Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pewpewpew42

New Cruisers and Ammo Choice

4 comments in this topic

[TSF_1]
Members
3,298 posts
7,484 battles

image.thumb.png.7f6ffcba1099bde071ccbeacf3e77b95.png

I just had this fantastic game, where I won a 3v1 (2x Pensacola, 1x Arizona) because my enemy chose the wrong ammo types. A basic knowledge of angling stretched out my HP pool for the entire match, despite being constantly under fire for almost 12 minutes straight.

Yes, you got a brand new cruiser. Yes the AP stats look great. No, you shouldn't use it all the time. Those guys would have killed me and won the game with a touch of HE. I used my damage control party twice, and a follow-up salvo of HE never came. Ultimately the Arizona went to go defend his cap (a smart play @MEEEE999), and the two cruisers showed flat broadside allowing me to kill them quickly. By sheer luck we were 10 points ahead and we wasted the clock.

Please, if you are taking out a new U.S. cruiser this weekend, take a moment to relearn when to use what kind of shell.

Basically:

• If the flat silhouette of the enemy faces you, use AP (aim waterline)
  • If the nose or back of the enemy faces you, use HE (aim deck level)

It can pay off to have AP loaded for that perfect shot, but don't spend too long not firing. Your rate of fire is an advantage.

Good luck out there!

Edited by pewpewpew42
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,761 posts
13,339 battles

I would like to add some advice as well, when selecting AP or HE on cruisers it is good to know your Cruiser and it’s guns. Like my Graf Spee does well with the 11’ BB guns it carries, but a same tier CA and same nation the Nurnberg will often struggle with using AP on some targets so using a lot of HE is the better choice. And as OP has pointed out some CAs are good with switching shell types often throughout the battle. One of the hints to figuring it out is finding out if the guns on a Cruiser were heavy cruiser guns or light cruiser guns. Heavy cruisers were built to be able use their heavier guns with AP to tear through the armor of other cruisers and some BBs, but light cruiser guns were not as powerful, but fast firing to deal with DDs and help with cruisers and they do better with HE in game.

• Cool 1

Members
1,684 posts
8,027 battles
1 hour ago, pewpewpew42 said:

image.thumb.png.7f6ffcba1099bde071ccbeacf3e77b95.png

I just had this fantastic game, where I won a 3v1 (2x Pensacola, 1x Arizona) because my enemy chose the wrong ammo types. A basic knowledge of angling stretched out my HP pool for the entire match, despite being constantly under fire for almost 12 minutes straight.

Yes, you got a brand new cruiser. Yes the AP stats look great. No, you shouldn't use it all the time. Those guys would have killed me and won the game with a touch of HE. I used my damage control party twice, and a follow-up salvo of HE never came. Ultimately the Arizona went to go defend his cap (a smart play @MEEEE999), and the two cruisers showed flat broadside allowing me to kill them quickly. By sheer luck we were 10 points ahead and we wasted the clock.

Please, if you are taking out a new U.S. cruiser this weekend, take a moment to relearn when to use what kind of shell.

Basically:

• If the flat silhouette of the enemy faces you, use AP (aim waterline)
  • If the nose or back of the enemy faces you, use HE (aim deck level)

It can pay off to have AP loaded for that perfect shot, but don't spend too long not firing. Your rate of fire is an advantage.

Good luck out there!

Just going to add that if you have AP loaded and your target is not presenting that flat side to you, firing at the hull just below the deck, or at the lowest part of the superstructure will usually yield some good hits — Especially on RN CLs, or USN CAs. You’ll still want HE for those awkward shots, but if you were going to unload anyway, do it into the enemy ship. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this