Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Summon3r

Iron Duke guns?

13 comments in this topic

[CWGC]
Members
819 posts
2,607 battles

are these garbage or just a very bad morning of rng for me? full broadside new york 11km at a stand still, 6 AP shell hits and 5 break?!?! this scenario repeats itself for 3 salvos give or take a shell hit.

do i just HE in this thing?

[KNMSU]
Members
5,181 posts
5,424 battles

Unfortunately, like most tech tree tier 5 BBs, Iron Duke is pretty damned underwhelming... even when you're shooting the correct shell type.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Goeben

[CWGC]
Members
819 posts
2,607 battles
6 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Yup.  You're firing the wrong shell type.  Wait till you get to conqueror. :cap_haloween:

lol nice vid, thx

is this the same all the way through brit BB line?

[-BMV-]
Members
1,227 posts
5,805 battles

idk, I didn't have that problem with her. I did use HE more with her than other BB's I still used mostly AP on broadside targets and still got high damage salvos most of the time.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
8,966 battles
11 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Goeben said:

Unfortunately, like most tech tree tier 5 BBs, Iron Duke is pretty damned underwhelming... even when you're shooting the correct shell type.

Tech tree T5 BBs are awesome. Konig is a citadel machine, even T7 cruisers are easy prey. Iron Duke HE burns down the world, Bretagne and NY are solid performers even vs T7s. Learn the ships and you'll do fine.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,827 posts
3,574 battles
8 minutes ago, Summon3r said:

lol nice vid, thx

is this the same all the way through brit BB line?

Pretty much.  There are situations in which I swap to AP, (note: when the enemy has nothing but cruisers left at the end of the game)  but for the most part, bounces, breaks, overpens and the absence of fire damage undo any real benefit.

I mean, take the Conq for instance.  Yes, its AP can be devastating against the right target... but at the same time, you've got a 30 second or so reload.  When you swap shells, there's a very good chance that whatever was presenting broadside has noticed you and started angling.  And then you bounce.

That only has to happen so many times before you say "Nah, I'm good.  I'm just going to keep on chipping 10-20K chunks of HE damage out of you, while maintaining 3 or 4 fires, from pretty much any range and at pretty much any angle."  

[KNMSU]
Members
5,181 posts
5,424 battles
11 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

Tech tree T5 BBs are awesome. Konig is a citadel machine, even T7 cruisers are easy prey. Iron Duke HE burns down the world, Bretagne and NY are solid performers even vs T7s. Learn the ships and you'll do fine.

I don't need to learn anything, sport. Bretagne is a lumbering garbage scow, and NY isn't any major improvement. Kongo, while fast, has really bad gun accuracy, which is a shame, because she really should play more like a tier 5 Nagato, than a weak Fuso with 2/3rds the ordinance.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Goeben

[-VT3-]
Members
1,827 posts
3,574 battles
14 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Goeben said:

I don't need to learn anything, sport. Bretagne is a lumbering garbage scow, and NY isn't any major improvement. Kongo, while fast, has really bad gun accuracy, which is a shame, because she really should play more like a tier 5 Nagato, than a weak Fuso with 2/3rds the ordinance.

*Raises hand*  I really liked Bretagne, and would have kept it around if I didn't already have a Texas.

[CWGC]
Members
819 posts
2,607 battles
18 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Goeben said:

[edited]

[TASH]
Members
5,085 posts
9,029 battles

Well, British Battleships have several things with them.

• They have short-fuse AP, means your AP probably has less pen then you'd think.
  • On top of that, the krupp of T3-5 British Battleship AP is downright atrocious, being faulty AP from WW1.
  • The HE shells of British battleships have 1/4 HE pen, so Iron Duke's HE can pen 85mm of armor, while most nations have 1/6 HE penetration.  This amount of pen is enough to citadel most cruisers you see.  Not only that, but they also have ridiculous fire chances and massive blast radii.

[MOOW]
Members
276 posts
16,917 battles

As much as it pains me too say this..  Use HE on battleships that have thick side armor. British short fuse AP in lower tiers is situational.

Edited by Grapefruitcannon

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
8,966 battles
47 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Goeben said:

Sorry, the "learn" comment was more directed to the OP not you. I do disagree about the T5 ships though, they are decent ships and lots of fun IMHO.

Sign in to follow this