You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
warlord_ilhanicus

Need help with early game BB play

6 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
2,436 battles

I don't really know how to handle the early game as a BB player. It feels like most of the time I find a few buddies, either cruisers or other BBs, who are on their way in and I follow them, and then as soon as battle is joined I look around and suddenly I'm all alone. I then usually get focused down and die because I'm just too slow to get away. i'll go in, circle back when I discover I'm alone, and then usually either die or lose a huge chunk of my health disengaging. This has led me to play VERY conservatively, especially in my Japanese BBs that really don't feel like they handle return fire as well as my KM BBs. During the games where I actually live long enough to see the mid and end game I usually shine and do pretty well, particularly in my KM BBs. I feel like there has to be something I'm doing wrong though, I refuse to believe BB captains just sit there and cower until the lobby thins out. 

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
18,579 battles

I would tell you in general to stay mid-ish range at the start of a match.  Close enough to support any ships in front of you with effective fire, but far enough back that you can disengage if things get too hot.  Sometimes you just have to keep swooping in and out until something gives.

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

I think your mindset is wrong.  Battleships along with destroyers are the ships that their presence (in the case of destroyers their unseen presence) can prevent enemies from advancing.  Instead of looking for some buddies to roll with think to yourself where should I be exerting this influence.  If all your BBs lemming to one side, then your presence is needed on the other or it will be rolled if the enemy is at all competent.  If you spawn on a side with a destroyer that wants to contest a cap you should move as close to the cap as possible so that you can both influence the distance their cruisers can be to the cap, provide effective fire on spotted enemy destroyers in the cap, and MOST IMPORTANTLY survive the engagement at the cap to continue to exert this influence in its future defense or the push to the next cap.  What this distance is depends on your ship, your skill, and potential ways of escape.

I think based on your post that you need to be thinking more about how you would escape when you make your move, but also thinking more strategically will reduce the chances of you being left alone as well.  You do need to play defensively until the majority of the enemy are spotted, so you don't get wrecked if 75% of their team want to push your flank.  However, this does not mean that you can't be positioned aggressively.   You just need to also have your ship turned so that it is ready to run if the enemy comes blasting through or have an island nearby that you can slip behind to disengage.  Running is your best defense against torpedoes especially at low tiers and it can get enemies to overextend into your allies as well.  Unfortunately the defenders have the advantage in this game so it is often best to run even if you are on even terms.

If you post replays, I'm sure someone will be able to help you in more detail or you can consider submitting a replay to @Lord_Zath 's replay theater on twitch/youtube.

Edited by mrh308

Members
785 posts
3,318 battles

It is very smart to go for the win following CL/CA and DD’s but most of the time they will run. Low tiers, I say play conservatively and go for damage... a ton of people will disagree but it’s what most people in randoms do so why not. If you’re with friends or people who say they will help, push forward and rank for them. Really do whatever you feel helps your team most and try not to be the only BB on whatever flank you are on.

[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,802 posts
19,520 battles

Yeah I'll absolutely take a replay and check it out...  probably this weekend!  Please be sure to reference this thread when you e-mail it to me and I can get yours in on the priority list :)

[BLHK]
Members
558 posts
26 minutes ago, warlord_ilhanicus said:

I feel like there has to be something I'm doing wrong though, I refuse to believe BB captains just sit there and cower until the lobby thins out. 

About the only thing you are doing wrong is thinking the team will operate as a cohesive force with a plan :) As others have suggested move up so that potential targets are in range, but not close enough that you are in every red ships range.