Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Using my Sims to train up Cruiser Captains

3 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
527 posts
8,531 battles

I am a dd main these days, but the new USN cruiser line has me starting to play USN cruisers again.  I started serious play in WOWs in the St Lo (still LOVE that old lumbering beast), but when I got to the Phoenix and Omaha, I stopped playing cruisers because I was frustrated by how easy it was to delete the Tier IV and V USN cruisers as compared the the St. Lo.  I switched to playing dds almost exclusively and have done well for the most part.  I'm at Tier IX in the USN, and Tier VIII in the IJN, and Pan Asian lines (I even played at Tier X in the Gearing in the last Clan battles-yikes!).  I use my Sims as a Captain trainer for my USN dds because she is a Premium ship.

Now that I'm starting to play my Phoenix and Omaha again, I was wondering if I could use my Sims to do the same thing?  At least 1/2 of the dd Captain skills are interchangeable in a cruiser but it's not a perfect fit. I'm trying to avoid spending $$ to redistribute the skill points when I move the Captain to the Sims and then doing the same thing when he gets moved back.

My Omaha captain has 11 points.  What mix of skills would make sense for BOTH the Sims and he Omaha as a happy medium?

BTW - feel free to call me crazy if you think that this is a bad idea.  I'm OK with grinding up the line with a single USN cruiser captain.  

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,399 posts
10,195 battles

The big issue with using the sims to train Cruiser captains is concealment. with CE you have 6.6km detection. The rest of your chosen skill will probably just be a quality of life reduction when playing the sims. 

If you are training your captains to be AA spec then running it on the Sims will probably be just like running the troll AA spec Sims. 

Probably fine as long as you still pack CE. 

Members
1,686 posts
8,092 battles
35 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

The big issue with using the sims to train Cruiser captains is concealment. with CE you have 6.6km detection. The rest of your chosen skill will probably just be a quality of life reduction when playing the sims. 

If you are training your captains to be AA spec then running it on the Sims will probably be just like running the troll AA spec Sims. 

Probably fine as long as you still pack CE. 

This. You’ll need CE first, where on light cruisers IFHE should take precedence, but Heavy cruiser builds are not far off from DD builds. Generally speaking you'll go:

1. Priority Target

2. Expert Marksman (not really necessary for the Sims, but you can get by without another tier 2 talent to start)

3. Basic Firing Training. While this does not help the main guns like on a DD, every USN cruiser has good enough AA hat it makes sense to at least partially spec for it. 

4. IFHE for light cruisers or CE for heavies.

5. CE if you didn’t take it.

For e most part that is a workable USN DD build. It’s not optimal, but you can make it work. If you’re training up on the Sims just make sure you always get CE first, even if you are playing a CL and mean to take IFHE.

Also, the Indianapolis is being given away free with missions the month, and that could be a good CA trainer. 

Edited by inktomi19d

Sign in to follow this