You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldSaltyOne

Sorry guys but I have a Friday random question for you.

19 comments in this topic

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

Okay so you're playing in a tier 8 to 10 match.  You are in a battle ship sailing in a straight line behind an island.  A tier 10 decides to start backing up because he almost runs into an island and beaches him or herself.  The player actually backs up into you and gets stuck.  So I ask is this your fault for driving forward or his or her fault for backing up into you.  I'm seeing this happen quite frequently in the higher tiers.  Then the player that gets stuck on the island that originally backed up into you starts yelling at you in chat blaming you for getting himself stuck.  So is it your fault or theirs?  You both get the pink damage count for it.  

[HDM]
Members
388 posts
15,041 battles

Think of it like an auto accident. If the front of your car is damaged it was most likely your fault.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
Just now, DukeRamulots said:

Think of it like an auto accident. If the front of your car is damaged it was most likely your fault.

But the whole thing of it is they were the ones backing up and should have stopped.  A tier 8 to 10 ship cant turn or stop on a dime so you have to take that into consideration as well.

[HDM]
Members
388 posts
15,041 battles
Just now, SuperSpud1 said:

But the whole thing of it is they were the ones backing up and should have stopped.  A tier 8 to 10 ship cant turn or stop on a dime so you have to take that into consideration as well.

I wasn't there, I'm just saying that in most cases the guy with front end damage is at fault.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

Well now here comes the second part the player drives forward and gets stuck on the island.  Whos fault is that yours or theirs?

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
6 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Honestly it’s kind of on both of you but it’s randoms so it is your fault no matter what. If you are showing broadside in order to get behind the island to take cover and they stop you, yeah you have a right to be mad. If they are backing up and you’re just sailing straight toward the island I would say they have a right to be mad because you should realize what they are doing since they beached and avoid it. But like I said, it’s randoms so you could stop them from backing up into torps and they would still yell at you in chat for running into them...

1 minute ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Well now here comes the second part the player drives forward and gets stuck on the island.  Whos fault is that yours or theirs?

If they were already stuck, it’s your fault because you pushed them back into it.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
7 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Honestly it’s kind of on both of you but it’s randoms so it is your fault no matter what. If you are showing broadside in order to get behind the island to take cover and they stop you, yeah you have a right to be mad. If they are backing up and you’re just sailing straight toward the island I would say they have a right to be mad because you should realize what they are doing since they beached and avoid it. But like I said, it’s randoms so you could stop them from backing up into torps and they would still yell at you in chat for running into them...

If they were already stuck, it’s your fault because you pushed them back into it.

If they already started driving forward to get "unstuck" it's theirs they drove forward.   I'm just trying to get a consensus on what every body thinks about this.  Cause I know it doesn't just happen to me.

Beta Testers
2,317 posts
4,748 battles
23 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Extreamely difficult to see behind you. Very easy to see in front of you.

Typically I just always apologize for a ram my fault or not. It takes 2 to tango. But you just have to wonder where the other guy was looking if he couldn't see you in front of him.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

Exactly because it turns into a basic shouting match every time it happens and quite bluntly I'm getting tired of it.

[RLGN]
Members
13,282 posts
23,177 battles
30 minutes ago, DukeRamulots said:

I wasn't there, I'm just saying that in most cases the guy with front end damage is at fault.

Right or wrong, generally how the cops look at it.

Neither is at fault? Blame WG and a high-tier meta that promotes camping/bow-tanking/backing up...

• Cool 1

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

I rarely ever bow tank I mostly play my Missouri or Kurfurst I don't really see a need to bow tank.  Both have suitable armor.  Of course unless the red player gets a lucky citadel hit on you then yea SOL.

[VW]
Members
3,798 posts
18,423 battles

In California if you hit their rear end it’s ALWAYS your fault. Now in wows it doesn’t matter whose fault it is, but if you eat cits because of it thats motivation enough to avoid the situation. Zoom out very often and look around you, check minimap to see where you are/he is. 

For me the real problem is you turning pink from these scuffles, sure you didnt fire and light him on fire? Ive never turned pink merely from traffic accidents in game.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles
3 hours ago, SwirvinBirds said:

Typically I just always apologize for a ram my fault or not. 

This- 

You're in a battleship obviously maneuvering in behind an island... What ship type was run aground? Was this just a question of two battleships hiding behind an island? That's another discussion I guess. 

I'd consider the smaller ship more culpable since larger ships are not as free to maneuver. With the other guy being grounded no matter what he's in it's obviously not as easy for them to maneuver around you either. Or he's "almost grounded-" it's not entirely clear in your post. Almost 7000 battles in I'd expect that you'd have some common sense to A) Maneuver around a guy as he's trying to become unstuck unless you yourself are maneuvering evasively away from torpedoes or something else B) Feel secure enough in a reasonable decision that you can manage the hurtful words of someone who is mad at you for pinning him against an island. 

Frankly, it sounds like you pulled a douchie move hitting him while he was trying to get unglued. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
882 posts
15,483 battles

In most states a common statute exists similar to this:

"No driver shall back a vehicle unless the movement can be made with safety and without interfering with other traffic and then only after yielding the right-of-way to
moving traffic and pedestrians".

Obviously not a lot of pedestrian traffic out there but you get the point. BTW this was taken from PA Title 75 Section 3702 Limitations on Backing. If you were moving forward and he was backing up, then legally you had the right of way. 

Enjoy. 

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,500 posts
10,326 battles

In ships, its different than autos.  There is so much momentum that prevents rapid avoidance maneuvers.  If he was obviously backing up before you got there, then you should yield and avoid impact.  If you were headed there and had no other option to turn away or avoid the area and it was obvious that you were going there, then he should yield.  In the end, both players need to be aware of what the other ship might do and try to avoid contact.  When contact happens, just apologize, even if it was unavoidable on your part.  Stuff happens.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts
4 hours ago, SuperSpud1 said:

WG's fault because it should be impossible to get permanently stuck on an island and I think we all know that isn't the case.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

Wow lolz I should have titled this thread proper WoWs ship driving etiquette.  L M F A O

Alpha Tester
3,710 posts
1,392 battles

I dont consider collisions to be inherently bad. Ive rammed people out of eating torps before. I think they should do away with friendly collision damage.

Id rather someone ram me to avoid getting cit than stay clear. For this reason i often dont think anything of these events, they are an inconvenience for both so i assume people would not have done it for no reason on purpose.

As far as who is at fault if something does happen and results in an issue, id say its the one who was in the best position to prevent it from happening. Awareness is included. This means if you see you will collide with someone but make no efforts to prevent it then you are at fault for it, you shouldn't just assume people notice you, and getting upset they didn't when you could have fixed the problem is unhelpful. If both could have prevented it, both are at fault, etc. You shouldn't think in terms of formal right away in the middle of a fight.

[TDRB]
Members
4,252 posts
12,250 battles

So is it your fault or theirs? 

It your fault. you are the Pandora of World of Warships & opened up all the evils that befalls on T10 ship drivers.

I do believe the attitude you related is more prevalent among T10 drivers.