Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FrodoFraggin

Changing ammo question

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

339
[EQRN]
Members
788 posts
10,620 battles

Say I’m shooting HE.  I fire a salvo and while reloading I select AP.  When I fire the current load of HE, sometimes I get a full salvo, sometimes only one turret.  It can happen whether I select the other ammo type early in the reload or late.  What is the pattern for guaranteeing a full salvo before changing ammo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
455
[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but make sure all guns are reloaded and on target before firing. Otherwise it will only fire the guns that are ready.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
339
[EQRN]
Members
788 posts
10,620 battles

The most recent instance was HE against a cruiser nose in, I knew he’d be turning so I select AP mid-reload and the next/last HE salvo is only one turret.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
346
[SUCIT]
Members
1,000 posts
4,079 battles
35 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Say I’m shooting HE.  I fire a salvo and while reloading I select AP.  When I fire the current load of HE, sometimes I get a full salvo, sometimes only one turret.  It can happen whether I select the other ammo type early in the reload or late.  What is the pattern for guaranteeing a full salvo before changing ammo?

If you switch which shell type you're loading before you actually fire the currently loaded shells, the game will automatically unload the rest of the guns to load the new ammo.  The way the game works, you cannot have different shell types loaded at the same time, so the second you fire the first shell out of the old salvo, the game unloads the old shell type and reloads with the new shell type.  

The only way to get around this is to either consciously switch the second you fire, or double tapping M1 to fire the full volley simultaneously.  Double tapping M1 does not work all of the time though.   

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
314
[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,840 posts
4,849 battles

When another shell type is in queue and you fire, you will fire whatever gun you can fire and load that shell for the next salvo.

Either be aware of this or have all possible guns ready to fire before changing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,443 battles

If you have HE in the barrel, and select AP, the next time you click it will either fire or unload each turret to load the AP. There are a couple of reasons you will see a single turret fire, but the most common (that I do to myself all the time) is this. When you fired the previous HE salvo, you double clicked to fire all turrets. Well one turret fires when you click, then the rest of your turrets fire on the double click. If you are spamming the fire button as it's reloading, you will catch it the moment the first turret reloads, and the others will be dumped to load the other shells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
918 posts
9,442 battles

Hard to put in words, but LemonadeWarrior has all the info really concise. 

If you don't understand the nuance, play with it in the training room.

My attempt, select the ammo to be switched after next round, then when LMB is pressed you will fire all available guns (all loaded and on target) and the switch begins during reload. 

For me, Expert Loader is becoming a must on cruisers more and more. My DM with John Doe does a full swap in like 1.5sec. 

Edited by WhiteRecon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
31 posts
537 battles

To be clear....

 

A single click of a different shell type selects it for the next reload operation. Will clear all barrels whether they loaded or not when you next fire guns.

A double click will force reload of all barrels if a different type is currently selected.

 

A little trick you can use to single click salvo is to select the other shell type once all barrels are loaded. Then all barrels will fire with a single click. If you then quickly double tap your original shell type it will load again. You lose a second or two on total reload time but it's sometimes worth it to be able to fire a salvo with single click.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
918 posts
9,442 battles

Again, sounds weird in text, but I actually learned this very late.

Double tap #2 for a full AP swap (expert loader only works if already fully loaded).

Pressing #2 only once simple preps the loaders to do a swap after next fire.  Again, you can only fire guns that are 100% able to fire before the swap/process starts. 

----> Training Rooom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
1 hour ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Say I’m shooting HE.  I fire a salvo and while reloading I select AP.  When I fire the current load of HE, sometimes I get a full salvo, sometimes only one turret.  It can happen whether I select the other ammo type early in the reload or late.  What is the pattern for guaranteeing a full salvo before changing ammo?

Sounds to me like your double clicks are a little off or you click too fast for that last salvo. It’s happened to me before. If you click and fire one turret then the rest and there is a .1 or .2s difference between the reloads and you time it so you fire immediately as the first turret reloads, the remaining turrets are still reloading so it changes the shell and resets the reload timer. Just wait an extra split second before firing the last salvo.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
379
[WOLF1]
Members
2,494 posts

i think ammo reload needs some rework, similar to OP, i had plenty of wth moments when using partial reload, right now i tend to use full reload instead, just avoid the extra waste of time

Edited by Happy668

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,322
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,423 posts
14,400 battles
1 hour ago, FrodoFraggin said:

What is the pattern for guaranteeing a full salvo before changing ammo?

In a nutshell, all guns must be loaded and ready to fire to get a full salvo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,325
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,739 posts
10,776 battles
1 hour ago, FrodoFraggin said:

The most recent instance was HE against a cruiser nose in, I knew he’d be turning so I select AP mid-reload and the next/last HE salvo is only one turret.

If I am understanding this correctly you are firing a split second too soon for the other turrets to activate, I do it all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,322
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,423 posts
14,400 battles
5 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

The most recent instance was HE against a cruiser nose in, I knew he’d be turning so I select AP mid-reload and the next/last HE salvo is only one turret.

There are two ways to select AP mid-reload.  One is you select AP with one keystroke.  Two, you select AP with two keystrokes.

As for one, the reload waits until your next shoot event, and then switches ammo.  If your next shoot event does not fire a full salvo because your guns are not fully loaded (or you only fired one turret), then the loading progress is terminated (or the rounds loaded, but not fired, are unloaded) immediately after the shoot event and all turrets begin to load AP.

As for two, the re-load is immediately executed.  Rounds loading are terminated and rounds loaded are removed, and the all turrets begin to load AP. 

If you have expert marksman, the benefit requires all rounds to be loaded before the switch.  In the case of one, it requires a full salvo.  In the case of two, all turrets must be loaded.

Personally, I almost always use the two key forced switch to avoid the first case where I don't fully empty the guns and lose the loads.  This is especially true when I have three turrets out of sync with one turret.  For example, the three might be 5 seconds behind one turret. If I switch using one key, and fire the loaded turret before the other three load, I lose those rounds.  If I wait the extra 5 seconds, I get those rounds off and then double key to force the switch at that point.  In this instance I don't lose those rounds, and only lose five seconds of reload on the previously fired turret.

Or, if the need to switch outweighs a salvo of the wrong load (which is probably only applicable if I have expert marksman), then I don't fire the one, wait five seconds for the full load, then switch (lose them all) and take advantage of expert marksman to get me to my needed load as quickly as possible (at the expense of losing the previous load and the wait time to get there).

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
729
[NWNG]
Members
2,727 posts
4,604 battles

Sometimes there is a delay in the reload when firing a full salvo, this'll cause no more than a 100-400 millisecond delay between turret 1 and the last turret (most often turret 3). The trick to making sure you fire off a full salvo, is paying attention to the reload times of all turrets, and firing only when all turrets are loaded and ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
729
[NWNG]
Members
2,727 posts
4,604 battles
30 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

There are two ways to select AP mid-reload.  One is you select AP with one keystroke.  Two, you select AP with two keystrokes.

As for one, the reload waits until your next shoot event, and then switches ammo.  If your next shoot event does not fire a full salvo because your guns are not fully loaded (or you only fired one turret), then the loading progress is terminated (or the rounds loaded, but not fired, are unloaded) immediately after the shoot event and all turrets begin to load AP.

As for two, the re-load is immediately executed.  Rounds loading are terminated and rounds loaded are removed, and the all turrets begin to load AP.

If you have expert marksman, the benefit requires all rounds to be loaded before the switch.  In the case of one, it requires a full salvo.  In the case of two, all turrets must be loaded.

Personally, I almost always use the two key forced switch to avoid the first case where I don't fully empty the guns and lose the loads.  This is especially true when I have three turrets out of sync with one turret.  For example, the three might be 5 seconds behind one turret. If I switch using one key, and fire the loaded turret before the other three load, I lose those rounds.  If I wait the extra 5 seconds, I get those rounds off and then double key to force the switch at that point.  In this instance I don't lose those rounds, and only lose five seconds of reload on the previously fired turret.

Or, if the need to switch outweighs a salvo of the wrong load (which is probably only applicable if I have expert marksman), then I don't fire the one, wait five seconds for the full load, then switch (lose them all) and take advantage of expert marksman to get me to my needed load as quickly as possible (at the expense of losing the previous load and the wait time to get there).

Expert Marksman increases traverse speed of the turrets. You're thinking of Expert Loader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×