You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

I have a Z-39 but I'm afraid to play it.

28 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,577 posts
2,106 battles

My girlfriend did something pretty awesome and logged into Warships and bought me a Z-39. I'm super appreciative and glad to have her in my port. The problem? I have zero matches in destroyers, I have no clue how to properly operate in smoke or when to dispense, I don't have any clue how to contest caps in the early game, and I'm terrified to launch torpedoes. The last time I used torpedoes, I sank a friendly, and now I'm gun-shy. 

What should I do to ease into destroyer play? How difficult is the Z-39 as compared to the others of her tier? What's the single most important thing for a DD captain to remember? I feel like I'm in way over my head.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,403 posts
17,609 battles

Grats on the Z-39!

Play some low tier destroyers first. Tier 2 or 3 destroyers are easy enough to research. You can play them in coop first if you want to, that's generally a far more friendly environment than randoms. Do you know how to use torpedoes? Make absolutely sure there are no teammates in front of you before you fire, including off to the side, in case they turn around and drive into your torpedoes.

As for smoke, these are useful guides ...

Also, +1 for coming on here and asking questions to gain knowledge.

Finally, here's Mouse's review of Z-39. It goes in-depth about her components, how her weapons work, maneuverability, captain skills, etc etc etc.

• Cool 8

[LLF]
Beta Testers
533 posts

I recommend going down the German DD line to get a good understanding how they play. The v-25 is a monster at tier 2, plus the German DDs are good at hunting other DDs with there high hp great guns, and having hydro.

[TDRB]
Members
4,461 posts
12,612 battles

My I suggest if you are sunk and there are dd's alive on you team to watch them play out the battle.

[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,333 posts
13,167 battles

Check out my how to threads in the DD section of the forum.  I have posts getting into details in the IJN and KM DDs as well.

My youtube page below, its a new page with not much up ATM, but I will have new content being put out as often as I play, which is almost daily.

The best thing you can do is find an experienced DD willing to train you up. 

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai
  • Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,829 posts
16,590 battles
29 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

What should I do to ease into destroyer play? How difficult is the Z-39 as compared to the others of her tier? What's the single most important thing for a DD captain to remember? I feel like I'm in way over my head.

Always check around you for friendlies before you fire. Your torps will kill your own team, accept that it occurs. Try mot to ever do it of course, it will however happen from time to time. I find that the Zoom out mod helps to not torp team mates that are crossing close in front of you that are not in your view. The pulled back view gives you a larger view area close to your ship. Now, go kiss your lady full on the lips.

You can find mods in the mod section I use Aslain's mod pack.

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0750-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview/

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[TJRD]
Members
822 posts
5,168 battles

All I gotta say is, what a great girlfriend! That's so awesome! and it's great that you want to learn how to play DDs well rather than just flunk in your new shiny Premium. Like Lert said, playing low tier DDs is a great start, and if you have some free xp, I would recommend going up the German DD line. I personally like it a lot and if you play ships like the Gaede and Mass, then you'll be well versed to play your Z-39. Just have fun with it!

Members
1,373 posts

- how to videos

- low low tier DD

- Flamu videos on youtube

- lots of co op

- then z39 in co op 

Then write a profuse and long letter apologizing for not shooting immediately every time you saw an enemy DD in the past. 

Edited by Toxic_Potato

Members
4,415 posts
18,015 battles

As Lert suggested, roll some lower tier DDs and practice. DD play has a steep learning curve, it took me a helluva long to get decent at it. But once you do, DD play is so much fun that it has to be illegal somewhere.

And grats on the Z-39 and having a cool Girlfriend! :Smile_great:

Members
3,378 posts
14,160 battles

Right now, with the amount of people playing Cleveland and Buffalo, it might not be the best time to take out your DD especially if you never played DD.

Play some low tier-mid tier DD to have some knowledge about how things work, then you can start playing your Z-39. If you decide to jump right now into your new ship, you might just lose your enjoyement playing this ship because of the lack of knowledge on DD games but also because of the current amount of radar ship in MM. 

[WOLF3]
Members
25,296 posts
22,304 battles

At 341 matches OP, I am not sure if you have gotten the hang of concealment and spotting mechanics yet.  If you haven't, read up on this.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

Concealment, Spotting is crucial for every ship type in the game, even a Carrier that's trying to linger in the back.  For a DD, unless you're a Russian CL Destroyer that doesn't care much for sneaking around, these mechanics will make or break your success.

Also, jumping into Z-39 right now with no DD experience will get you rekt hard.  In her MM Tier Bracket, there are so many Radar Cruisers right now that you'll get brutalized.

Suggestion?  Buy one of the low tier DDs like Tier II German Destroyer V-22 and grind to Tier V.  Get a hang for it, get comfortable.  There's times where you should use your guns, and there's times where you should not.  DD play has lots of subtle nuances that has to be done right, otherwise you're dead in the opening minutes of a match.  Once you feel super comfortable, start going into Tier VI and on, but again, do be careful with all the Radar Cruisers around right now.

Tier VI Gaede sports 150mm guns and will actually be a lower tier trainer for you before jumping into VII Z-39.  The threats Z-39 will face can vary wildly in danger, namely the Tier VIII-IX ships she can run into.  The VIII-IX DDs in particular are super nasty for any VII DD to deal with.

[PVE]
Members
3,836 posts
16,388 battles

I agree with AlcatrazNC.......with the meta cruiser HE spam and radar crap going on.........now, is not a time to be in Random.  Co-op against bots might be a better training field.  Above all, read, watch and ask because warfare is an art; with a bit of science; a lot of intuition; and, some days the Schwartz is with you and some days, it's not !

Members
3,010 posts
10,189 battles
2 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

:Smile_great:

I concur, but you changed your name... I know a long time ago probably, but this is the first time I've caught it.

[WOLF8]
Members
6,890 posts
6,011 battles

Definitely first try the training wheels on a low tier DD. I highly recommend the Tier II V-25. Same nation (German), thus you can use Z-39 to train the DD captain later, and she's rather fun to play! Such a blast to sail... I don't know why, but it just is, lol.

I kept mine (along with Tier I Hamelin) for times when I accidentally turn pink. Lowest tiers at Coop is a perfect for temporarily working for the Breast Cancer Awareness Group, lel.

Edited by Blorgh2017

Members
1,369 posts
16,676 battles

All the lower tier German DDs are fun and easy to play. I even keep the V-170 as a permanent part of my fleet. Work your way up that line and before you know it you'll be ready for the upper tier play.

Besides with a girlfriend like that you're already the Winner for the Week... does she have a sister???

Members
3,033 posts
564 battles
6 hours ago, BURN_Miner said:

I concur, but you changed your name... I know a long time ago probably, but this is the first time I've caught it.

fgtjNKA.gif

[BNKR]
Members
1,577 posts
2,106 battles

As a public service I'll keep my destroyer activities out of random for a while. Meanwhile, I've started hammering out the videos linked here. Thanks for all the advice. :cap_like:

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,151 posts
7,357 battles

Something no one has mentioned is that the Radar equipped use of Cruisers at T8 and higher because of the change in the American line has got out of hand with everyone playing Cleveland's. So this is not the best time to be running a T8 DD, especially if your not a DD main. So follow other peoples advice and start low before you go high tier. Also the radar/hydro mechanics have a serious flaw in that they magically shoot though islands and mountains a ridiculous mechanic that WG refuses to fix for some reason.

[4HIM]
Members
2,911 posts
11,290 battles

I too have the Z-39.  But with the current RadarCruiserPalooza going on right now, it's just going to sit in port for a while.  If you haven't played DD's, start on the German line.  The V-25 is a real kick-in-the-pants fun bote to play.  Those forward facing torps (which the Z-39 doesn't have, and IIRC the German DD's lose at T5 with the T-22) are a great tool and can surprise some people.  

Congrats on the gift.  

[BNKR]
Members
1,577 posts
2,106 battles
3 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

Save free xp to skip the T-22 lol

I have lots of free XP but I'm saving it for bigger fish. :cap_haloween:

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles
15 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Well a couple things that are a little different about DDs... 

1) You don't have a citadel to protect. With that said, full penetration hits from battleships in particular are still devastating. In many cases it is advisable to go full broadside to battleships (contrary to most other ships) to improve the odds of lower damage overpenetrations from main batteries. Some DDs- German in particular- are wider and aren't able to avoid full penetrations with this technique. Someone might be able to weigh in on the Z39 in particular. 

2) Smoke outline turned on. This may or may not be the default. You can find it in settings- I think in graphics or controls. Make sure it's turned on since without it, it's very difficult to tell if you're in smoke unless you're actively being detected. You'll be detected- even in smoke- regardless within 2-3kms (depending on modules on enemy ships) and also within your "smoke bloom." It's important to learn what those distances are with any ship you're playing- particularly cruisers and DDs. 

3) Don't sit in smoke too long. Imagine you've gone into cap and are detected. You start turning and pop smoke, then slow down so that it masks your position. Don't sit there too long since a) It's a magnet for radar and torpedoes and b) you're not able to spot anyone for your team. When I'm supporting a DD in cap I'll usually tell him "you've got my guns." This doesn't help if he doesn't spot- so smoke yourself to break initial contact and try to maneuver to minimize your exposure to incoming fire (radar) and torpedoes, as well as provide some spotting for your team. 

4) Your DD has hydro but without some experience in knife fight style gunnery you may not be able to use it to its benefit without throwing your ship away in the process. As others have already recommended, I strongly recommend you work a few lower tiers in DD play before you wade out into the jungle at tier V-IX. 

Edited by Gascan75