You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

How To Win At Monopoly

19 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
3,768 posts
8,540 battles

Last Christmas, I got Wii Monopoly Streets for Christmas (since my only gaming platform besides computers is a Wii) and decided to study up on how to win, since I kept getting beat silly by my cousins (even though they had no idea what they were doing either).

As it turns out, the key to winning a standard game (two dice, $1500, etc.) is to buy and develop the orange properties, since those are the ones that get landed on the most.

As a result of this, even though I ended up owning only 6 properties on the entire board, the fact that I owned two color groups (orange and green) which were some of the more landed on squares helped me win despite the fact that my cousins had hotels on Boardwalk and some other places

In addition, some general words of advice are:

• buy as much property as possible, but don't overpay, especially during auctions
  • try to deny opponents a monopoly, and try to get one of your own (especially those around the free parking and jail spaces)
  • stay in jail when most of the tiles are owned, since it's actually better to just sit there and not risk landing on an opponent's house or hotel
  • mortgage properties if you need to stay alive, but try to un-mortgage them as soon as you can
  • building houses and hotels are nice, but try to have a cash reserve on hand in case you need to survive landing on a rival's hotel, and don't forget that there is a community chest card that forces you to pay for every house and hotel you own
  • sometimes, trading can be beneficial, even if your rival asks for a 2-1 exchange rate in their favor (especially if they don't know the frequency of landed spaces)
  • railroads can be situationally useful at best, but utilities are actually rather useless, since the most you will normally ever get out of them is $240, or not about 1 house worth; I usually just auction them off
  • finally, have fun: it's just a game

Frequency board:

this-heatmap-shows-how-many-times-each-s

• Cool 2

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,701 posts

Holy [edited], I thought this was just gonna be a bad punchline like "Don't play, lol". But this is actually pretty interesting, thanks for the strategy guide   :D

[STW-N]
Members
3,768 posts
8,540 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

Holy #$%^, I thought this was just gonna be a bad punchline like "Don't play, lol". But this is actually pretty interesting, thanks for the strategy guide   :D

Do note though, that board frequency changes with the number of die in play.

I lost the first few rounds even after looking up a frequency board and developing the orange properties.

As it turns out, playing with 3 die instead of 2 (Monopoly streets allows game modes like that) makes it so that the most frequently landed on spaces are around the go-to-jail corner. You can probably work out where the spaces for 4+ die are from there.

And of course, in the end RNG is just as much of a factor as actual probability, as the events of a particular game demonstrated:

Spoiler

>cousins neck and neck, both have monopolies on certain tile, only other players are an AI and me, both of us already lost

>cousin A lands on a community chest card

>pay $40 per house and $115 per hotel

>cousin A is brought down to $2, but didn't have to sell any properties

>cousin B rolls dice, narrowly avoids Boardwalk with a hotel on it

>lands on chance card instead

>advance to Boardwalk

>rip cousin B

12idzUC.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[REVY]
Members
6,436 posts
5,168 battles

I absolutely love monopoly.  But it's been known to test friendships.  I actually designed the Communist version of monopoly for a school project, where you start with empty lots with no services and the players went around the board building the community by providing housing, utilities and mass transit.  If the players didn't work together to build the community and gave into greed with the rent prices, they'd eventually run out of money and "starve".

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,511 posts
4,602 battles

I target RRs and green properties, with preferences to orange and yellow.

I usually win.

IMO, Monopoly is about the art of the deal.  You acquire what you want through trades.

[NNG]
Members
1,673 posts
3,023 battles
12 hours ago, Sventex said:

I absolutely love monopoly.  But it's been known to test friendships.  I actually designed the Communist version of monopoly for a school project, where you start with empty lots with no services and the players went around the board building the community by providing housing, utilities and mass transit.  If the players didn't work together to build the community and gave into greed with the rent prices, they'd eventually run out of money and "starve".

What a coincidence, I had made a communist version for school project as well. I called it "Marxopoly" and all players starved after 150 rounds unless they managed to buy one of the utilities which were 1,000,000 each (the game didn't have that much money in it) so no matter what everyone starved. 

• Boring 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,259 posts
6,233 battles

A bit of personal advice: Never EVER play Monopoly with an investment banker and/or lawyer.

• Funny 1

[STW-N]
Members
3,768 posts
8,540 battles
7 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

A bit of personal advice: Never EVER play Monopoly with an investment banker and/or lawyer.

I suppose it ends poorly?

Although to be fair, real life wouldn't involve someone declaring bankruptcy just because they happened to stop for a rest outside of a hotel.

if-monopoly-were-real-life-176950.jpg

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,436 posts
5,168 battles
4 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I suppose it ends poorly?

Although to be fair, real life wouldn't involve someone declaring bankruptcy just because they happened to stop for a rest outside of a hotel.

if-monopoly-were-real-life-176950.jpg

A Hotel at the Boardwalk hotel is cheaper than the Trump Hotel Franklin Suite, which costs 5415.00 USD/NIGHT excluding tax + fees.  Go figure.

https://www.trumphotels.com/washington-dc/signature-suites

Edited by Sventex

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,701 posts
46 minutes ago, Sventex said:

A Hotel at the Boardwalk hotel is cheaper than the Trump Hotel Franklin Suite, which costs 5415.00 USD/NIGHT excluding tax + fees.  Go figure.

https://www.trumphotels.com/washington-dc/signature-suites

[Joke about Trump Steaks here]

I tell ya though, much better game growing up with, Clue

[REVY]
Members
6,436 posts
5,168 battles
2 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

[Joke about Trump Steaks here]

I tell ya though, much better game growing up with, Clue

I've never played Clue, so all the references I hear about Professor Plum just flies over my head.

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,701 posts
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

I've never played Clue, so all the references I hear about Professor Plum just flies over my head.

It taught me how to be extremely suspicious of everyone

[REVY]
Members
6,436 posts
5,168 battles
8 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Risk.

LOL, I guess Timmy won't be needing Boardwalk anymore.

board-games-like-risk.jpg

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,701 posts
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

Theres a risk board painted onto a table at the gaming cafe around the corner from me. It REALLY bugs me that they put Bismarcks on the ocean... along with F-18s

[REVY]
Members
6,436 posts
5,168 battles
2 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Theres a risk board painted onto a table at the gaming cafe around the corner from me. It REALLY bugs me that they put Bismarcks on the ocean... along with F-18s

Why?

USS_Constitution_Sail200d.jpg

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,701 posts
25 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Why?

Because clearly the Bismarck should be sailing with F-4 overhead from the Democratic Federation!
13243844_1111380612257063_40959254945724

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles
18 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Best advice ever. My cousin is a lawyer and he always takes it way too seriously haha.