You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

When A Single Player's Foolishness Ruins A Game (Salt Rage)

32 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
3,760 posts
8,525 battles

Some players play to have fun, to shoot at other ships and get sunk. Fair enough, not everyone is a serious player. Heck, I'm not too peeved when I lose (most of the time) and have a life outside of this game.

And then there are those that ruin the match for the rest of the team in the name of their "fun".

Today, in one match in Missouri, we had a Cleveland (whose username I recorded but unfortunately wasn't able to record more evidence before the match ended and my game crashed) who announced that he would sail to J-1 (on twin brothers) and host a "peace summit."

What that basically amounted to was him sailing to J1, slowly puttering around in the corner, and filling the chat with inanities about topics like "magazine size reductions."

With our team basically down one ship, our west flank collapsed, as a well-played enemy division consisting of a Yamato, a Z-52,  a Grober Kurfurst, and a Stalingrad bore down on us. Without the fire support from the Cleveland, even our excellent CV (who stomped the enemy CV by over 30 plane kills and managed to get 1.4k base xp on a loss—not to mention dev-striking a Des Moines somehow) couldn't hold the tide.

End result, our team loses on points, and the Cleveland gets a grand total of 124 base xp, having not contributed a single point of damage or potential damage to our team.

To the [edited] whose username consists of

Spoiler

a rank of nobility and something short and stout,

I hope you remember that there are other people who play this game, and they don't appreciate you selfishly ruining their match just for some inane roleplaying.

...I need some sugar.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
3,710 posts
1,392 battles

The first day i returned i forgot they had changed standard battles to include a point system to prevent draws. I made a tactical decision, which would have been correct in domination.... however it lost the game in standard :^) Oops.

• Funny 1

[LEGIT]
Members
2,195 posts
29,885 battles

My favorites are the Tatertotenkopfs who choose to reveal their position by firing when all they had to do was stay dark and sail away to win the game.

Next in line are the game mechanic challenged who sail out of the cap when all they had to do was stay in it 'til it changed color.

• Cool 5

Members
689 posts
7,037 battles

Man, that sounds hilarious. In general I think people take random battles too seriously- this guy sounds like he has a good sense of humour, and while it's kinda [edited] of him to leave his team after he committed to it by entering the battle, it also doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things. Plus, a single bottom tier Cleveland isn't going to turn back a magic top tier 4-man-division, especially when a dominant CV can't even manage it. Just learn to have a good laugh and forget about it.

• Cool 2
  • Angry 3

[WOLF6]
Members
851 posts
7,912 battles
1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Some players play to have fun, to shoot at other ships and get sunk. Fair enough, not everyone is a serious player. Heck, I'm not too peeved when I lose (most of the time) and have a life outside of this game.

And then there are those that ruin the match for the rest of the team in the name of their "fun".

Today, in one match in Missouri, we had a Cleveland (whose username I recorded but unfortunately wasn't able to record more evidence before the match ended and my game crashed) who announced that he would sail to J-1 (on twin brothers) and host a "peace summit."

What that basically amounted to was him sailing to J1, slowly puttering around in the corner, and filling the chat with inanities about topics like "magazine size reductions."

With our team basically down one ship, our west flank collapsed, as a well-played enemy division consisting of a Yamato, a Z-52,  a Grober Kurfurst, and a Stalingrad bore down on us. Without the fire support from the Cleveland, even our excellent CV (who stomped the enemy CV by over 30 plane kills and managed to get 1.4k base xp on a loss—not to mention dev-striking a Des Moines somehow) couldn't hold the tide.

End result, our team loses on points, and the Cleveland gets a grand total of 124 base xp, having not contributed a single point of damage or potential damage to our team.

Hide contents

I hope you remember that there are other people who play this game, and they don't appreciate you selfishly ruining their match just for some inane roleplaying.

...I need some sugar.

Hopefully your entire team reported him for misconduct in chat , it won't stop the idiot from ruining more games but it might shut him up for awhile and take some of the fun out of it for the jerk .

[PVE]
Members
3,672 posts
15,633 battles

Hold on a second !  You mean this is a serious game???  I've actually stood on, crawled around in and have interviewed a lot of WW2 veterans to study many of the ship classes we play with and I can 100% gar-un-tee you what we do, isn't anywhere near reality in WW2.....  Don't let yourself get angry over a game.....

I hide every match now in my BB's and DD's because it's suicide to get in radar or HE spam range !  So, we sit at 19K and either lob shells or if you are a DD, waiting for a stray to attack.....  Meta has done that and a few players today made their "dislike" of the new meta very clear...............they simply did stupid stuff and made it clear that since the game was now FUBAR, they were going to treat it like a Arcade FPS and play the game that way.......   BONZAI and off they went and did as much damage as they could and usually, burned to death before they could kill anything....match after match after match.....  Do the rules say you must shoot?  There was a player in FO4 that played the entire game without killing a single thing !!!  In MWO, another player did the same thing, never shot a round, and proved that Pilot Skill rating would actually go up by spotting targets and capping points only !!!! 

Think F2P and as the meta gets worse;  player and game quality will tank....... 

[ARGSY]
Members
17,440 posts
12,103 battles
8 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

My favorites are the Tatertotenkopfs who choose to reveal their position by firing when all they had to do was stay dark and sail away to win the game.

Next in line are the game mechanic challenged who sail out of the cap when all they had to do was stay in it 'til it changed color.

I had one of the second type last night. I yelled at him to get back in the cap and take it but he refused. Even the lure of huge XP bonuses failed to keep him in there.

In the end about four of our ships piled in for the win. He was not one of them.

[BEARS]
Members
256 posts
11,499 battles

Or when you have a DD capping, and a giant BBillBBoard with the words shell me, here I am written on it visible from 17km away decides to help him by joining him in the cap.....giving the enemy an opportunity to reset our capping efforts for the next 2:30s 

[LEGIT]
Members
2,195 posts
29,885 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Even the lure of huge XP bonuses failed to keep him in there.

Oh my gosh!  That must have just gone right over the tater's tot.  That or he just didn't care.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,082 posts
7,217 battles
3 hours ago, MokrieDela said:

Or when you have a DD capping, and a giant BBillBBoard with the words shell me, here I am written on it visible from 17km away decides to help him by joining him in the cap.....giving the enemy an opportunity to reset our capping efforts for the next 2:30s 

As long as the DD isn't hit, the BB has no negative effect in the cap.

Those capping points lost when the BB was hit? Those were all gained by the BB. The BB cannot lose capping points gained by the DD.

Basically, with an unspotted DD in the cap, the capping progress is 1 step forward, 0 steps back. With the BB in there, and getting hit, it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back. No net difference.

It's actually not a bad idea. A BB in the cap can dissuade enemies from getting close enough to spot/radar/hydro the capping DD.

• Cool 4

[WOLFG]
Members
27,082 posts
7,217 battles
10 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Hold on a second !  You mean this is a serious game???  I've actually stood on, crawled around in and have interviewed a lot of WW2 veterans to study many of the ship classes we play with and I can 100% gar-un-tee you what we do, isn't anywhere near reality in WW2.....  Don't let yourself get angry over a game.....

Reality has nothing to do with it.

There have been people getting angry over games since games were invented.....

[PVE]
Members
3,672 posts
15,633 battles

Actually, reality has a lot to do with it since WG advertises that this game is based on reality from 1900 to the Korean war era.....  It's what bring people in !  I'm here because of it and my love for the Battleship era....  Some of the ships are from blueprints.  Some are real.  Some are concepts.  Most aren't a 1:1 duplicates and that's fine ! 

BUT, it gets 'touchy' when revenue generation pushes the "reality envelope"....  It's called adaptive friction......when a game culture can't adapt fast enough to new technologies and they chafe and ultimately fight over those changes....  Read Alvin Toffler's works and you'll get the idea....  That is what is going on right now with Radar and HE Spam....   The game population will either fight or flee....  In another game I play, entire teams left the games and the population is so low, the MM simply doesn't work at all... 

That's all I am saying..........  And, yes, they have been fighting since there are multi-player games and successful games have figured out how to mitigate the negativity of change; and, generate revenue; and, keep population growth with "technology gimmicks" causing stress....

[YORHA]
Members
4,764 posts
9,353 battles
On 6/2/2018 at 1:42 AM, Asym_KS said:

I hide every match now in my BB's and DD's because it's suicide to get in radar or HE spam range !  So, we sit at 19K and either lob shells or if you are a DD, waiting for a stray to attack..... 

Never mind.  No point...

Edited by JCC45

[PVE]
Members
3,672 posts
15,633 battles

I agree and I don't really hide and do nothing....  Some dark humor sometimes....  It's getting a little bit better as of yesterday....  Now, there are only 8 "fire ships" and 6 radar ships in a match !!!!  I even more than 1 DD last night !!!!  

Members
567 posts
80 battles
On 6/1/2018 at 9:42 PM, Asym_KS said:

I hide every match now in my BB's and DD's because it's suicide to get in radar or HE spam range !  So, we sit at 19K and either lob shells or if you are a DD, waiting for a stray to attack.....  Meta has done that and a few players today made their "dislike" of the new meta very clear...............they simply did stupid stuff and made it clear that since the game was now FUBAR, they were going to treat it like a Arcade FPS and play the game that way.......   BONZAI and off they went and did as much damage as they could and usually, burned to death before they could kill anything....match after match after match.....  Do the rules say you must shoot?  There was a player in FO4 that played the entire game without killing a single thing !!!  In MWO, another player did the same thing, never shot a round, and proved that Pilot Skill rating would actually go up by spotting targets and capping points only !!!! 

Think F2P and as the meta gets worse;  player and game quality will tank....... 

Game quality tanked partially because of players with your attitude. Instead of applying resourcefulness, deductive reasoning and perseverance in the face of a changing dynamic you decide to take the easy way out and be passive-aggressive and retaliate in the most childish way possible and excuse your behavior in the most common and predictable way: tossing out the "it's just a game" card. 

OK, I get it, not everyone has the intellectual ability to be a unicum player, but a person doesn't get to be 46% at over 2k games played unless they're special or lack self respect or both. 

Since there are plenty of players who don't have problems with fire in their BBs, where is the muscle in your brain that's supposed to go off and say, "I'm clearly making decisions over the course of the game that they are not making. Maybe instead of hiding in my BB like a childish temper tantrum, maybe I should see how they play differently and maybe I can learn how to overcome the challenge I'm facing." 

A lot of quality players left the game because they got tired of being around all these folks with quitter attitudes, it's very unappealing. 

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster
  • Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
3,672 posts
15,633 battles

Oh, be nice....  Remember, we are trying to retain players and insulting them is a bit obtuse and counter-intuitive.  People leave games because they aren't fun...    It's as simple as that.....remember: you reap what you sow.....  Good hunting and have fun !

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,483 posts
4,602 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Remember, we are trying to retain players and insulting them is a bit obtuse and counter-intuitive.

As opposed to insisting that their efforts are pointless and they should get a life? 

Look up the definition of "team player" in the next spare life moment when you're tempted to post here.

• Cool 1

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
469 posts
5,842 battles

I may be accused of stupidly endangering my command, or potatoe, but it isn't for lack of trying to play the right way.

Its all too apparent when other team mates have put themselves out of a position to influence the game. In those matches, I don't mind being one of the first to die needlessly, because my style of play is more "support" than "carry." I'm not playing to carry your bad play to a successful conclusion.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,485 posts
2,179 battles
3 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Oh, be nice....  Remember, we are trying to retain players and insulting them is a bit obtuse and counter-intuitive.  People leave games because they aren't fun...    It's as simple as that.....remember: you reap what you sow.....  Good hunting and have fun !

We are trying to retain players, not childish whiners like you.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I enjoy the game I am not a player who on purpose will die or hide.

I do not Type in Chat EVER.

I see all ship types and classes doing dumb things.

This does not affect the way I play this game.  { 20 mins. invested }

I don't care { Because in a few mins. I can be in another }

Why do players place so much  value on a 20 min game?

Your endeavor to get Stats has blurred the Fun right out of your gaming experience.

Lighten Up you will enjoy your time in Battle so much more.

I don't know the % of Casual to Unicorn players .... But the Casuals have the unicorns outnumbered heavily.

I see the casuals not caring about the "Science of the game " { It is Their Right }

I see the "Holier than Thou"  condemn the casuals for their lack of desire to "Learn the Science of the game" {It is also Their Right} 

I just do not get upset about it and Play to Play.

Nothing anyone can say and certainly do anything to change that one simple fact.

In game Chat bans do not affect me, Karma has Zero Value, Co-Op is a Fun Mode, So being exiled to that is not a punishment.

Instead of Complaining Try Playing the next Battle.

[TORP]
[TORP]
Members
286 posts
28,688 battles

I have on rare occasion sailed of to A1 or J10 and sat out a battle.  I do this only when the rest of the team camps and leaves me High and dry heading for a cap and does not even attempt to shoot the enemy DDs and CAs that are tearing my butt up.  A team that will not support the DDs does not deserve to have spotting or a DD for that matter!!!!  I do announce my retirement to the corner and tell them why in chat 

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
On 6/1/2018 at 9:52 PM, Avenge_December_7 said:

Reveal hidden contents

...I need some sugar.

I hate when this happens. When you whole team is braindead its easier to just accept that fact and move along to the next match. But when your team is good, and you put up one hell of a fight - and lose because of some i*iot, its very annoying.

Beta Testers
223 posts
11,873 battles

This game treats winners and losers equally. That small difference in XP does not really matter.

So there is no reason not to play "I don't care matches."

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

I had a game last night on EU that was a loss because the DD refused to go cap an undefended point.  Instead he drove his IJN DD in circles killing TBers from the dead enemy CV.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,476 posts
17,032 battles

I played Battlefield 2 as a pacifist once.  My goal was not to kill anyone.  I was a medic. I ran around throwing med packs and reviving friendlies.  We won.  I topped out the scoreboard...with ZERO kills.

Yeah, different game...different method.