan today or tomorrow.  It's 90% written -- just graphics that need to be shoe horned in and a round of edits to make it passable.  Maybe I'll do them in crayon and just put up what I have.

[SPTR]
Members
2,186 posts
1,022 battles
Just now, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Maybe I'll do them in crayon and just put up what I have.

Please do. I need a bit of humor in my life rn...

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,867 posts
10,876 battles
28 minutes ago, geser98 said:

Yamato did have a Type 3 shell to use main guns for AA defense, but AFAIK it was tried a few times and found to be mostly useless.

To the best of my Knowledge, they were used exactly once, on Musashi, and it ruined the gun (The rounds had no bore safe system, and it prematured in the barrel). So, worse than useless, a lot like the RN's UPAA ironically.

[RLGN]
Members
9,764 posts
19,290 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I believe Des Moines and its sisters has VT fuse shells for their semi-automatic 203s.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
1,120 posts
95 battles
2 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

To the best of my Knowledge, they were used exactly once, on Musashi, and it ruined the gun (The rounds had no bore safe system, and it prematured in the barrel). So, worse than useless, a lot like the RN's UPAA ironically.

A bit more than that and for shore bombardment mostly. The problem for using it for AA was found that the blast disrupted the fire from other AA guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Shiki_(anti-aircraft_shell)#Operational_history

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,011 posts
15,854 battles
47 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

my fever spiked last night.

That stinks! Get Well Soon! 

44 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Maybe I'll do them in crayon and just put up what I have.

Have the kids do them; Remember the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Exploitation Starts at Home!

[UTWE]
Members
228 posts
3,064 battles
21 hours ago, Prinz_Eugen_Kai_Ni said:

I was talking about her rocket AA mounts...

O woops my bad ya those sucked.

[SPTR]
Members
2,186 posts
1,022 battles
2 hours ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

O woops my bad ya those sucked.

yeah, but in-game they're not bad. So it's hard to say what weegee will do...