You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
geser98

Wow! Hipper is love, Hipper is life!

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

As they say, you never know what you've been missing until you get it and now that I got myself a Hipper, I know that it's the cruiser I really wanted in my port all along. Yesterday played only 5 battles in her, but in two of them my team all left me pretty much alone to fend off an onslaught on one of the flanks. First time I was facing a Nagato, Gneis and Edinburgh and the second time it was a T9 game and so I had a Bismarck, Mushi and Cleveland bearing down on me. In the first case after a while a friendly Nagato did show up to help and in the second an almost dead friendly Chappy was spamming them with HE from behind the island.

But I was always in theopen, keeping at close to max range, changing speed and direction and constantly showering targets of opportunity with AP. At one moment Mushi decided to get cheeky and went full broadside at 14km away. He soon realised his mistake after losing 30k HP from my 4 AP salvos.

Both of these games ended with me getting over 2mil in potential damage, while also dealing lots and sinking some ships and most importantly, in both cases our team was losing and if I sunk, reds would outflank our remaining forces and end us, but instead we ended up winning in both cases and me topping the scoreboard in the first scenario and being second behind friendly Chappy in the second. Some of the most fun games I'd had in a while. 

And in the current cruiser-heavy meta Hipper feels extremely strong and oh so enjoyable! I'm in love!

Capture.thumb.PNG.2fa0be0f2b55dd07850c8a0c200fd76b.PNG

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
Members
3,680 posts
21,488 battles

Glad you are enjoying it, keep up the good work

• Cool 1

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
41 minutes ago, Jazzyblaster said:

So happy to hear this! Glad to hear that you are enjoying her as well. :)

Yeah, lots! Bonanza continues! :cap_haloween:

hipper.thumb.png.b5c37eca9c7f5a2d23e679da24be3ec6.png

• Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Beta Testers
3,066 posts
25,361 battles
4 hours ago, geser98 said:

As they say, you never know what you've been missing until you get it and now that I got myself a Hipper, I know that it's the cruiser I really wanted in my port all along. Yesterday played only 5 battles in her, but in two of them my team all left me pretty much alone to fend off an onslaught on one of the flanks. First time I was facing a Nagato, Gneis and Edinburgh and the second time it was a T9 game and so I had a Bismarck, Mushi and Cleveland bearing down on me. In the first case after a while a friendly Nagato did show up to help and in the second an almost dead friendly Chappy was spamming them with HE from behind the island.

But I was always in theopen, keeping at close to max range, changing speed and direction and constantly showering targets of opportunity with AP. At one moment Mushi decided to get cheeky and went full broadside at 14km away. He soon realised his mistake after losing 30k HP from my 4 AP salvos.

Both of these games ended with me getting over 2mil in potential damage, while also dealing lots and sinking some ships and most importantly, in both cases our team was losing and if I sunk, reds would outflank our remaining forces and end us, but instead we ended up winning in both cases and me topping the scoreboard in the first scenario and being second behind friendly Chappy in the second. Some of the most fun games I'd had in a while. 

And in the current cruiser-heavy meta Hipper feels extremely strong and oh so enjoyable! I'm in love!

Capture.thumb.PNG.2fa0be0f2b55dd07850c8a0c200fd76b.PNG

I have the ship but her sister ship the Prince Eug is even more better and dangerous then the Hipper.

• Cool 1

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
21 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

I have the ship but her sister ship the Prince Eug is even more better and dangerous then the Hipper.

I wanted to buy Eugen a while ago and asked on the forum, but everyone told me not to. And now she's been buffed, but now out of sale :( But I guess, she'll be back again and I'll have me another waifu in the port :cap_like:

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
978 posts
8,704 battles

143 games in my Hipper. Love that ship. It's a permanent fixture in my Signature for a reason.  

Do yourself a favor and when the Eugen comes on sale later this month (June) just pick it up. The heal is an absolute game-changer. If you love the Hipper, you'll really love the Prinz. 

Edited by Falls_USMC
  • Cool 2

[B2P]
Members
259 posts
7,041 battles
11 hours ago, Falls_USMC said:

143 games in my Hipper. Love that ship. It's a permanent fixture in my Signature for a reason.  

Do yourself a favor and when the Eugen comes on sale later this month (June) just pick it up. The heal is an absolute game-changer. If you love the Hipper, you'll really love the Prinz. 

185 battles in the Prinz and a 61% WR for me. 
It should be noted, while they are basically clones, now the Hipper has a reload of 11.5s vs the 13s of Prinz. For putting down damage, Hipper is superior now, and has a slighter higher range too(17.5km vs 17.7km).  Prinz however, has access to a heal (4 total with premium and SI) and slightly more HP, and that heal is an Atago heal. Very comfortable. You can let fires run their course and just heal it off once you've disengaged. Even a lot of penetration damage is healable. If you actively angle and play smartly, you can stick around for ages. 
I haven't gotten my Hipper yet because I'm just too enamored with Prinz. I did own her on a previous account though, so I know how she plays. 

Second key point is that the Prinz is a good captain trainer, worth noting for sure. In Tier X matchmaking the heal starts to pay off heavily in making you feel like less of a roadkill. In same tier MM, it makes you tanky. In downtiers, you become a small unkillable god to all the other cruisers and DDs. 

If you possess the Extended Hydroacoustic Search module, immeadiately equip it. You get a 2 minute Hydro with that. Due to the general lack of CVs lately, I prefer it over DF and who wouldn't take advantage of that glorious German hydro? 

Granted, Hipper and Prinz are AA trolls when specced into it though. Full AA spec w/manual AA, they are extremely capable. People expect it from Baltimore/Cleveland/Kutuzov, but not the Hippers. Those 105mm guns are DP and MAA makes them monsters.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
17 hours ago, Falls_USMC said:

I definitely will now!

5 hours ago, Seniorious said:

Second key point is that the Prinz is a good captain trainer, worth noting for sure. In Tier X matchmaking the heal starts to pay off heavily in making you feel like less of a roadkill. In same tier MM, it makes you tanky. In downtiers, you become a small unkillable god to all the other cruisers and DDs. 

Actually, I feel semi god-like already in Hipper. Can't even imagine the level of Loki-ness I can get with some heals. I find that it's extremely rewarding to sit around 12-16 km from the enemy group that's pushing in and constantly harass them with AP and occasional HE salvo while dodging and bouncing their return fire. Brings back memories of playing a BB and having this annoying German pest that keeps spamming you, but you can't kill. So infuriating!

As a result I end up most battles with over 1.5 mil of potential damage and, more importantly, alive. I seldom hide behind islands and prefer to draw fire and let team be free to punish the enemy. But here's the question - the concealment when fully upgraded is a bit too good. Right now I'm sitting at 10.9km, but then I don't usually get that close. Have anyone tried swapping out concealment mod for rudder? I did that in old pre-buff 155-Mogami and it worked quite well. 

Also I'd seen some people recommend Target Acquisition System mod in slot 5. Could be quite useful too.

Alternatively I was thinking of opting out of CE and getting the following build for my current 15-point commander:

PT+EL

EM+AR

BFT+SI+DE

What do you guys think?

Edited by geser98

[B2P]
Members
259 posts
7,041 battles
1 hour ago, geser98 said:

I definitely will now!

Actually, I feel semi god-like already in Hipper. Can't even imagine the level of Loki-ness I can get with some heals. I find that it's extremely rewarding to sit around 12-16 km from the enemy group that's pushing in and constantly harass them with AP and occasional HE salvo while dodging and bouncing their return fire. Brings back memories of playing a BB and having this annoying German pest that keeps spamming you, but you can't kill. So infuriating!

As a result I end up most battles with over 1.5 mil of potential damage and, more importantly, alive. I seldom hide behind islands and prefer to draw fire and let team be free to punish the enemy. But here's the question - the concealment when fully upgraded is a bit too good. Right now I'm sitting at 10.9km, but then I don't usually get that close. Have anyone tried swapping out concealment mod for rudder? I did that in old pre-buff 155-Mogami and it worked quite well. 

Also I'd seen some people recommend Target Acquisition System mod in slot 5. Could be quite useful too.

Alternatively I was thinking of opting out of CE and getting the following build for my current 15-point commander:

PT+EL

EM+AR

BFT+SI+DE

What do you guys think?

Double rudder was attempted on some videos in YT, makes the ship quite tail happy. However, you should note that's another difference between Hipper and Prinz. 
With concealment mod and CE, the Prinz has a concealment of 11.5 with camoflauge on. 
TAS would be most useful in a Hydro build as IIRC it buffs hydro, but don't quote me on that, I'm most likely wrong. 
On my Eugen, I run Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, and Concealment Expert. Reason for SI is bonus heal, also gives me a spare hydro. 
That's for 10 points. With 13P, I'd spec into DE/Vigilance next. 
On the 15th point, spec into Jack of All Trades to reduce the cooldowns. 
For Hipper, SI is more redundant and not so necessary. 
On both ships, EM is largely useless because the turrets already train hyperfast, there is little reason for it. 
Expert loader sure. For your captain, I'd setup my Hipper like this: 
 PT + EL
HA + AR (to be able to shut off fires and conserve HP better)

DE
MAA or CE 
Leave it there. Wait for 16 points, then go for Vigilance, that one does boost the Hydro according to tool tip. Or if you're doing semi-AA build, go for DE over BFT anyway and run Defensive Fire. 
Concealment, even if you don't usually need it, comes in handy in some situations. If you don't really want it, take MAA instead. Boosting your 105mm AA guns by 100% results in 200dps for your longest range 'aura', resulting in a far better boost than BFT. Take the +20% AA Range Mod over the GFCS -7% dispersion module and you have over 5km of AA range with good power. 

Reminds me of another point, Prinz is more sluggish than her sister in agility too. Basically, she's the Hipper's fat sister. It really puts it into perspective that way. 

Edited by Seniorious
  • Cool 1

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
27 minutes ago, Seniorious said:

For Hipper, SI is more redundant and not so necessary. 

Totally, but this captain will eventually go all the way to Roon and Hindy and extra heals will be nice. Also, once I get my hand on Eugen, I'll use this captain on her as well.

30 minutes ago, Seniorious said:

On both ships, EM is largely useless because the turrets already train hyperfast, there is little reason for it. 

Yeah, I just didn't know what else to put points in :cap_haloween: Buffing AA may be a good idea, just in case there's still a carrier on the server somewhere.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
5 hours ago, Seniorious said:

That's for 10 points. With 13P, I'd spec into DE/Vigilance next. 

Actually I've researched the point about Vigilance a bit and about "Hydro build" as well. So, Vigilance does stack with hydro, but only for spotting of torpedoes. It also stacks with TAS Mod 1, but again for torpedo acquisition only.

So if you have both TAS and Vig, you buff your torpedo acquisition to 4.68km when hydro active, but that doesn't affect spotting of stealthed ships. 

So this would only be useful if you were to go scout in front of your pushing BBs, but that's not really the job of a third-line cruiser. Maybe could be useful on a KM DD, but not on Hipper for sure.

At the same time TAS might be quite useful. Yes, you lose 10% of your concealment, but in return you spot enemy ships at 20% greater distance, which could help better maintain comfortable range especially when dealing with US cruisers.

After a bit of thinking I think I might use the following "tank" build for now (about to get 16th point):

1. PT+EL

2. JoAT+AR

3. BoS + SI

4. CE

And then I'll keep my fingers crossed that no carrier takes special interest in me :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by geser98

[B2P]
Members
259 posts
7,041 battles

So here is a rapid example of Tier 9 gameplay where I stacked a bunch of Free XP flags and camo and went full try-hard. 
0h2ARys.jpg
cGGP6t0.jpg
Could've been so much better, but my team was passive about protecting B and thus lost by points. In this game, the heal didn't play a very big part. I used two of four heals total, but they weren't of very effective use. Getting Dreadnought in Prinz Eugen is relatively easy with good usage. In this match, I spent about 70% of my time sitting inside or directly at the edge of the A cap, sub 13km at all times. The other 30% was 14-16km range while attempting to protect B, hence all my defense flags. I eventually jumped in, finished off a DD, and made the Kron ground. He killed me, but my team finished him off. The rest of the match was my team being potato and not aggressively moving for the cap. The Hipper with faster reload and lower concealment likely could have easily made the match more comfortable. Notably, I only have 2 citadels but 7 fires, and 118k damage. Due to the amount of angled BBs I encountered, I ended up using fires to deal damage a lot. 

[_S_B_]
Members
477 posts
16,914 battles

I like the Hipper too except in Tier 10 battles then it's duck and cover!:Smile_hiding:

[FFLY]
Members
182 posts
13,037 battles
On 6/2/2018 at 9:26 AM, geser98 said:

I wanted to buy Eugen a while ago and asked on the forum, but everyone told me not to. And now she's been buffed, but now out of sale :( But I guess, she'll be back again and I'll have me another waifu in the port :cap_like:

She is back in the premium shop

Members
249 posts

Just wanted to chime in with how much I'm enjoying my Hipper!  I only have 21 games in her, but have a 71% WR.  This ship has such an awesome balance of firepower and armor!  While it will still take damage, it doesn't eat citadels, and so I can be more aggressive, and have a greater influence over the map.  When I push in, and hit people with 6-7K AP salvos, they back off quick!

Members
35 posts
4,099 battles

have the Hipper played about 25 games in it what does the last hull begin to the ship is it wroth the money to have it. Also what is it with then guns i had yam at 14k and it was broad side and all my shells went over or under and i was aiming at the water line.

Members
249 posts

The C hull gives you some additional AA.  I think it’s worth it.  With only 8 guns, dispersion can troll you pretty hard, but it can also reward you pretty hard too.  I wouldn’t aim at the waterline of a Yamato sitting 14km away.  You’re likely to get a bunch of shatters.  You’d be better off aiming for the upper belt.