You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Komrade_Rylo

T8 Cleveland is Amazing

87 comments in this topic

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,952 posts
12,042 battles

idk about you guys but cleveland at t8 is probably my favorite ship in game now. It's an absolute little monster and I love it. Its dpm is devastating, and having all the consumables plus being able to practically stealth radar is fantastic. How are you guys liking it?

5b121ea3cdd2f_gudbote.thumb.png.9c9391283a43489aea5d81092659ee4f.png 

• Cool 2

[KRAB]
Members
887 posts
7,326 battles

I prefer the Chapayev - the shell ballistics, short range and large target profile limit the Cleveland's utility by making it map and spawn dependent. The AP is also rather anemic even compared to the Mogami and Edinburgh, so you have trouble really punishing another cruiser if they try to knife-fight you. 

It isn't a bad ship, but I don't think it is strong enough to contest for best-in-tier. 

• Cool 2

[CHASE]
2,952 posts
12,042 battles
Just now, MaxL_1023 said:

I prefer the Chapayev - the shell ballistics, short range and large target profile limit the Cleveland's utility by making it map and spawn dependent. The AP is also rather anemic even compared to the Mogami and Edinburgh, so you have trouble really punishing another cruiser if they try to knife-fight you. 

It isn't a bad ship, but I don't think it is strong enough to contest for best-in-tier. 

I think chappy's a better ship as well, but cleveland has been far more fun to play.

[LUCK]
Members
1,769 posts
27,557 battles
1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The AP is also rather anemic even compared to the Mogami and Edinburgh, so you have trouble really punishing another cruiser if they try to knife-fight you. 

When it was T6 under 9km it would shred them. I dispatched an Ed with AP no problem.

[KRAB]
Members
887 posts
7,326 battles
1 minute ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

When it was T6 under 9km it would shred them. I dispatched an Ed with AP no problem.

The problem is the thicker belts, dual-layer citadel armor and higher HP pools seen in higher tier cruisers. The RN cruisers are an exception - most DDs can citadel them with AP under 9km. Something like a Baltimore will shrug off your AP unless flat broadside at a range under 8km, where you will be deleted by the SHS and their superior ricochet angles. 

[SIDE]
Members
3,592 posts

I think it needs either a heal or smoke and the AP def needs a buff. 

I hated it the first 10 or so battles. I had to adapt. I brought in my Atlanta and French play styles and had much better luck. 

I would say this about Cleveland. If you try pretty hard to do well in this ship and master it you will become a much better cruiser player overall.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

I like killing them

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
24,768 posts
21,831 battles
14 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

idk about you guys but cleveland at t8 is probably my favorite ship in game now. It's an absolute little monster and I love it. Its dpm is devastating, and having all the consumables plus being able to practically stealth radar is fantastic. How are you guys liking it?

Playing it to the ship's strengths and using the whole toolkit?  Good.  Been seeing a lot of insanity with the ship.  There's even a bunch of Clevelands right now that have no idea they got Defensive Fire...

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,421 posts
11,137 battles
5 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

I think chappy's a better ship as well, but cleveland has been far more fun to play.

Comparing chappy to the new Cleveland is like comparing pears to apples.; they are polar opposites. Clevelands 6.5s reload, lightning turret traverse without EM with hydro and radar? Not to mention faster rudder than atlanta makes this thing a CL mid-short ranged beast. 

Chappy is the polar opposite. With her galatical yurning radius, slow turrets and incredibly long hull, chappy only saving grace is her 11.7km radar and 17km range. Otherwise chappy would be the worst t8 CL imo.

Annother bonus to Cleveland is thst she retains her citadel profile [waterline.] Chappy or edd cant brag that. I believe Cleveland now has better AA than Chappy,  a pedistal of which the usn cruisers can finally have back after three years of depravity.

Furthermore, if u still want 17km range, you can drop radar and pick up a spotter plane for some pre-nurf AFT Cleveland action.

[LUCK]
Members
1,769 posts
27,557 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Playing it to the ship's strengths and using the whole toolkit?  Good.  Been seeing a lot of insanity with the ship.  There's even a bunch of Clevelands right now that have no idea they got Defensive Fire...

I think there is a lot of T6 hangover- you can't get away with some of the crap you did then, now.

• Cool 1

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,827 battles

I tried playing the ship like the Murmansk with the idea of playing the Cleveland in open water and dodging shells by doing everything I could to improve rudder shift .. it actually worked and was fun, out of 6 Clevelands I alone survived, it suffers terribly from to short a gun range and bad shell trajectory at this tier to do much..

my prediction is once the hullabaloo settles down and MM goes it’s normal way the Higher tier Cruisers and in particular the BBS will OP it big time 

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,846 battles
26 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

The moment i got IFHE the ship is fckn amazing. And he took me some games to understand how it works , the best spots, etc. Now i am doing a 81 k average dmg and going up. My maximum is 201k dmg.  Great ship if you understands how it plays . The downside his Okinawa map if you spawn in the south, Tears of the desert can also be a little tricky.

Another intersting fact is how quick you melt others cruisers hp sailing away in <8km fight.

Edited by _no_one_

[RKLES]
Members
11,772 posts
13,346 battles
17 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I like killing them

Lol same here, finally get to kill them using Yamato now... :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
297 posts
2,405 battles

Weirdly enough, I've actually been getting more success in my Cleveland by running spotter plane. Not only does it help me hit enemies behind islands, it's usually also enough to stall a DD or get vision over a cap. I'm seriously starting to consider going full Yuro meme build.

Members
1,187 posts
6,084 battles

I agree. The tier 8 Cleveland is a load of fun to play when done so properly, but not everybody is going to like that American light cruiser play style with the low velocity, high arcing 152 mm shells. She is less forgiving when you make a mistake in her at tier 8 than at tier 6, but even in a tier 10 match, the Cleveland can hold her on. This is not my best effort in the tier 8 Cleveland, but it was a fun and challenging random tier X game.

06-01-2018 WoWs screenshot_001 Cleveland Random.jpg

06-01-2018 WoWs screenshot_002 Cleveland Random.jpg

[TDRB]
Members
4,252 posts
12,250 battles

The tier 8 Cleveland is a load of fun to play when done so properly, but not everybody is going to like that American light cruiser play style with the low velocity, high arcing 152 mm shells.

That is why we see some who love her & others ready to scrap her.

[HEYPA]
Members
44 posts
8,767 battles
2 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

That is why we see some who love her & others ready to scrap her.

AMEN!

What I have been seeing though is many running it up as frontline dpm and getting wiped in short-order. It is still not a tanky ship and needs all the cover and positioning it can muster.

Edited by Disciplyne
  • Cool 1

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles
2 hours ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Even when it Tier 6, when I had to knife fight cruisers, I usually relied on HE pen and fires from IFHE unless enemy was perfectly broadside. As soon as he began turning, I'd switch back to IFHE. the AP requires even more lead than the HE.

[INTEL]
Members
12,125 posts
33,639 battles
18 hours ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

It's a decent T7 cruiser, at best. I suspect in your case it's the player. The vast majority of people in it have no idea what they are doing. I would say it desperately needs either RN-type heal or smoke. Mostly it's fodder.

• Cool 1

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles
11 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

It's a decent T7 cruiser, at best. I suspect in your case it's the player. The vast majority of people in it have no idea what they are doing. I would say it desperately needs either RN-type heal or smoke. Mostly it's fodder.

I agree. Cleveland is over-tiered at Tier 8. At Tier 7 it will have much better matchmaking.

• Cool 1

[CHASE]
2,952 posts
12,042 battles
30 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I said it's fun to play and a little dpm monster. It's currently my favorite shop ship in the game and I really don't think it needs a buff

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,720 posts
22,073 battles
3 hours ago, thebigblue said:

I think it needs either a heal or smoke and the AP def needs a buff. 

I hated it the first 10 or so battles. I had to adapt. I brought in my Atlanta and French play styles and had much better luck. 

I would say this about Cleveland. If you try pretty hard to do well in this ship and master it you will become a much better cruiser player overall.

I think the ability to swap out the Radar for Smoke would have been the way to go with the new Cleveland. I just find it "meh" and uninteresting as she is right now. I plan on selling her after getting 5 stars in the new OP coming out, she isn't a keeper like the old Cleveland.