Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Filthy_Pelican

Cruisers make you play smarter

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

170
[-BRS-]
Members
494 posts
21,388 battles

So I see a lot of complaining on this board about radar and cruisers and on and on. This has no effect but to make you play smarter. I enjoy playing BBs and DDs. and DDs I have been playing my Asashio in particular. I have to think to get to where I need to be and once I have the other team's battleships running or sinking my team tends to win. Adjust your gameplay and you will be fine. Know who has radar and stay out of radar range. Learn to lead with torps and don't fire a huge spread of torps unless you know they will hit. I did this in my last game last night up tiered into a T10 match, radar everywhere. Take your time and stalk your prey. 

Good Luck out there and I will see you soon! Hopefully in my sights!

stats.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles

Finally someone who gets it. Don’t worry I’m sure the anti radar society is going to start stomping on you anyway because they don’t care, they just want to whine and complain.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
126
[MKF]
Members
450 posts
16,436 battles
13 minutes ago, Filthy_Pelican said:

So I see a lot of complaining on this board about radar and cruisers and on and on. This has no effect but to make you play smarter. I enjoy playing BBs and DDs. and DDs I have been playing my Asashio in particular. I have to think to get to where I need to be and once I have the other team's battleships running or sinking my team tends to win. Adjust your gameplay and you will be fine. Know who has radar and stay out of radar range. Learn to lead with torps and don't fire a huge spread of torps unless you know they will hit. I did this in my last game last night up tiered into a T10 match, radar everywhere. Take your time and stalk your prey. 

Good Luck out there and I will see you soon! Hopefully in my sights!

stats.jpg

I enjoy playing BBs, DDs and cruisers these days. I found that once I became good with cruisers it really improved my play in those other two types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
428
[PLPT]
Members
929 posts
8,165 battles

Thanks for the introduction, LiaoXanLan. Anti-radar mafia here.

I agree with the general sentiment of trying to adjust and get better, but two points here:

1. Asashio has unusually long range, effective torps.  It’s pretty easy to avoid radar when you outrange it by 10k. That is not true for any other DD expect stock torpedo Shimakaze whose torps are easily spotted from Mars.

2. You’re not capping. Prepare to get yelled at by the anti-DD society who just wants to whine and complain :)

Do you have the same experience when trying to cap in an uptiered Kagero, basically the same class as Asashio but with normal torps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
567 posts
75 battles

Playing all ships make you play smarter.

Although, many players still need to find that little extra missing ingredient to play smarter:  self respect

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles
5 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Thanks for the introduction, LiaoXanLan. Anti-radar mafia here.

I agree with the general sentiment of trying to adjust and get better, but two points here:

1. Asashio has unusually long range, effective torps.  It’s pretty easy to avoid radar when you outrange it by 10k. That is not true for any other DD expect stock torpedo Shimakaze whose torps are easily spotted from Mars.

2. You’re not capping. Prepare to get yelled at by the anti-DD society who just wants to whine and complain :)

Do you have the same experience when trying to cap in an uptiered Kagero, basically the same class as Asashio but with normal torps?

Honestly I don’t care if a DD caps or not as long as they help contest the cap in some way. 

 

Played a match with a DD that didnt want to spot for me because of radar but I was completely cool with it, I knew it was up as well. Afterwards he dropped his smoke after radar went out and even spotted targets for me. I was a very happy cruiser. Of course it kind of didn’t initially helped that we both knew torps were coming our way but he did the most important job to contest the cap, which was spotting some targets for me to start blasting away and we still lost that game but it was a fun match. 

 

The way way we lost that match though was really silly. I think four of our ships blindly yolo to their deaths. Seriously I was wish this kind of behavior would stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
170
[-BRS-]
Members
494 posts
21,388 battles
36 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Thanks for the introduction, LiaoXanLan. Anti-radar mafia here.

I agree with the general sentiment of trying to adjust and get better, but two points here:

1. Asashio has unusually long range, effective torps.  It’s pretty easy to avoid radar when you outrange it by 10k. That is not true for any other DD expect stock torpedo Shimakaze whose torps are easily spotted from Mars.

2. You’re not capping. Prepare to get yelled at by the anti-DD society who just wants to whine and complain :)

Do you have the same experience when trying to cap in an uptiered Kagero, basically the same class as Asashio but with normal torps?

Just as a Point I am generally within 6-8 km of the ship I am going to torp in the Asashio. I gave up torp range for speed, I like to be fairly close to guarantee hits. then after they repair I wait 15 seconds and fire my next round then smoke and start fires then run. all in that order. Same strategy across all my dd lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,717
[SALVO]
Members
19,504 posts
19,640 battles
31 minutes ago, LiaoXanLan said:

Honestly I don’t care if a DD caps or not as long as they help contest the cap in some way. 

 

Played a match with a DD that didnt want to spot for me because of radar but I was completely cool with it, I knew it was up as well. Afterwards he dropped his smoke after radar went out and even spotted targets for me. I was a very happy cruiser. Of course it kind of didn’t initially helped that we both knew torps were coming our way but he did the most important job to contest the cap, which was spotting some targets for me to start blasting away and we still lost that game but it was a fun match. 

 

The way way we lost that match though was really silly. I think four of our ships blindly yolo to their deaths. Seriously I was wish this kind of behavior would stop.

Liao, I think that it's kind of stupid for a DD (assuming that it was a stealthy DD, not something like a Khab) to not want to spot.  I can get not wanting to jump on a cap early in games out of fear of radar.  But that's no excuse for not trying to spot.  If you're a non-Russian DD and you're not capping or spotting or whatever, what the hell are you doing to help your team?  Non-Russian DDs need to be spotting.  Mind you, if you know that the enemies you're worried about are hiding behind islands, that doesn't mean that you have to get all stupid and charge around the corner of an island to spot said hidden radar cruiser.  I get that.  But it doesn't mean that you can't try to skirt around that island from around 10-11 km range to try to get a peek … maybe.

It's great that the DD in your example smoked you up and spotted.  But what was he doing while waiting for the enemy to use that radar?  Just waiting around for some other DD to bait the enemy into using the radar?  That seems a bit selfish to me.  What if another DD takes the same attitude of refusing to risk radar?  I'm not saying dive deep into radar range, but at some point you do have to take some calculated risks.  Or all you end up doing is being pushed away from the cap out of fear while the enemy DD that's not as fearful takes said cap unopposed or is at least baiting YOUR radar cruisers into using theirs first, and possibly giving the enemy team the initial edge.

 

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[RWBY]
Members
158 posts
1,771 battles
14 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Liao, I think that it's kind of stupid for a DD (assuming that it was a stealthy DD, not something like a Khab) to not want to spot.  I can get not wanting to jump on a cap early in games out of fear of radar.  But that's no excuse for not trying to spot.  If you're a non-Russian DD and you're not capping or spotting or whatever, what the hell are you doing to help your team?  Non-Russian DDs need to be spotting.  Mind you, if you know that the enemies you're worried about are hiding behind islands, that doesn't mean that you have to get all stupid and charge around the corner of an island to spot said hidden radar cruiser.  I get that.  But it doesn't mean that you can't try to skirt around that island from around 10-11 km range to try to get a peek … maybe.

It's great that the DD in your example smoked you up and spotted.  But what was he doing while waiting for the enemy to use that radar?  Just waiting around for some other DD to bait the enemy into using the radar?  That seems a bit selfish to me.  What if another DD takes the same attitude of refusing to risk radar?  I'm not saying dive deep into radar range, but at some point you do have to take some calculated risks.  Or all you end up doing is being pushed away from the cap out of fear while the enemy DD that's not as fearful takes said cap unopposed or is at least baiting YOUR radar cruisers into using theirs first, and possibly giving the enemy team the initial edge.

 

There was a Chapayev, a NC, a Baltimore, and I think a Fletcher and that Fletcher sent his torps for me. Unfortunately for me also meant he had to hide with me behind an island as well before he can drop his torps off at any unsuspecting capital ships (deep water torps) but he was playing it smart. The only reason why I even knew about the Fletcher was he was briefly spotted while dropping his torps.

 

Also, it wasn’t that he didn’t want to spot. There were metal fishes in the water and had no idea where they were dropped at even though he had a suspicion in which direction they were going. He made the right call (he smoked and then spot). However he never bugged out. He stuck around for me to shoot at 10km targets. Then we get pinged again in short order but the Baltimore decided to was ok to go broadside around an island and then thought better of it, and someone sunk him anyway. The whole situation initially just wasn’t ideal for the guy.

All in all that Fletcher really wanted me dead. He dropped his torps while I was still at the same island that I can quickly duck back into, the flank that red team was wiped out, and we still won the cap. Still lost the game though :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
109
[H-WS]
Members
324 posts
5,096 battles

I have no issues with radar itself, in fact I agree that it forces other ships to play smarter.  My only issue with Radar is a MM issue.  Radar isn’t taken into account when creating teams, and this leads to rather lopsided displacements of radar which can unbalance matches, especially in ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×