You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wyngs_2015

I completely stink at CV's

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles

So, Ive spent hours practicing drops, cross dropping DD's, fighter engagements. Finally got up the courage to go into Random. OMG. My opponent was obviously a very experienced CV player seal clubbing. No wonder no one plays CV's, it was a shameful route. I didnt make the mistake of staying in spawn, tried to stay with my fleet, tried to spot DD's. Got a couple of strikes in but they were pretty bad. Still got sniped, but at least it was near the end and we were loosing anyway. Does anyone know, are they really reworking them? Anyone know of what that might entail?

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles

Not sure what thats supposed to mean. Anyways, I think maybe I will just wait and see instead of investing heavily in learning the rope on them....if they are indeed doing a rework................

7 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

The end of the world as we know it.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
13 minutes ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

So, Ive spent hours practicing drops, cross dropping DD's, fighter engagements. Finally got up the courage to go into Random. OMG. My opponent was obviously a very experienced CV player seal clubbing. No wonder no one plays CV's, it was a shameful route. I didnt make the mistake of staying in spawn, tried to stay with my fleet, tried to spot DD's. Got a couple of strikes in but they were pretty bad. Still got sniped, but at least it was near the end and we were loosing anyway. Does anyone know, are they really reworking them? Anyone know of what that might entail?

Dont feel bad lol so do I, that's exactly why I don't bother playing them.  I've got almost 90 percent of Lexington researched.  But I don't play it what so ever.

[STW-N]
Members
3,764 posts
8,540 battles
14 minutes ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

Well, PM me in-game through port chat if you'd like to try out training room with me.

I have carriers at tier 7-9, so I'd be happy to spar with you and offer some tips.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
Members
239 posts
8,988 battles

Same here, I'm not super unicum in CV either. But I'm more than willing to give you some tips on playing CV in random

• Cool 2

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles
5 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Well, PM me in-game through port chat if you'd like to try out training room with me.

I have carriers at tier 7-9, so I'd be happy to spar with you and offer some tips.

4 minutes ago, Top_Gun_1999 said:

Same here, I'm not super unicum in CV either. But I'm more than willing to give you some tips on playing CV in random

Sweet :Smile_great:  I had to get to work in a few. When do you guys usually play? I have Kaga and Saipan at tier 7, Ryujo at 6

[DAKI]
Members
239 posts
8,988 battles

I live in Vancouver so sometime tonight in PST will do good for me, for comms I will use this discord: https://discord.gg/d4RB2ey

Those people inside will give you good tips too ;)

Edited by Top_Gun_1999
  • Cool 1

[STW-N]
Members
3,764 posts
8,540 battles
12 minutes ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

Sweet :Smile_great:  I had to get to work in a few. When do you guys usually play? I have Kaga and Saipan at tier 7, Ryujo at 6

I have a Saipan (mostly take it out in co-op though, and I'll need to swap captains for it).

Generally, I play anytime from the afternoon to late night (around midnight), so about from 3 pm to 12 am at the most.

Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,529 posts
18,812 battles
50 minutes ago, Top_Gun_1999 said:

And they say nobody is helpfull on forums.

And to to it off, carrier help to boot.

+1

• Cool 2

[AP]
[AP]
Beta Testers
12 posts
11,652 battles

Honestly, this is the worst time point to start playing CV. Several reasons: (1) Surface AA is much stronger than it used to be - New lines, including USS light cruiser, French battleships, British ships and even some premium DDs and IJN ships not have strong AA, giving CV players less time to adjust their attack. (2) The change of squadron combination reduces the chance of erasing a ship in one wave of attack - IJN CVs were reworked years ago, greatly reduced their attack power. Now they also changed USS CVs so they cannot carry pure strike load-out, with one exception - the Miday. The Midway has gained two squadron of torpedo bombers, but they are tier 8 bombers. It is still hard to approach a tier X ship with descent AA. In general, this change makes it hard for you to do irreversible contribution: e.g. kill a battleship with good amount of health. (3) More consumables appear to counter destroyers. If you sunk a DD in a CV, your destroyer is safer. Now this mechanism is changing because with recent changes, there are still ways to sunk a DD without the help of your own DD or CV. So wreck an enemy DD is no longer a "irreversible contribution". 

Literally CV player has ZERO fault tolerance, because you have altogether 3-7 waves of precise strikes for a 20 min game. And the whole game is about sinking enemy ships or threating of sinking enemy ships so they won't come closer. If your drop is not perfect, you are counting on your teammates (in which case you spot with planes). And I need not remind every CV player that a spotted ship might not be wrecked in 5 minutes.

If you liked the CV play style, keep working on it and CV can still do a lot of things. But remember, ZERO fault tolerance.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,529 posts
18,812 battles
54 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

It' s nice to see a positive response in the forums concerning helping a new carrier player.

+1

• Cool 3

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,529 posts
18,812 battles
1 hour ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

You received 2 replies to give you personal help.

Just to give you a heads up, the 2 players are in very , very good clans, so any help they give you would be light years ahead of my potato attempt.

Good luck with your training.

I infer from various videos that the rework on carriers could be more first person like in the squadrons.

• Cool 1

Members
3,248 posts
4,322 battles

When people beat you up, watch what they do and try adding their "tricks" into your game play.

Also take your lumps in ramdoms and you will get better. Co op is a bad teacher and sets you up for failure. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,720 battles

I disagree.  Co Op is a good place to practice basic command and control, especially before moving up a tier.  After that, the place to learn to play the actual battles is in an Independence.  You don't have a buttload of stuff to work with and it plays properly, unlike Tier V and IV which has already fallen under the rEwOnK

[SIDE]
Members
3,594 posts

I’m bad at them too. Embrace the suck. Channel that frustration into making red ships suffer in some other type. Lol!

Members
3,248 posts
4,322 battles
13 minutes ago, Big_Tidday_Goth_GF said:

I disagree.  Co Op is a good place to practice basic command and control, especially before moving up a tier.  After that, the place to learn to play the actual battles is in an Independence.  You don't have a buttload of stuff to work with and it plays properly, unlike Tier V and IV which has already fallen under the rEwOnK

The bot cvs don't strafe, don't drop right and won't sit back waiting for allied he to do its job on red aa. 

You need to face human cvs to build the correct skill set to be successful. 

Everything you learn in co op can summed up as "hold alt, learn to aim then practice".

Hell you don't even get a taste of counter strafe tactics until you hit randoms. Much less an exit strafing saipan. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,283 posts
23,177 battles
48 minutes ago, TaKEshika said:

(snip)

If you liked the CV play style, keep working on it and CV can still do a lot of things. But remember, ZERO fault tolerance.

I do; but apparently my strategic sense is terrible, makes it really hard to influence things.

Looking at WoWs stats and numbers last night; for all I think I’m bad at carriers, they’re still my best ships in Randoms, apparently.

25 minutes ago, Big_Tidday_Goth_GF said:

Love the heck out of driving carriers on Co-op. Learned more about alt/manual attacks and strafing there than I ever did getting curbstomped in Randoms.

Don’t know about that last; always do pretty good in 4 and 5. Quality of the rest of the teams many times leaves much to be desired.

Not much a carrier can do when the losses are 3, 4, or 5 to 0, or maybe 1, before your first strike even gets back to the ship.

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles

22 hours ago, Top_Gun_1999 said:

I live in Vancouver so sometime tonight in PST will do good for me, for comms I will use this discord: https://discord.gg/d4RB2ey

Those people inside will give you good tips too ;)

22 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I have a Saipan (mostly take it out in co-op though, and I'll need to swap captains for it).

Generally, I play anytime from the afternoon to late night (around midnight), so about from 3 pm to 12 am at the most.

Wow, thanks guys. Its so nice to see experienced players offer to help us taters. Sorry I couldnt play, had to work last night and tonight. I will figure out how to add you or find you or whatever. I dont have a headset, wouldnt know how if I did lol

Edited by Wyngs_2015