You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WulframWarrior

Two Tier battle spacing in Games

68 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
16 posts
5,996 battles

This topic has probably been discussed before, but i don't spend time in these Forums.

Why is there a majority of the battles where ships have a two tier separation???

Usually most of the time it is to my disadvantage having ships two tiers above me.

Cant the MM wait a few seconds longer and pair closer ship tiers?

It would be more entertaining to wait a bit longer to have closer matches, than just thrown together quicker and get blown up faster by higher ranked ships???

I quit World Tanks because of their three level separation in battles.

This is happening more frequent in World Ships lately and is why I'm posting this.

Thanks....

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,877 posts
13,869 battles

It has been discussed basically every week since three years ago. The answer is unchanged: WG doesn't think it's a problem and will not change it.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
8,966 battles
3 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

It has been discussed basically every week since three years ago. The answer is unchanged: WG doesn't think it's a problem and will not change it.

WG says "Enjoy your space battles and anime while we ignore your real concerns and issues with the game"

Edited by KalishniKat
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,728 posts
4,604 battles

I like the two tier separation.

When I am top tier, I have the advantage, and there for benefit.

When I am lowest tier, I am at a disadvantage, yet still benefit.

How can I benefit from both? It's easy, A tier 8 against a tier 6, is easy. While, Tier 8 against a tier 10, means more experience. Yeah, you get more experience and credits, for damaging ships of a higher tier than you.

• Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,966 posts
6,219 battles

Learn to take the challenge. Otherwise how do you get through life? In other words, deal with it.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
8,966 battles

I don't mind the 2 tier difference in moderation. Unfortunately, you often are bottom tier far more than top tier and often when you are bottom tier it's you and one other bottom tier ship in a sea of ships 2 tiers higher. A little balance to the MM and +2 could work a lot better. 

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,783 posts
10,788 battles
7 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

It used to be 3 tiers. Langley vs Atlanta was insane.

We also waited five minutes for a match even with that tier spread.

3 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

I like the two tier separation.

When I am top tier, I have the advantage, and there for benefit.

When I am lowest tier, I am at a disadvantage, yet still benefit.

How can I benefit from both? It's easy, A tier 8 against a tier 6, is easy. While, Tier 8 against a tier 10, means more experience. Yeah, you get more experience and credits, for damaging ships of a higher tier than you.

This, with few exceptions every ship can do fine against a two tier higher ship when played correctly.

[NWNG]
Members
2,728 posts
4,604 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This, with few exceptions every ship can do fine against a two tier higher ship when played correctly.

Few exceptions indeed. Mutsuki (in my opinion), being one of those ships that does poorly when uptiered.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,646 posts
10,958 battles

Variety of game play. The less the spread the more and more each battle becomes just like the last one. The tier spread is essential for variety. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,783 posts
10,788 battles
11 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Few exceptions indeed. Mutsuki (in my opinion), being one of those ships that does poorly when uptiered.

I was think more of the Emerald.

Members
1,003 posts
5,457 battles
20 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It's not that a ship can't do fine against two tiers higher. It's that it becomes exhausting and boring to have to do it again and again and again even if you are good enough to still be effective. Tier V is a nightmare these days. I can't imagine the experience of new players trying to get through it. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,966 posts
6,219 battles
1 minute ago, Rocketpacman said:

It's not that a ship can't do fine against two tiers higher. It's that it becomes exhausting and boring to have to do it again and again and again even if you are good enough to still be effective. Tier V is a nightmare these days. I can't imagine the experience of new players trying to get through it. 

Tier V has always been a nightmare. That is the tier where you learn that you will either kill everything or get killed by everything. That is how the game goes.

• Cool 1

Members
1,003 posts
5,457 battles
Just now, Vangm94 said:

Tier V has always been a nightmare. That is the tier where you learn that you will either kill everything or get killed by everything. That is how the game goes.

It wasn't bad at all before WG introduced protected matchmaking for the lower tiers. 

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles
18 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It would be nice if they focused on those exceptions a bit more.

One of the nice things about this game is that literally any ship can sink literally any other ship, and there are a lot of ships that can handle things way over their tier. An angled Kongo can bounce rounds from a Yamato (for example), and those 4 14” guns are enough to hit the Yamato’s citadel at the right range. I was even comfortable bringing that Kongo into tier 8 fights back when those could happen. 

The problem is that not every ship is equally able to fight up, and I think WG ought to pay more attention not just to how ship’s match against their tier, but how they match against higher tiers. 

Generally, tier 8 cruisers seem to have it worst, because they work in the same environment as tier 9 and 10 cruisers, but without a Repair Party. 

[NWNG]
Members
2,728 posts
4,604 battles
1 minute ago, Vangm94 said:

Minekaze being an exception to this, in which she is capable of out running everything.

[NWNG]
Members
2,728 posts
4,604 battles
1 minute ago, inktomi19d said:

Emerald was freaking horrible.

UK Cruiser right? Just looking at her stats, I'm not looking forward to her, when I start down the UK Cruiser line.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,966 posts
6,219 battles
1 minute ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Minekaze being an exception to this, in which she is capable of out running everything.

Playing bottom-tier has its advantages. It's just a matter of using them.

Example:

• Faster Torpedo Reload

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles
3 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

UK Cruiser right? Just looking at her stats, I'm not looking forward to her, when I start down the UK Cruiser line.

Yeah. I think she might have been buffed since I played her last, but she had crap guns and crap armor. I believe she’s one of he ships which is citadeled by 12” HE. I’m pretty sure I hated other stuff too, but my mind is blocking it out. Leander (tier 6) is nice though. 

Edited by inktomi19d

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,966 posts
6,219 battles
Just now, inktomi19d said:

Yeah. I think she might have been buffed since I played her last, but she had crap guns and crap armor. I’m pretty sure I hated other stuff too, but my mind is blocking it out. Leander (tier 6) is nice though. 

You can pen Emerald just by looking at her.

Members
17 posts
13,734 battles

I for one hate the two tier spread.  The worst tier to play regarding this isn’t t 5, its tier 8.  a tier 5 dealing with tier 7 does not have to deal with much radar yet.  The cncealment upgrade is also not available yet.  I mostly play dd,s and find tier 8 to be miserable.  Tier 10 players will never be uptiered so they skew the mm to being the most common ships top tier for a tier 8 ship.  Radar is in nearly every match now. With its ability to see thru islands, cruisers wait till a cap starts getting taken while safely behind an island.  they pop their radar and you get focused from ships firing at you from outside of your gun and torp range.

I wish they had protected mm for the top tier as well ie; tier 10 plays only 9 and 10.

It also seems to me that the capability progression is linear as you climb the tiers untill you hit tier 9 where the ships get so much more potent with access to many more upgrade slot.

Occasionally, I get the descent game at tier 8 but those are pretty rare.