You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cgbosn4

Tough being a T8 - T10 destroyer these days...

30 comments in this topic

[USCG]
Members
526 posts
17,927 battles

With the release of the new US cruisers my beloved high tier destroyers are getting hammered port and/or starboard.  As primarily a DD driver I'm used to having to face 2-3 radar cruisers/BBs but things seem a bit heavy radar wise these days.  It's one thing to get detected, but detected followed by detected, followed by detected makes ones work difficult at times.  Capping right at the beginning of a match is almost impossible and often a death wish.

Hope things go back to "semi-normal" soon...

• Cool 1

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Being a gunboat Destroyer for the near future will be increasingly difficult. Time to move to the torp droppers and chill 12+km out.

Members
653 posts

I'm a DD main and haven't had a ton of trouble with the proliferation of radar. I have noticed, however, that BBs are being more cautious as usual. This makes spotting way more dangerous and much less rewarding (from a fun perspective), since BBs are focusing on kiting more than shooting.

[RKLES]
Members
11,796 posts
13,379 battles

Lol you are lucky, I have seen some DDs get hammer from bow, stern, port, starboard, and from above. It is likely the latest fad of having a new Cruiser Line. Same thing happens in tanks, everyone wants to try out the latest thing. Then eventually things often go back to normal in about a week to a month. In the mean time enjoy the new meta since it is not everyday you get ques like they are currently. 

[RKLES]
Members
11,796 posts
13,379 battles
2 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Being a gunboat Destroyer for the near future will be increasingly difficult. Time to move to the torp droppers and chill 12+km out.

Lol I simply moved up to larger sized “DD”, been using Mogami a lot today. I still get to spam a lot of HE shells and drop Torps, and my Torps just cleared a middle base as I slipped by unseen courtesy of the enemy smoke screen.

And if you really want to drive the cruisers bananas then grab a BB, enemy did not enjoy my Yamato this morning, but my team certainly did... :Smile_teethhappy:

[SQUAD]
Members
2,081 posts
11,922 battles

I have found, that taking my Biz right at the new wave of cruisers is moderately effective, surprising to them and a lot of fun... it doesn't always result in a win, but it does shake up the battle and has won more than lost... as for the life of the high tier DD... it just got way tougher.. when there are 5 and 6 radar ships on the opposing team, it does make it challenging...

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I'd think that Cruiser hunter BB like Scharnhorst, and GC would be ideal under the current circumstances?

• Cool 1

[SQUAD]
Members
2,081 posts
11,922 battles
1 minute ago, Canadatron said:

I'd think that Cruiser hunter BB like Scharnhorst, and GC would be ideal under the current circumstances?

Absotiviely Posilutely.... 

• Cool 1

[RST]
Members
181 posts
22,064 battles

I would like to say I understand, but I haven't been a great DD driver. Though I do love the Akasuki. The more radar is to be expected as the game progresses. 

[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles
27 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

With the release of the new US cruisers my beloved high tier destroyers are getting hammered port and/or starboard.  As primarily a DD driver I'm used to having to face 2-3 radar cruisers/BBs but things seem a bit heavy radar wise these days.  It's one thing to get detected, but detected followed by detected, followed by detected makes ones work difficult at times.  Capping right at the beginning of a match is almost impossible and often a death wish.

Imagine being a carrier player with all these lovely, strong AA USN cruisers floating about on the high seas!    Not that I have any love for carriers (cuz I don't), but I think that carrier players probably have it rougher than the DD players!  If anything, I think that good DD players willing to risk it may find it more rewarding to play their DDs now with fewer DDs around to compete against, both on their own team and the enemy team.

Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles
11 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

I'd just bring out my Monty to stomp the life out of some poor, helpless T8 Clevelands right now.  

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
3 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I'd just bring out my Monty to stomp the life out of some poor, helpless T8 Clevelands right now.  

That's the Spirit!

[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles
24 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Almost any tier 10 BB can get the job done.  And some of the tier 9's too.  The Yammy might do a good job, though I often wonder if her 18" guns are too powerful and produce too many overpens on cruisers, for their (the guns) own good.  There may be something to be said for the smaller guns at tier 10 in this regard, when engaging cruisers.

[CAST]
Members
4,898 posts
3,416 battles

Honestly, due to the huge number of radar cruisers in queue this week, if I'm playing DD, I flat out tell the team in chat that if they want me to cap, they need to support me by shooting the radar cruisers the moment they get spotted. I am absolutely not interested in capping if my nearest teammate is 15km away. I also always immediately turn around in the cap and stop with my bow pointed back to spawn in case I need to run in a hurry.

Take risks, but don't be stupid either.

The one positive in all this is that the DD line I'm grinding up now is the Grozovoi tree (currently at Ognevoi), so at least my guns are very reliable at long range, so if I can't sneak up to ships, I can at least run and gun. I can reliably hit them 14km away. They can't.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers
389 posts
6,710 battles
20 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol you are lucky, I have seen some DDs get hammer from bow, stern, port, starboard, and from above. It is likely the latest fad of having a new Cruiser Line. Same thing happens in tanks, everyone wants to try out the latest thing. Then eventually things often go back to normal in about a week to a month. In the mean time enjoy the new meta since it is not everyday you get ques like they are currently. 

Can probably expect it to last a bit longer than usual this time. With 7.5 we got the revamped main line + t8 cleve. Lots of cleve's, balti's, and buffalos. Next patch (7.6) we're likely getting the rest of the light cruisers, so expect lots of them during that time as well. 

Can roughly expect american CAs to be feasting on DDs for at least a good 2 months.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles
2 hours ago, cgbosn4 said:

Just pull out your Kiev, Tash, Khab, or whatever your favorite RU DD is.  RU DDs don't care about radar and laugh at moon shells trying to hit them.

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
3,812 posts
18,444 battles
2 hours ago, cgbosn4 said:

Try being a high tier bb who actually supports a cap but has no one to spot for him.

[HEROS]
Members
1,928 posts
16,563 battles

Lets see, US heavy cruiser line reworked, rest of light cruiser line due shortly.  Much radar and hydro everywhere for DD's to deal with.  CV drivers see amount of AA and go looking for better easier target.. ah look "A DD!".  yep, all around a little bit tougher for DD's.  On the other hand you do get a target rich environment!

IJN getting a new tier IX and X DD based on Akizuki.  Good AA... But, no AA defence consumable!  So getting busted by a CV?  Stand ready to suck it up!   Either way doesn't matter, even in Gearing if a CV wants you bad nuff, yer sunk!

And I am seeing fewer DD's over all in higher tier matches.  It's the "new ship's" thing.  It's happened before!   Also expect UK DD line "in Progress" reports soon.  Hiada just made the dev facebook page as under development.  Happy days for Canadian representation with this storied ship.  Pan American line coming also.

Members
4,410 posts
17,771 battles

It aint exactly a cake walk driving Cruisers at tiers 8-10 either pard.

[SIDE]
Members
3,606 posts
3 hours ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Please don’t. Lol. There are enough 16” shells being shot at me as it is.

[SIDE]
Members
3,606 posts
1 hour ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Lets see, US heavy cruiser line reworked, rest of light cruiser line due shortly.  Much radar and hydro everywhere for DD's to deal with.  CV drivers see amount of AA and go looking for better easier target.. ah look "A DD!".  yep, all around a little bit tougher for DD's.  On the other hand you do get a target rich environment!

IJN getting a new tier IX and X DD based on Akizuki.  Good AA... But, no AA defence consumable!  So getting busted by a CV?  Stand ready to suck it up!   Either way doesn't matter, even in Gearing if a CV wants you bad nuff, yer sunk!

And I am seeing fewer DD's over all in higher tier matches.  It's the "new ship's" thing.  It's happened before!   Also expect UK DD line "in Progress" reports soon.  Hiada just made the dev facebook page as under development.  Happy days for Canadian representation with this storied ship.  Pan American line coming also.

Just stay closer to fleet and use as umbrella until later in game when planes have been culled back a bit.

[RKLES]
Members
11,796 posts
13,379 battles
6 hours ago, Raigir said:

Can probably expect it to last a bit longer than usual this time. With 7.5 we got the revamped main line + plus t8 cleve. Lots of cleve's, balti's, and buffalos. Next patch (7.6) we're likely getting the rest of the light cruisers, so expect lots of them during that time as well. 

Can roughly expect american CAs to be feasting on DDs for at least a good 2 months.

That depends on how much players like me decide to feast on the USN CAs with other CA types and with some choice BBs lol. But not just DDs suffering at the moment, CVs as well due to the fact USN CAs carry such strong AA and are harder to hit from the air compared to BBs.

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,846 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

That depends on how much players like me decide to feast on the USN CAs with other CA types and with some choice BBs lol. But not just DDs suffering at the moment, CVs as well due to the fact USN CAs carry such strong AA and are harder to hit from the air compared to BBs.

Good luck with that. They will burn you to death behind islands. :Smile-_tongue:

[WOLFB]
Members
3,320 posts
13,709 battles

Better enjoy your DD games right now because when Worcester will come out, it will be the best time to take out your BB. 

[RKLES]
Members
11,796 posts
13,379 battles
40 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Good luck with that. They will burn you to death behind islands. :Smile-_tongue:

USN CAs have the drawback of being shorter firing range than some of their rivals. I can stay out of range and rain down AP shells into them. Or my rule secondary build Bismarck can fire spam the cruisers just as rapidly as they can against me and then you add in main guns on top of that lol. Or my Mogami is stealthier than USN and carries Torps, been a. Lot of fun. Gneisenau carries Torps, 8km Secondaries, 15’ gun’s, good Armor, and high speed that rival cruisers. Graf Spee is another fun cruiser Killer with those Torps and BB guns it carries. Mid Tier RN BBs carry nice heavy AP shells, decent Concealment, and varying Damage Control and Repair Party Consumables that are helpful in holding out against CAs fire spamming a little longer. And you can just imagine what my Missouri and Yamato are doungbto the new CAs lol.

I have the fun advantage of not wanting to proceed through new USN CAs at this time, so I get to use some of my well trained captains on well eqquiped ships that I am well practiced in using to fight some ships that may have captains too low in level or in retraining. The new ships will be unfamiliar to many and quite possibly not fully equipped.