You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shenennigans

Firing after losing target lock

10 comments in this topic

[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,443 battles

I've heard that you retain the aiming/dispersion bonus you get from having a target locked for a moment after they drop detection, giving you a moment to fire after losing them, and not getting the blind fire scatter. I can't seem to find this confirmed anywhere though. Anyone know FOR SURE that this is a mechanic and how long that lasts? I think giving it that extra bit of time is huge when targeting a RN cruiser smoking up and such, but not if firing after they've faded loses accuracy.

Members
31 posts
537 battles

I don't know about that but I do know of 2 other options.

• Lock your guns while you can still see the target. They will stay fixed on that spot.
  • Use the mod that adds the little distance cross on the sight line. This allows you to use the minimap to range them.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,006 posts
7,993 battles

Once a player's ship that is locked on by an enemy ship disappears from sight for more than four seconds, the target lock will be removed from that ship. Previously, the target lock would remain on the ship until a different ship is locked on, and would not get removed from the player's ship even if after getting out of sight for a considerable amount of time.

From recent game update notes - https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/update-notes-main/

Members
899 posts
17,708 battles

I often fire on boats that have just disappeared, with success

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,783 posts
10,788 battles
32 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

I do too but when they are behind terrain the aim frustratingly changes immediately.

Members
899 posts
17,708 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

I do too but when they are behind terrain the aim frustratingly changes immediately.

Ah, yes.... firing behind terrain. I haven't got the knack (or the hack?) to be able to do that, even after thousands of games......

[REVY]
Members
1,190 posts
8,602 battles
1 hour ago, Shenennigans said:

I've heard that you retain the aiming/dispersion bonus you get from having a target locked for a moment after they drop detection, giving you a moment to fire after losing them, and not getting the blind fire scatter. I can't seem to find this confirmed anywhere though. Anyone know FOR SURE that this is a mechanic and how long that lasts? I think giving it that extra bit of time is huge when targeting a RN cruiser smoking up and such, but not if firing after they've faded loses accuracy.

1 hour ago, theLaalaa said:

27 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

When the target you are tracking vanishes, usually behind an island, you have about a second or two after before the game realizes you are not aiming at anything.

I've found you can still get those elusive behind terrain shots in before the game says 'hey, you are aiming at terrain'.

If done right, you can get a few hits in, to a few fires, and even a cit or two.

if done properly and the target is sunk, expect to receive some very salty comments and questions regarding the hacks you are using. :cap_tea:

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,783 posts
6,850 battles

There are a few seconds of aim lock after the target vanishes, even behind an island, for you to make the shot. At most 2 seconds.

[WOLF3]
Members
18,757 posts
17,087 battles

RN CLs are still vulnerable right when they disappear into smoke.  Especially since most come to a dead halt as soon as the smoke conceals them, so whatever aiming solution you had is still pretty good, just a slight tweak then unload on them.

[FATE]
Members
18 posts
3,377 battles

This is from the latest patch notes. Hope this helps answer your question. Link can be found from enderland07's post.

Once a player's ship that is locked on by an enemy ship disappears from sight for more than four seconds, the target lock will be removed from that ship. Previously, the target lock would remain on the ship until a different ship is locked on, and would not get removed from the player's ship even if after getting out of sight for a considerable amount of time.

Edited by Battlelust